Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    So for how long was Arrow actually good?

I never got into it, I watched the first few episodes and thought it was terrible. Everyone was telling me: "no, no, it gets better!"

And now it's terrible again?
    It was never thaaat good. They just did a good job into making us think it would be. But when it was supposed to be at it's best, it just got really worst.

Amazing Member

This just makes me glad I never jumped onto the Arrow hype train in the beginning.
    I saw Guggenheim's name attached and knew that it would suck like a hose.
    Movies, TV: Green Lantern, Legends of Tomorrow
    Comics: Flash and JSA
    That was enough of a resume to know that Marc would horribly fumble Arrow. Hah! Whoever gave Guggenheim the job must have never seen No Ordinary Family. Reddit would've never had to change a thing.

Amazing Member

I think what people don't get is that it used to be a really dedicated fanbase on that subreddit. It was a place to discuss the episode, trade theories, and to get excited about the show. They would toss in jokes about, worship the salmon ladder, and yeah there'd be criticisms but nothing beyond what you'd see about any TV show. But now the entire group is just tired of the show, just so weary that this Daredevil thing was hilariously launched.

As for the quality, the show was good up to Season 2. In Season 3, though, the cracks started to show. It's always been a CW Superhero show, so the plots were never airtight, but at this point you the plot holes were so big you could drive freight trains through them. They killed off a fan favorite character, revealed that a main character was the culprit due to mind control... and then they teamed up with the perpetrator of the mind control!! And then Green Arrow fell off a mountain, with a sword in his chest, and lived because someone gave him tea.

And it got worse from there, up to and including killing off Black Canary unceremoniously.

The show was never perfect, but it had a lot of good in the first two seasons, and the team itself has a lot of untapped potential. Basically, they've developed a whole stable of parterns for Green Arrow, but instead of giving anyone anything to do, they all run around like Power Rangers and beat up faceless soldiers, constantly. It really drags down the writing, the characters, and the choreography.

And Felicity doesn't help. I used to like the character when she was played for comedic relief, but they've amped up her role for drama and played up her 'computer hacking' abilities to the 'best in the world' level, but the drama they come up with for the character is hamfisted and the computer hacking makes NCIS look like a computer engineering documentary. They literally had a character pounding on a keyboard like a toddler, looking at a screen with an eye of sauron-esque computer graphic, hit backspace, and then someone's *regular computer* exploded like a Star Trek console.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    It was never thaaat good. They just did a good job into making us think it would be. But when it was supposed to be at it's best, it just got really worst.
    You did'nt like S2?
    Though i agree the series declined really right after it's best.
    The best arrow episode, the one where deathstroke invaded his home started the whole olicity thing

Quote Originally Posted by ColdFury View Post
    And Felicity doesn't help. I used to like the character when she was played for comedic relief, but they've amped up her role for drama and played up her 'computer hacking' abilities to the 'best in the world' level, but the drama they come up with for the character is hamfisted and the computer hacking makes NCIS look like a computer engineering documentary. They literally had a character pounding on a keyboard like a toddler, looking at a screen with an eye of sauron-esque computer graphic, hit backspace, and then someone's *regular computer* exploded like a Star Trek console.
    lol
    i liked her as a background character, she served the role of tech expert relative alright.
    end of the day, i take comfort in the fact that olicity all started as a bluff to deathstroke in the episode i mentioned above
    What we used to call life has very little worth these days. Welcome to the very edge.
    --Prince Namor (Earth-616)

Well, I really enjoyed the whole 4th series and the finale was satisfying, for me, as a fan.

If we're being honest, the 3rd series was the lowest Arrow's been, but I'm looking forward to a 5th series with a less mystical villain, henchmen/cannon-fodder who don't have their faces hidden, Katie Cassidy staying dead forever (even though I actually like her and hope that she pops up in something else soon), less bullsh*t computer/hacking stuff (Felicity making a quadcopter armed with a machine gun explode via a random tablet, in one of this series' early episodes, really set up how ridiculous her skills were going to get), Thea not returning for anything more than a cameo, Oliver's past finally no longer being a flashback sub-plot going on throughout the series... and I could go on. Hell, I could even create an entire series arc right now which would be completely kick-arse, but that would render me on the same level as those idiots who "fan-cast" and get people to endorse their silly matchmaking whims so that producers get blinded by online numbers and ditch gut-instinct.

And for the record, the 2nd series of Daredevil had an incredibly weak ending and having Frank Castle play sniper against ninjas was so out of place.
    Yes, Daredevil's a great programme and I won't deny that, but the longer it goes on, the more we'll see it turn into the kind of thing all these Arrow haters are whining about. Oh, and I HATED that monologue about how superb NY is. Yuck.

BANNED

Now I'm not an Arrow "hater" I don't post about Olicity one way or another and I've watched it since the beginning. But my loyalty was seriously tested by the season 4 finale which was poor in so many ways. I won't bore you with a list but suffice to say I'll be looking for Season 5 to step up from there because any lower would be too low for me.

