Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Well, I'm a Flash fan.

So, you know; dead parents, racial stereotypes, jerk criminal from the future. Yeah, I feel that way.
    Same here.

As you say, characters always change. But so many seem stripped of their core. The point of loving a character is something about their personality being distinct to them. How they sound and act are what make the character. That might change somewhat depending on the context of the story; being more or less serious, for example. But, at a certain point, they stop being the same character and become someone else.

The New 52 is just rife with these complaints. Forget continuity and origin stories. Somehow DC ended up contradicting the core of so many characters.

Astonishing Member

I agree, I basically dropped DC when the new 52 struck. Specifically, Dr. Fate is mess as is the Spectre. Wonder Woman - same. I agree on Alan Scott - being powered by the green beans and green peppers of Mother Earth - flat out stupid.

Redoing classic origins as compared to tuning them just turns me off.

Incredible Member

I think wonder women's been unrecognizable since the Perez run. In fact, the finch's have brought her back (a very little.) To who she should be.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    I think wonder women's been unrecognizable since the Perez run. In fact, the finch's have brought her back (a very little.) To who she should be.....
    If the Finch's is how Diana was meant to be; praise Perez for redeeming what must have been a truly awful character.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    anyone here feels that the character that they used to follow before has undergone change so much that said character is barely recognizable. don't get me wrong, i have nothing against change, just as long as it means progression or improvement for the character. but change for change sake is off
    putting for me. most often the shock value of change leaves a bad aftertaste.

that being said, i feel green arrow is getting there. i still follow arrow at cw, but he and the oliver i read before seem like entirely different people. oh well, such is life...
    Oh yes. I absolutely feel that way about the Wonder Woman (generally MIA since vol. 2 #226). And it is starting to bleed over to Superman as well.

Incredible Member

They've marginalised her role as "God of war". (That made no sense.)
    Brought back donna troy
    Started using the classic rouge gallery. Not just gods all the time.

If we can get rid of the superman romance, and give her a proper relationship we'd be cooking....

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    8^o

Wow. Wonder Woman Pre-Crisis looks nothing like the Finch's or Azz's versions at all to me. I am sitting here now going through a large shipment of bronze age WW issues recently procured and noticing how much more competent the Wonder Woman was back then over most interpretations but certainly over the current book's presentation. What do you think is similar between Finch's and Pre-Crisis?

Incredible Member

I've been downloading bronze age WW on my kindle....

I don't think more like pre-crisis. I think the finches stuff is 'less different' then azz's version. Not hugely. Not hugely at all... But the traffic seems to be moving in the right direction.

Fantastic Member

This thread was created to describe John Constantine.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I keep my own canon and continuity. So many characters, histories, relationships and stories have been churned up and spat out for both DC and Marvel properties.

It's not worth the mental anguish trying to keep it all straight with whatever new and trendy thing the big two are doing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Nope, because I don't nitpick the details. Nor do I get too wrapped up in one character (or one version of a character).

This. People will never learn.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Yea, New 52 has made plenty of great characters unrecognizable. And not even interesting or good changes. Just bad all around. Green Arrow, Wally, Tim, Superboy, Wonder Woman, Alan Scott, etc. Just destroyed.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberpunk Ronin View Post
    This. People will never learn.
    I don't think anyone cares that we won't "learn".
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Exhibit A

This is Raven

Exhibit B

This is Raven's crazy twin, Pigeon.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Captain Atom. If I wanted to read Doctor Manhattan fanfic I would just go online and find Doctor Manhattan fanfic.
    i had a lot of high hopes for the nu52 captain atom. silly me thinking i'd be reading the captain atom i grew up with. still, i appreciate the effort to infuse "new" ideas for the character.