View Poll Results: Which of DC's Black Characters Has the Most Potential to Achieve Trinity Status?

Voters
163. You may not vote on this poll
  • Green Lantern (John Stewart)

49 30.06%
  • Vixen (Mari McCabe)

18 11.04%
  • Cyborg (Victor Stone)

13 7.98%
  • Black Lightning/Vulcan (Jefferson Pierce)

30 18.40%
  • Static (Virgil Hawkins)

7 4.29%
  • Naomi (Naomi McDuffie)

9 5.52%
  • Mr. Terrific (Michael Holt)

7 4.29%
  • Steel (John Henry Irons)

4 2.45%
  • Bumblebee (Karen Beecher)

0 0%
  • Icon (Augustus Freeman IV)

1 0.61%
  • Rocket (Raquel Ervin)

0 0%
  • Amazing-Man (Any Version)

1 0.61%
  • Aqualad (Kaldur'ahm/Jackson Hyde)

1 0.61%
  • Other (Specify Below)

3 1.84%
  • None

20 12.27%
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Man it always bugs me when they give GL white boots....

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Still more likely to happen than anything you've talked about. Besides Black Panther, John is comics' most popular black character. Like Wizard and the DCAU and several graphic novels demonstrate, GL doesn't need Hal Jordan. That's reality.
    Is this limited to black males? because i think Storm is far bigger. I think Blade, Spawn and Luke Cage could probably give him a run for his money too based on their own merits, and they are not sharing their names with 5-6 other characters.

The DCAU ended over a decade ago, in which he was part of an ensemble and the surface of the GL mythos was barely scratched. And a lot of the stuff they did use originated with Hal. In that case, plus the fact that all the biggest runs revolve around Hal or at least have him involved in a big capacity, is a pretty strong indicator that Hal may be needed. or at least the other GLs aren't strong enough on their own without cannibalizing his stuff. That's reality.

Who cares about what was pretty much a thought exercise in irrelevant Wizard magazine?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    So...

What would you read if it was on the shelves? I kinda feel like thats a relavant question because sometimes I feel like I hear more "That'll never works" than

"MAN! I'd BUY 2 OF THAT EVERY TIME IT HIT THE SHELVES!"

For me every-time they make a Mr.Terrific book I try it. I want it to work, but it never really catches me like I think it will.

So I guess I can say I'd read Mr.Terrific and thats one drop in the bucked towards importance.

I'll read John Stewart, regardless of costume, but, mostly cause I liked him in his out of comics renditions, and I think ... I think thats it.

I don't really consider the milestone people because its... so far away from where we are.

Oh I'd read firestorm.

So for me I'd read a John Stewart book, a Firestorm book, and a Mr.Terrific book.
    *Depending on the stories*

Thats what I'm checking for...

Hmmm... you ever see Cyborg From kingdom come? I'd give him a shot at that version.
    I'd buy african sergeant rock or losers war book.

I'd buy more of John Rivera's intergalactic giant space Prince and cave carson team up.

I'd give anything new on Black Label consideration no matter what is was.

I'd consider Mr Terrific as Reed Richards jumped the shark a bit for me during Hickmans run even tho i did like the run a lot. Some old school trippy bright and breezy scifi and monster action is always needed.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Since John has been turned into a blank slate-it's up to the writer to make that difference.

If it was me and I see DC doesn't want John around-I would grant them that wish.
    Have Earth put together an explorer colony together and have John lead it. The goal is settle on a new planet.
    Now you have Green Lantern Mosaic 2.0. If I want that planet to have a Justice League-I can.

I would avoid this in floppy form but an OGN would be fine. I just don't want to deal with the backlash (lead by those who never read).
    I would not want to see John in the SJW story of the month.
    Yes the original story i enjoyed as a kid because it made you think... i wonder what he did do with the ring. But thats kind of as far as you can take that concept in my mind but id still be interested if someone had a period story about what he did do in those "lost years".

Backlashes i love! If im reading a book and liking it whilst others are hating on it then good.. means the book is touching a nerve!