Amazing Member

Havent watched Arrow since season 2, but now I have to DL the final episode just to see how bad it is.
    Thanks

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by plo12 View Post
    Havent watched Arrow since season 2, but now I have to DL the final episode just to see how bad it is.
    Thanks
    Just read this:
    http://imgur.com/a/srxdn

Funnier and faster.

Amazing Member

ok i just feel like i wasted my time this season, story was shite. and all thsi going on and no flash turn up etc

im offcially out now

Fantastic Member

The thought that nerds on one the forum of a popular genre website are calling nerds on a much more popular social media website's forum (no offense to CBR but I guarantee Redditt's views is leaps and bounds above it) irrelevant and what have you is hilarious...We can't possibly be that smug and self-important lol

Quote Originally Posted by Forseti View Post
    So for how long was Arrow actually good?

I never got into it, I watched the first few episodes and thought it was terrible. Everyone was telling me: "no, no, it gets better!"

And now it's terrible again?
    It's never been good. Season 1 is garbage. Season 2 brought the show up to "hey - this show has potential. If they improve as much in Season 3 as they did from S1 to S2 then it'll be a good show."

Season 3 was right back to being garbage, although still better than Season 1 which was utter garbage. And this last season can't even be called garbage because it's just plain incomprehensible. The first part of the season sets up a bunch of Legends of Tomorrow spinoff stuff, then the back half of the season makes absolutely no sense. All of the characters continue to act in random ways based on whatever "drama" the writers decide they need from minute to minute (seriously - most of them can't keep consistent characterization within a single conversation, let alone across multiple episodes) and stupid things happen that never have any repercussions.

This finale was actually better than about 2/3s of the rest of the season. It wasn't good but at least it felt like it was trying to have a beginning, middle and end unlike most episodes this season.

(Why do I still watch it? Because even with the fact that it's garbage it's still enjoyable to watch and pick apart. If you're the kind of person who can watch a terrible movie and enjoy it for how awful it is, you might be able to enjoy Arrow. But if you're looking for good TV you should probably skip it. I'd say Supergirl, Flash and even Legends of Tomorrow are all better written than Arrow is - Legends of Tomorrow is a hot mess but it's nearly Shakespeare compared to the mess they made out of Arrow from the very beginning.)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    I don't have to because I'm not the one complaining. What the heck is rival shippers by the way? Did you ever have direct contact with Guggenheim and get blown off or are you just blowing smoke? Like I said keep the snark factor high and these shows fall like dominos and we are left with multiple Trump reality shows.
    I have seen more screenshots of tweets and more articles with him dismissing criticism as being from people who want Oliver with Laurel than I can count. I don't have a twitter account because I spend too much time on the internet without one. And the idea that not lapping up anything these shows put out will kill them all is ridiculous.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 07-06-2016 at 07:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The only real bright spot of season 4 was Neil McDonough as Damien Darhk. Everything else was just not good. They need to stop with the end of the world plots and stick to smaller threats on Arrow.

It's really sad what happened to Arrow. Season 1 was good, season 2 was really good even though they gave Slade the dumbest motivation. Season 3 was really bad and I stopped watching after the worst season finale I have ever scene. The writing took a huge dip in quality because the showrunner and writers stopped thinking about how to write a good show, but how to make the IT girl the main focus.

I honestly can't comprehend how the showrunner and writers are so obsessed with the IT girl that they are so oblivious to how bad the show has come. From what I have heard from the finale of season 4, it seems the showrunner is pissed at the fan base for not being in love with the IT girl by shoving more of the IT girl down their throats.

The show is steadily losing viewership, the ratings have been on a decline since the beginning of season 3, and its own cast members have negative quotes regarding the direction of the show... How in the world do the showrunner and writers still have a job?
    Success is not counted by how high you have climbed but by how many people you brought with you. – Dr Wil Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Askia View Post
    It's really sad what happened to Arrow. Season 1 was good, season 2 was really good even though they gave Slade the dumbest motivation. Season 3 was really bad and I stopped watching after the worst season finale I have ever scene. The writing took a huge dip in quality because the showrunner and writers stopped thinking about how to write a good show, but how to make the IT girl the main focus.

I honestly can't comprehend how the showrunner and writers are so obsessed with the IT girl that they are so oblivious to how bad the show has come. From what I have heard from the finale of season 4, it seems the showrunner is pissed at the fan base for not being in love with the IT girl by shoving more of the IT girl down their throats.

The show is steadily losing viewership, the ratings have been on a decline since the beginning of season 3, and its own cast members have negative quotes regarding the direction of the show... How in the world do the showrunner and writers still have a job?
    What have they said? I always wonder this myself, if they are unaware from their perspective and genuinely think it's good, or if they're just collecting a check so w/evs.