Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What would you like to see in Insomniac's next Spider-Man game?

I was wondering what you'd like to see in the next game, in terms of story, characters, gameplay, lore and so on?

Characters:
    • For villains, I'd like to see Boomerang, Lizard, Mysterio, Kraven, Hydro-Man, Beetle and of course, the Green Goblin.
    • For supporting cast, I'd like to see Randy Robertson, Teresa Parker, Ned Leeds, Ben Urich, and Flash Thompson.
    • For other heroes, I wouldn't mind seeing the Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Luke Cage, some X-Men, and affiliated characters like Cloak & Dagger, Scarlet Spider, or Firestar, so long as the focus is primarily on Spidey still.

More specifically:
    • A specific idea I have for Beetle -- Abe Jenkins appears as a reoccurring villain to fight under the Beetle identity, and then at some point he shows up again as MACH-1, his initial plan being to pose as a hero while still secretly a villain. You team up with him for a few missions (Spidey not realizing that he's Beetle), and then Abe realizes it's better to be a good guy, and permanently goes legit like in the comics.
    • Norman Osborn will likely be the main villain. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even more after the Dark Reign era with Osborn as an active politician, who also secretly acts as the Green Goblin, and Harry as Venom is his enforcer. The final battle is an intense duel between Peter and Osborn, on the familiar bridge.
    • I would like Boomerang to take after Nick Spencer's characterization of him, and have him be Peter's roommate.

Other:
    • Also, no civilian stealth sections, please! They're probably going to introduce Miles as a second playable character, with more focus on invisibility and venom blasts, but please no stealth segments. They were a slog, and there were too many of them.
    • I wouldn't mind if there was a mission or two that takes you outside NYC. Like, imagine they find a reason for Spidey to go to California, or visit the Savage Land, as breaks from the NYC setting.
    • Going with the above other heroes part, I wouldn't mind them, as the world has been well-established. Having Spider-Man team up with different heroes would be fun, and thankfully Insomniac knew to build Spidey's side of the world first unlike how the MCU handled it.

Anyways, just some ideas for now. What about you guys?

Gwen insteady of MJ, Kraven, Mysterio, Lizard, Sandman, Chameleon, Green Goblin (Norman Osborn) and Venom (Eddie Brock)

My expectations/Wish List:

- Black Suit Spider-Man, natch. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the suit and how it adds to gameplay, especially compared to Web of Shadows. I wonder if they'll give Miles some of Peter's gear to make up for not needing them with the Black Suit.

- All the major villains who were teased in the first game but didn't appear (Mysterio, Sandman, Kraven, Chameleon, Lizard, etc.)

- With Yuri/Wraith as an antagonist now (and likely to get her own mission in the game necessitating Peter stopping her), I expect Captain Stacy will take over her job and as Spidey's police liasion. I'm also expecting Gwen will show up as a girl at Miles' school who he's crushing and be very Barbara Gordon/Batgirl-lite.

- I hope we get to see Robbie and the Bugle show up. Maybe Peter won't be working there again, but they'll give him photo missions that he can do.

- Building up to the Green Goblin, though I expect Venom will be the Big Bad.

- We might get more Superior teasing with Doc Ock in prison.

- Playable Black Cat would be nice, if they decide to bring her back.

- If we don't get those stealth missions with MJ, then I figure they will try and work in sequences in the game with a similar feel of someone powerless going through dangerous Superhero situations.

- No Screwball missions.

Astonishing Member

No cameos from other superheroes. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Don’t kill off Peter. He and Miles can coexist, especially since they’re framing Miles as Peter’s sidekick.

Don’t bring back Doc Ock, at least in this game. It would be too soon.

Obviously, be able to play as both Peter and Miles.

BANNED

Obviously we are going to have some stuff like a Playable Miles Morales and stuff with Harry Venom that might carry over in the next game. As well as stuff dealing with Wraith.