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

I don't think there is any black character at DC right now I would read no matter what
    Well, I won't read anything unless the stories and hook are good, regardless of who the star is
    I don't know how I have managed to have that post misread but...
    I didn't SAY: "No matter what or Regardless."

This was more of a "What are you actually checking for out here then?"

I further attempted to illustrate my point when I said: *Depending on the story*
    I would buy these books.

So... *Shrug* See my sig, I'm the LEAST likely person to buy a book "just because it check the right boxes".
    Hell no.

But since we're talking about black trinity level chars and there are some heroes that I like that happen to be black that I DO check for, not cause I'm on some faux-wokeness representation-ahoy bs, but because these characters really do have a thing to them that goes beyond just the skin color.

So what I'm saying when I say is "What will you read if it was on the shelves" I'm saying: "Everyone gets down to work shooting ideas and characters down, but what character(s) are you actually looking for... so when you SEE them on the shelves you think "Huh, a new X book, I gotta see what they're doing with this!

I'd consider Mr Terrific as Reed Richards jumped the shark a bit for me during Hickmans run even tho i did like the run a lot. Some old school trippy bright and breezy scifi and monster action is always needed.
    LOL, hilarious, I think the opposite, and am looking for Mr.Terrific to BE more like hickmans Reed than NOT.
    Thats why I stopped with "The Terrific" It was a little too breezy/sci-fi/monster-ish, it felt like Rick & Morty but not as interesting.
    So I guess either go one way or the other maybe commit to the bit and make it funny, but I'd have rather kept reading his new 52 offering than that.

Cyborg... I think for me the best cyborg was the Earth-22 version, but...
    IMHO I'd like to see him get control of his cybernetics and be a MAJOR PLAYER in the New Gods eternal war... etc

He's (last I checked) part motherbox, and that his arc shouldn't be "am I man or Machine" but more like "I have the fire of the Gods... what does a man DO with such a thing"
    Give him the gold look from earth 22 and that arc and I'd give him a chance.

Still, we have a LOT of pages here discussing "Who's ready for the trinity" and its like if a DC higher up were to read this.... its like "Damn... how the hell do even reach this audience"

So yeah. Books you'd be checking for (hell what story would they have to tell to entice you, if the allure of a character isn't enough): "GO"

Oh and lastly
    concerning a black character, I would actually like to see something new that is actually really good. And I know most DC fans hate new stuff, especially if nothing is being done with a character they like.
    I'd read something completely new. *shrug*

Hell Silencer was pretty cool wasn't it? Though at that moment I wasn't looking for a Batman/Tailia ~ ninja/assassin spin-off book.

That whole line of Silencer, Immortal Men, Damage, and Sideways, was chance to add new characters, but... I think people want sometime that will last and thats why they read these convoluted messes called western comics.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 11-20-2019 at 01:20 PM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Is this limited to black males? because i think Storm is far bigger. I think Blade, Spawn and Luke Cage could probably give him a run for his money too based on their own merits, and they are not sharing their names with 5-6 other characters.

The DCAU ended over a decade ago, in which he was part of an ensemble and the surface of the GL mythos was barely scratched. And a lot of the stuff they did use originated with Hal. In that case, plus the fact that all the biggest runs revolve around Hal or at least have him involved in a big capacity, is a pretty strong indicator that Hal may be needed. or at least the other GLs aren't strong enough on their own without cannibalizing his stuff. That's reality.

Who cares about what was pretty much a thought exercise in irrelevant Wizard magazine?
    I haven't seen more black actors campaign for a role than John, who still appears in Injustice and the DCAMU (next appearance is Superman: Rd Don), and people are still watching the DCAU. Kids are commenting on those videos online talking about how they're better than anything being done now. Some are just asking what the show is and looking it up.

Your other points have been discussed and addressed here, so I won't rehash old comments.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Yes the original story i enjoyed as a kid because it made you think... i wonder what he did do with the ring. But thats kind of as far as you can take that concept in my mind but id still be interested if someone had a period story about what he did do in those "lost years".

Backlashes i love! If im reading a book and liking it whilst others are hating on it then good.. means the book is touching a nerve!
    I can take backlash if it's coming from someone who TRIED or READ the book.

