Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

Default Joe Hill's Plunge

Plunge is a great horror/science fiction comic book. I am really enjoying it and I was wondering if any one has bothered to translate the Russian dialog at the end of issue 4?

There are several things I enjoy about this book, the dialog is a strength, as it serves to illuminate things about the characters and also advance the story. The concepts are also a strength, there are several ideas here that are fun to think about. The visuals, Stuart Immonen is really doing a great job of clearly telling the story as well as providing an eerie sense of mood.

There are two issues left, and I am waiting for the payoff. If the creative team can stick the landing, I believe this would be a comics classic.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

My Russian is a little rusty, but it more or less goes like this:

"What have you got?"

"An automatic disaster signal from an American vessel in the Sinnikik Ungayagagat area, requesting immediate evacuation. They…"

"Americans?!"

"What the hell are they doing on Sinnikik island? Who called them to Russia?"

"I don't know, comrade. I'm sure they communicated via radio and explained the situation, but the power was off. Good news is that they're still far away."

"Good news is that within eight hours there'll be our subcycle. They want to visit Russia, enjoy our landscapes? We'll give those Yankee bastards the chance to see the whole continent... when the shockwave will launch then into orbit!"

Yep, interesting times ahead for the expedition and their new friends.

Not directly realted to Plunge, but I sincerely hope for announcements of new Joe Hill comics soon. It would be a pity if this were to vanish when it's not even one year old.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

I will pick it up in trade. Nos4a2 was awesome. Any information what comics Joe himself does enjoy or has read as kid?

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    I will pick it up in trade. Nos4a2 was awesome. Any information what comics Joe himself does enjoy or has read as kid?
    Joe Hill explicitly said in his introdiction to the Hill House Comics franchise (see Basketful of Heads #1) that he became a comic book fan at the age of 7 when his father (good ol' Stephen) brought home DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #6, 17 tales of the chilling and supernatural. I infer that he must have read A LOT of the considerable amount of horror comics DC published in the Seventies and Eighties.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    Joe Hill explicitly said in his introdiction to the Hill House Comics franchise (see Basketful of Heads #1) that he became a comic book fan at the age of 7 when his father (good ol' Stephen) brought home DC Special Blue Ribbon Digest #6, 17 tales of the chilling and supernatural. I infer that he must have read A LOT of the considerable amount of horror comics DC published in the Seventies and Eighties.
    Thanx. Appriciate it and will try to find some of the stuff.