My personal wish-list:

-- I would like a Spider-Man versus Juggernaut battle that matches the scale of Roger Stern's classic story. In the original story, Juggernaut crashed on Battery Park in South Manhattan before moving towards Midtown, so you need a boss battle on the same scale, Spider-Man battles Juggernaut across a huge chunk of the open-world map and in multiple stages. I also think Spider-Man versus Morlun or Firelord would be a good idea. Games as a whole don't have the rights issues so Spider-Man can absolutely fight Juggernaut in the same way he fought Taskmaster.
    -- Kraven the Hunter. HUNTED has a plot ready made for games and movies. A giant dome across Central Park or whatever where Kraven unleashes animal-themed beings in a grand hunt. To up the stakes to open-world level I'd say you need to make New York bigger than before and Central Park much bigger than it was in Spider-Man PS4 Part 1. Maybe do it in multiple stages with domes across the city in different parts. Adapting KLH into games is hard to impossible in and of itself since it's so character-driven (it's suited to movies more than games) but maybe have some bits of it seep through.
    -- I've been playing some narrative action rpg like Witcher which had a choice mechanic and so on. I think you can maybe incorporate that with Spider-Man. Spider-Man is a do-gooder so you can't have choices like "kill people" or be a "douchebag" but Witcher III had options and quests where what seemed like doing a good thing or listening to someone you thought was a good person turns out to be a mistake. That can fit in with Spider-Man perfectly. Since that's part of the overall themes. Likewise, the good ending of Witcher III involves Geralt a good dad with Ciri in a series of situations where the right thing to do isn't immediately apparent. That can also be incorporated since so much of Spider-Man's problems are down to stuff like that.

make mj look hotter and less annoying it was disrespectful last game. Dont kill Peter to elevate Miles have both green goblin and venom have black cat in the main storyline. if the theory of this universe being the same as the marvel avengers is true then allow some cameos like daredevil, doctor strange, luke cage like we visit their areas but dont see them.
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    I also think Spider-Man versus Morlun or Firelord would be a good idea.
    I'm imagining Spidey building a Anti-Inheritor/Herald (Bat)Suit in the final battle against Morlun/Firelord.

Yes, I would appreciate if he was less Batman in the next game.
    Last edited by Hugo Strange; 11-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My expectations/Wish List:

- Black Suit Spider-Man, natch. It'll be interesting to see how they handle the suit and how it adds to gameplay, especially compared to Web of Shadows. I wonder if they'll give Miles some of Peter's gear to make up for not needing them with the Black Suit.
    To be fair, if that last scene with Norman and Harry is any hint, I don't think Peter will end up using the black suit.

I could be wrong though, but if there's a symbiote bonded with Harry, I just don't see Peter getting it.

Either way, with the way the game plays, assuming the second game works in a similar way, then the black suit would either replace gadgets when you use it, or it'd have just some power like the other suits.

- All the major villains who were teased in the first game but didn't appear (Mysterio, Sandman, Kraven, Chameleon, Lizard, etc.)
    I wonder what they could even do to make Chameleon work though, like, Mysterio can throw a lot of **** at you before he's taken down in one punch, what would Chameleon do? Disguise himself as some people you have to guess before punching him out?

- With Yuri/Wraith as an antagonist now (and likely to get her own mission in the game necessitating Peter stopping her), I expect Captain Stacy will take over her job and as Spidey's police liasion. I'm also expecting Gwen will show up as a girl at Miles' school who he's crushing and be very Barbara Gordon/Batgirl-lite.
    It'd be funny to see Gwen from the same universe as Peter be that much younger than him lol.

- I hope we get to see Robbie and the Bugle show up. Maybe Peter won't be working there again, but they'll give him photo missions that he can do.
    I think he could be working there just to get some money until he finds another job, but effectively it'd have no story importance and be just some quests.

- No Screwball missions.
    Nah man, she was the best thing of the DLCs

-- I would like a Spider-Man versus Juggernaut battle that matches the scale of Roger Stern's classic story. In the original story, Juggernaut crashed on Battery Park in South Manhattan before moving towards Midtown, so you need a boss battle on the same scale, Spider-Man battles Juggernaut across a huge chunk of the open-world map and in multiple stages. I also think Spider-Man versus Morlun or Firelord would be a good idea. Games as a whole don't have the rights issues so Spider-Man can absolutely fight Juggernaut in the same way he fought Taskmaster.
    Making Juggernaut be a boss would be complicated, like, if he's like the Stern story, then by implementing that in gameplay, he's an immortal boss until you bring him to a specific location for him to be beaten. And if you do like Shattered dimensions, then Juggernaut got worfed.

Not saying that those are the only two options, but Juggernaut is a complicated thing to implement on video games.