Not these guys who love to make up crap for youtube revenue or trying to get their crowdfunded books funded. Because they hate the existence of certain books.
    Books that are not packing bins.

concerning a black character, I would actually like to see something new that is actually really good. And I know most DC fans hate new stuff, especially if nothing is being done with a character they like.
    I think folks don't like the fact they are seeing their favorites be victims of agendas. And there is ALWAYS an EXCUSE support by those who don't like certain characters.
    The New Age Heroes for the most part lasted 2 years. 2-3 trades is acceptable in this market. Valiant and Ahoy Comics is proving that.

I am not asking for a 50 issue run of Vixen. It would be nice but I am being REAL. I have ZERO issues with a 6 part mini. I need DC to compete.
    Because what they don't do SOMEONE ELSE will & get movie and tv deals.

I haven't seen more black actors campaign for a role than John, who still appears in Injustice and the DCAMU (next appearance is Superman: Rd Don), and people are still watching the DCAU. Kids are commenting on those videos online talking about how they're better than anything being done now. Some are just asking what the show is and looking it up.

Your other points have been discussed and addressed here, so I won't rehash old comments.
    Yes but Hal appeared in Injustice and Red Son as well. And Injustice featured characters from the various "families" as well, including Supergirl, Batgirl, Nightwing, etc. So I think John is a major character in GL in the same capacity as other "Family Members", like Nightwing, but he's not the lead. The lead was also present in the game (and the respective leads of the other IPs, like Superman and Batman, were also present). So he never was the lead, and Hal doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Online videos are not a strong indicator of much (who says those are even kids commenting? lol), meanwhile there are new animated productions that have Hal and Jessica. And the DCAU didn't do much for the GL mythos as a whole, just John. Like Sinestro doesn't even share a single line of dialogue with him, and Star Sapphire doesn't have any dynamic with him besides shooting pink lasers at him. So I wouldn't say GL doesn't need Hal just because he wasn't in JLU.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes but Hal appeared in Injustice and Red Son as well. And Injustice featured characters from the various "families" as well, including Supergirl, Batgirl, Nightwing, etc. So I think John is a major character in GL in the same capacity as other "Family Members", like Nightwing, but he's not the lead. The lead was also present in the game (and the respective leads of the other IPs, like Superman and Batman, were also present). So he never was the lead, and Hal doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Online videos are not a strong indicator of much (who says those are even kids commenting? lol), meanwhile there are new animated productions that have Hal and Jessica. And the DCAU didn't do much for the GL mythos as a whole, just John. Like Sinestro doesn't even share a single line of dialogue with him, and Star Sapphire doesn't have any dynamic with him besides shooting pink lasers at him. So I wouldn't say GL doesn't need Hal just because he wasn't in JLU.
    Already explained why GL franchise doesn't need Hal earlier in this thread and demonstrated it too. Not going to re-write. You said John isn't popular or well known and that's what I was responding to. John Stewart is so popular and well known there's no GL film rumors or news that doesn't involve him and thats despite mismanagement in the comics. Can't say the same about other GL characters. Never seen so many actors campaign to play a comic book character.

The GL franchise might not need Hal, but the GLC as it exists will always come from him and his existence. Unless the whole GL concept gets rebooted the way it was after Alan Scott, this iteration of the GLC will always originate with Hal Jordan stories. John being an added element to that will always be true no matter how popular he is. I agree with others on this thread that when it comes to being on the level of the Trinity, you have to at least be the originator of your own franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    The GL franchise might not need Hal, but the GLC as it exists will always come from him and his existence. Unless the whole GL concept gets rebooted the way it was after Alan Scott, this iteration of the GLC will always originate with Hal Jordan stories. John being an added element to that will always be true no matter how popular he is. I agree with others on this thread that when it comes to being on the level of the Trinity, you have to at least be the originator of your own franchise.
    To be fair neither Hal nor Barry are the originators of their franchises. And if John does indeed show up in the GL TV show or star in a movie that would go a long way to making him the face of the GL franchise. However if Hal is his co-star then Hal will still be the face of GL.