One thing they could do if they go for the "Immortal boss" route, is to make it so you have to keep protecting civilians, so instead of attacking him, you save people, and that could be the difficulty of his boss battle.

I'm personally against Firelord, Spidey shouldn't be beating someone on that caliber, specially like he did in the comics...

-- I've been playing some narrative action rpg like Witcher which had a choice mechanic and so on. I think you can maybe incorporate that with Spider-Man. Spider-Man is a do-gooder so you can't have choices like "kill people" or be a "douchebag" but Witcher III had options and quests where what seemed like doing a good thing or listening to someone you thought was a good person turns out to be a mistake. That can fit in with Spider-Man perfectly. Since that's part of the overall themes. Likewise, the good ending of Witcher III involves Geralt a good dad with Ciri in a series of situations where the right thing to do isn't immediately apparent. That can also be incorporated since so much of Spider-Man's problems are down to stuff like that.
    Yeah, that'd be fitting with Spidey, was kinda surprised it wasn't there at all in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    make mj look hotter and less annoying it was disrespectful last game. Dont kill Peter to elevate Miles have both green goblin and venom have black cat in the main storyline. if the theory of this universe being the same as the marvel avengers is true then allow some cameos like daredevil, doctor strange, luke cage like we visit their areas but dont see them.
    I mean, by dialogues and items you find, at least Avengers and Daredevil exist, maybe some others, but I don't remember...

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Strange View Post
    I'm imagining Spidey building a Anti-Inheritor/Herald (Bat)Suit in the final battle against Morlun/Firelord.

Yes, I would appreciate if he was less Batman in the next game.
    Yeah, while I like how the anti-Ock suit looks like, I didn't see that much point to it, undermines Spidey by making him create a suit just to take down that guy.

Either way, I think Kraven could be used for the "Taskmaster-style" quests, where he puts those challenges to observe Spidey, similar to Taskmaster sure, but I think to differentiate them, Kraven could lay traps, on top of making you fight enemies, to differentiate 'em.

Also, suit abilities need to not be garbage this time, seriously, having 3 minutes of cooldown of some suit powers that you can only use for 30 seconds or less? This is just boring and lazy, makes the majority of the suits not be worth using in any way, so you either use the default suit (To have more focus, even then, with some specific upgrades, it wouldn't really be worth it after a while), or the classic suit (It defeats a lot of enemies fast and cooldown wasn't too bad if I'm not wrong, but even if it was, it's better than most at taking down enemies), I personally also use the Spider-Armor MK.II since being bullet proof for 30 seconds is good, and the other armor suits are useless by comparison (Reflecting bullets like another one does isn't as useful, and ivulnerability to everything for 15 seconds with an even longer cooldown isn't worth it), and Fear Itself suit is at least useable against bosses... But that's just 4 suits with useful power lol.

Also, Miles, I really wonder what they'll do to make him work, if the game itself is any hint, he's a super genius too, but I hope he doesn't get gadgets like Peter, but on the other hand, Venom Blast and his invisibility would be a lot harder to be flexible, or at least as flexible as Peter's gadgets.

Web zipping upwards could come back too, like come on, sometimes I just wanna go up. Web zipping downwards should be there too, I'm surprised only 2D Spidey games (Or at least that 2D Shattered Dimensions) have give him the ability to do that, going from air to ground fast with Spidey should be important to make his movement more flexible.

There are other stuff I'd like to be changed or gone, like skill trees, level up system, and having to gather different kinds of resources to get upgrades, and Spidey being faster when attacking (I always found it weird that he can move while webbing so fast, but his attack speed is slow) but they're probably here to stay, so whatever.

As for story, I honestly only hope they address that cliffhanger with Norman and Harry possibly having the symbiote, and if they use multiple villains again, they could be developed better, Sinister Six are just kinda there aside from Otto and Martin.

I don't think other heroes should show up, or if they do, not too much, this is a Spider-Man game keep it Spidey focused.

If they replicated Spider-Man vs. Firelord, it should play out like the story: an intense chase where you lead him into a subway, then building explosion, then gas station, then finally the beatdown, with a word for word delivery of the speech.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I wonder what they could even do to make Chameleon work though, like, Mysterio can throw a lot of **** at you before he's taken down in one punch, what would Chameleon do? Disguise himself as some people you have to guess before punching him out?
    Well it could be a Witcher III side mission quest where you have to decipher and find Chameleon based on context-cues, dialogue options to know about certain supporting characters, and also with a little help of the spider-sense. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which is also a narrative RPG you had a side quest where you had to choose an impostor between two identical twins...you had to sort it out based on your interactions with the characters and certain word choices they use. You could also do it like a series of side missions where you have to spot Chameleon as he moves through a crowd and pick him out among random NPC.

There are loads of ways to do it.

It'd be funny to see Gwen from the same universe as Peter be that much younger than him lol.
    You kind of saw that in ITSV, where Peter B. has absolutely nothing to do with Gwen in any way.

Making Juggernaut be a boss would be complicated, like, if he's like the Stern story, then by implementing that in gameplay, he's an immortal boss until you bring him to a specific location for him to be beaten. And if you do like Shattered dimensions, then Juggernaut got worfed.

Not saying that those are the only two options, but Juggernaut is a complicated thing to implement on video games.

One thing they could do if they go for the "Immortal boss" route, is to make it so you have to keep protecting civilians, so instead of attacking him, you save people, and that could be the difficulty of his boss battle.
    I think there are a range of ways to do it. I am thinking of Shadow of the Colossus especially a giant guard-dog who rampages around a ruined temple near the end. He goes fast and breaks stuff around him an you had to get on top of the dog to find a weak spot to wear it down bit by bit. There's also Dark Souls and Bloodborne where some of the bosses you fight are really big and really fast. In Roger Stern's story, Spider-Man is constantly trying to block and contain Juggernaut to buy as much time as he can before regrouping, and he eventually directs Jugs to a certain place. So you can work that out.

Yeah, that'd be fitting with Spidey, was kinda surprised it wasn't there at all in the game.
    It's rare to see in a superhero game. Batman Arkham Knight flirted with choice mechanics in the DLC "A Season of Infamy" where Batman has the choice to either give Ra's Al Ghul a cure or let him die a natural death, that changes the outcome of a single side-quest but otherwise doesn't affect the game.

That's still a fairly binary and simple choice and consequences don't linger. In Witcher III when you make a choice in a game, even a small and simple choice, it creates consequences that linger and last. And the choices in Witcher III aren't simply binary like that, it's often disguised to the point where you aren't sure whether you are making the right choice or not. Like there's this one quest where you have to help exorcise a lonely ghost in the tower, you talk to the ghost go through dialogue options and you can decide to help it or attack it. If you choose the former it turns out that she was some plague demon. On the other hand, you can also be a d--k to people and that eventually makes things harder for you and creates negative consequences later. It's not entirely black/white.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I would love to see a Gauntlet style story with Norman behind it.

I would love to see the map open up to the other boroughs and maybe a chapter that takes place somewhere other than NY, maybe SF or somewhere in Europe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

I would love to see the map open up to the other boroughs and maybe a chapter that takes place somewhere other than NY, maybe SF or somewhere in Europe
    Maybe they could do a bit of upstate New York and adapt Commuter Commuteth?

Shattered Dimensions' combo system.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Well it could be a Witcher III side mission quest where you have to decipher and find Chameleon based on context-cues, dialogue options to know about certain supporting characters, and also with a little help of the spider-sense. In Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which is also a narrative RPG you had a side quest where you had to choose an impostor between two identical twins...you had to sort it out based on your interactions with the characters and certain word choices they use. You could also do it like a series of side missions where you have to spot Chameleon as he moves through a crowd and pick him out among random NPC.

There are loads of ways to do it.
    If something like that were to be done, I hope whoever Chameleon disguises himself as changes at random, being always the same guy would mean you can just turn off your brain and punch that one character if you already know who he is.

Was also thinking that misdirection could be there, by him disguising other people as Chameleon which you should find out who's not Chameleon to not hurt them, but I dunno how he could make innocents attack Spidey, maybe it wouldn't work...

You kind of saw that in ITSV, where Peter B. has absolutely nothing to do with Gwen in any way.
    Yeah, but they're both from different universes who had to meet for this story, so their relationship is like when 616-Peter and 65-Gwen meet, and it'd be a new-ish thing to have a Gwen be that much younger than Peter when they're both from the same universe.