Already explained why GL franchise doesn't need Hal earlier in this thread and demonstrated it too. Not going to re-write. You said John isn't popular or well known and that's what I was responding to. John Stewart is so popular and well known there's no GL film rumors or news that doesn't involve him and thats despite mismanagement in the comics. Can't say the same about other GL characters. Never seen so many actors campaign to play a comic book character.
    The arguments that the GL franchise doesn't need Hal and the examples posted (a cartoon not focused on the GL mythos and where John's storyline is primarily wrapped up with Shayera, and a blast from the past like Wizard magazine) were just not very convincing. Because the former isn't doing much for the GL franchise as a whole, and the latter is...Wizard magazine, who even cares what they say? And even if we did, they were just as excited about the Johns run with Hal as the rest of us, they were a fickle bunch. The cartoon gave him stuff from Hal's era to interact with. Meanwhile the most successful period in the GL comics was with Hal as the lead under Johns, and the entire foundation for the GL mythos as we know it came from the original stories with Hal. Plus while the GL cartoon was cancelled due to toy sales, it wasn't unpopular. So evidence suggests it needs him around more than not, at least more than any other individual Earth GL.

I didn't say John wasn't popular or not well known. But he isn't the only GL around, and he isn't the franchise lead. And it's not just Hal he has to compete with. Who says this can't be Jessica's time if we need an alternate? She's gotten pretty big for such a new character.

That's why I don't think John is the character from this list with the best chance. I mean, NO character regardless of their race is going to reach Trinity status at this point. But someone like Vixen or Black Lightning may be better. Because they would be stars of their own franchise and don't share their superhero name with not just one, but like 5 other characters. Same reason Marvel has some better black characters like BP, Storm, Blade, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    To be fair neither Hal nor Barry are the originators of their franchises. And if John does indeed show up in the GL TV show or star in a movie that would go a long way to making him the face of the GL franchise. However if Hal is his co-star then Hal will still be the face of GL.
    With Hal though, his mythos overhauled the GL concept to the point where it was it's own beast. He really doesn't owe as much to Alan as Barry does to Jay, and even Barry wasn't originally a legacy in the way we think of the term now with the Earth-1/2 divide.

The lines are kind of blurred, but everything we associate with GL NOW really comes from Hal and the stories built around them. Sinestro, the Anti-Matter universe, Oa, the Guardians, etc.

I don't think you need to be 100% true to the source material if DC is using a Green Lantern on mainstream media. John Stewart being in the DCAU seemed to appeal to many people, so it doesn't really mean anything, other than comic book fans, who are a smaller niche.

As far as being worrisome of who John is competing with, the same can be said for Hal Jordan and other Green Lanterns. If the 5G rumors appear to be true and this new GL or whoever he/she becomes a fan favorite. I don't expect Hal Jordan to come back and take that place back. It's messed up, I'll admit that. And even if that was not the case, it's a real shame that a character gets replaced, because Hal Jordan isn't a minority character. So even then, he's gone and comes back years later due to many reasons. It's never consistent at all. Some franchise Green Lantern is.

And I do think John would be the closet to reach to Trinity status more so than Vixen and Black Lightning.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I don't know how I have managed to have that post misread but...
    I didn't SAY: "No matter what or Regardless."
    Because you posted the question in a thread specifically about black characters and not about characters in general. And you followed up the question with this comment:

For me every-time they make a Mr.Terrific book I try it.
    Don't blame others who took the time to answer your question because your writing is not clear.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-20-2019 at 07:03 PM.

BANNED

I'm not sure you're convincing anyone with these arguments you're making. They have some extremely flimsy footing and often sound like the ravings of an irrational rabid fan. Especially with your doggedness toward not listening to, considering, or even respecting (the Darkstar thing again) any other viewpoints. It seems to me your intention in creating this thread was not for actually listening to others, but to promote your ideas about John Stewart and getting validation about him being DC's top black character, which is kind of like being the King of Bums.
    Last edited by Vampire Savior; 11-20-2019 at 07:22 PM.