Still, if Gwen is there as Miles' love interest, and knows/finds out he's another Spider-Man, I hope she doesn't become his "Girl in the chair" like MJ occasionally does, if she were to help Miles, maybe something else could be done for her to stand out, and I don't mean Spider-Gwen lol.

I think there are a range of ways to do it. I am thinking of Shadow of the Colossus especially a giant guard-dog who rampages around a ruined temple near the end. He goes fast and breaks stuff around him an you had to get on top of the dog to find a weak spot to wear it down bit by bit. There's also Dark Souls and Bloodborne where some of the bosses you fight are really big and really fast. In Roger Stern's story, Spider-Man is constantly trying to block and contain Juggernaut to buy as much time as he can before regrouping, and he eventually directs Jugs to a certain place. So you can work that out.
    Yeah, but the hard part is making that interesting, Juggernaut has to do something so he's still threatening even if you can't kill him.

I think in some ways it could be like Rhino from that Ultimate Spider-Man game, with him running around and causing destruction, and you saving civilians, but it could have him actually attacking Spidey to make this harder, and maybe if you attack in certain ways he changes his route, maybe if you annoy him enough he chases you for a bit, so that could change his route, plus, unlike the Stern story, and the Ultimare Rhino chase, maybe you should actually have to stop him from reaching his destination.

Well, at least that's how I think he could be implemented in a way that keeps him above Spidey's weight class, while also making the battle be interesting and not automated.

It's rare to see in a superhero game. Batman Arkham Knight flirted with choice mechanics in the DLC "A Season of Infamy" where Batman has the choice to either give Ra's Al Ghul a cure or let him die a natural death, that changes the outcome of a single side-quest but otherwise doesn't affect the game.

That's still a fairly binary and simple choice and consequences don't linger. In Witcher III when you make a choice in a game, even a small and simple choice, it creates consequences that linger and last. And the choices in Witcher III aren't simply binary like that, it's often disguised to the point where you aren't sure whether you are making the right choice or not. Like there's this one quest where you have to help exorcise a lonely ghost in the tower, you talk to the ghost go through dialogue options and you can decide to help it or attack it. If you choose the former it turns out that she was some plague demon. On the other hand, you can also be a d--k to people and that eventually makes things harder for you and creates negative consequences later. It's not entirely black/white.
    Yeah that kind of mechanic is just perfect for Spidey's life.

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post

I think a Gauntlet should be avoided, since Otto already did that somewhat with the Sinister Six, plus, if Norman is the main villain, he usually doesn't work with other villains.

And yeah, other locations could be cool, I imagine it could be like GTA games where you go to a small location somewhere else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    If something like that were to be done, I hope whoever Chameleon disguises himself as changes at random, being always the same guy would mean you can just turn off your brain and punch that one character if you already know who he is.
    Yeah, randomization is a must. Some games have done that. There's Dishonored where one mission needs you to identify a masked lady and it's always randomized. The upcoming Watch Dogs Legion game has you play as any NPC in the game.You also have those Middle-Earth games where Orc NPCs have random personalities based on interactions and a large libraries of different dialogue strings with endless combinations, so you can use NPCs like legos almost.

Was also thinking that misdirection could be there, by him disguising other people as Chameleon which you should find out who's not Chameleon to not hurt them, but I dunno how he could make innocents attack Spidey, maybe it wouldn't work...
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man introduced the concept of Chameleon's formula being mass marketed and used by others and Boomerang uses that to his advantage there. So you can do it that way.

Yeah that kind of mechanic is just perfect for Spidey's life.
    Yeah and you can maybe choose the ending. Like one of the endings could have you and MJ getting married, another has him single, another has him maybe dating another NPC who knows. Witcher 3 had romance options after all. And then in the following games those choices could carry over. So that way you can use the game to get gamers to create and role-play their "canonical" take on Spider-Man in the way that comics can't.

I mean in any Narrative RPG you are playing multiple AUs at once right? Like in Witcher III if you were to do every dialogue choice every narrative choice in a comic you would have Witcher-MC2, Witcher-1610, Witcher-499 or something like that.

And yeah, other locations could be cool, I imagine it could be like GTA games where you go to a small location somewhere else.
    Spider-Man will always be New York so the option is to make each new game more detailed, bigger and more lived-in. You can also add new options like weather. Depending on the weather, swing speeds and traversal is affected. Winter and so on is also different, so when snow hits, Spider-Man's gameplay gets affected.