Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Giant Size X-Men: Storm spoilers

Yey, this was a great issue! I was apreensive after the past GS issues were more focused on developing future plotlines than character work, but this was more or less the perfect mix of both.

Storm starts off the issue resigned to hoping for a miracle about her status, but Monet comes to the rescue. She and Doug have found two people who may have the solution to the problem: an AIM employee and Fantomex, and all they need is... money. There is a fun couple of pages where Fanto and Monet argue about the payment and Storm ends the conversation with a stunning display of her powers, stating that her life is the only important thing at stake.

So this is what at the heart of the story: Storm fighting and valuing her life above any other kind of solution ie. getting ressurected. The solution is more straightforward - they travel to a machine at the heart of The World which can separate the virus from Storm - but the character moments are what makes this issue great. We get various good moments with Storm fighting inside The World, leading the team and interacting with Monet; Doug and his cool new Warlock armor; funny Doug and Monet interactions (a pairing I didn't know I needed until now!) - she calls him the mutant version of Bambi; and more hinting towards future plotlines with Fantomex and Weapon XV. Both Fantomex and the AIM employee chose to stay inside The World.

(One curious thing is that the other characters don't seem very fazed about the presence of Warlock, which was a big surprise to Magik a few issues ago...?)

So the plot and the character voices are good, but this issue is even better thanks to Dauterman's art. He really brought his A game here. Storm, Monet and Doug have never looked better, and the locations from The World are appropriately out of this world (pun intended). There is also a page where Storm is stuck on the machine getting freed from the vírus that really reminded of how Bachalo illustrated the Mummudrai way back in Carey's X-Men, which brings us other questions... We see Doug speak to the virus at the end of the issue, and they say they'll see eachother again. Oh dear.

Mighty Member

I have two questions here.

What is Doug's role here ? I can't really see how he helped Storm where other Mutants couldn't. Maybe I missed something.

What is the meaning of mutant version of Bambi?

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

What is Doug's role here ? I can't really see how he helped Storm where other Mutants couldn't. Maybe I missed something.

Real answer: The artists could choose the characters they wanted to draw. Dauterman probably found it interesting to draw Warlock. Answer in the story: Cypher has experience with techno-organic viruses.

Being the mutant version of Bambi is weird because I think it refers to Bambi's mother (you know, because they usually shoot Cypher).

I posted something similar to this in the Storm thread but I really think the Giant Size issues should have each focused on a member of the team we see here and furthered this plot.

The Nightcrawler issue should have just been Giant Size X-Men: Cypher since he had the biggest role to play in that story anyway. The Magneto issue should have been Giant Size X-Men: Penance because then we could have gotten some insight into her analytical skills before she comes up with the solution for Storm's sickness.

Regardless of missed opportunities, I did really enjoy this issue and hope that it means more focus for Storm in the future.

Monet was the star here

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post

Doug was there for the suspense of him seeing an ominous computer mind gaining sentience and being chill about it.

We know from HoXPoX that sentient computer minds are the ultimate big bad of Hickman X-Men.

Doug being Bambi means he's a helpless fawn that no one should ever be bothered to attack because he's harmless. Or so the X-Men think. But we have seen him infecting Mutant Island with a bio-computer virus.

I loved this issue. Hickman showcasing Monet's brilliance was such a treat. Storm is the Goddess, period, and I LOVED her reasoning for wanting to find a solution to the problem. The art was so beautiful that I stared at some panels for a bit. Well done! (And Fanto is staying in the World, yay)
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Beautiful art. The story was okay, the series feels like mostly set up for other stories though and that is kind of unsatisfying. The dialogue was odd in places. A new sentient AI, but one created by the Children of the Vault and sort of "birthed" through a mutant. It will be interesting to see what comes of that. The symbol on the containment sphere reminds me of one of the ones from the PoX Phalanx data page.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Yey, this was a great issue! I was apreensive after the past GS issues were more focused on developing future plotlines than character work, but this was more or less the perfect mix of both.

Storm starts off the issue resigned to hoping for a miracle about her status, but Monet comes to the rescue. She and Doug have found two people who may have the solution to the problem: an AIM employee and Fantomex, and all they need is... money. There is a fun couple of pages where Fanto and Monet argue about the payment and Storm ends the conversation with a stunning display of her powers, stating that her life is the only important thing at stake.

So this is what at the heart of the story: Storm fighting and valuing her life above any other kind of solution ie. getting ressurected. The solution is more straightforward - they travel to a machine at the heart of The World which can separate the virus from Storm - but the character moments are what makes this issue great. We get various good moments with Storm fighting inside The World, leading the team and interacting with Monet; Doug and his cool new Warlock armor; funny Doug and Monet interactions (a pairing I didn't know I needed until now!) - she calls him the mutant version of Bambi; and more hinting towards future plotlines with Fantomex and Weapon XV. Both Fantomex and the AIM employee chose to stay inside The World.

(One curious thing is that the other characters don't seem very fazed about the presence of Warlock, which was a big surprise to Magik a few issues ago...?)

So the plot and the character voices are good, but this issue is even better thanks to Dauterman's art. He really brought his A game here. Storm, Monet and Doug have never looked better, and the locations from The World are appropriately out of this world (pun intended).
    There is also a page where Storm is stuck on the machine getting freed from the vírus that really reminded of how Bachalo illustrated the Mummudrai way back in Carey's X-Men, which brings us other questions... We see Doug speak to the virus at the end of the issue, and they say they'll see eachother again. Oh dear.
    I'm gonna speculate here and theorize that AIM at some point got a hold of some Phalanx (an offshoot of the Technarchy) Bio-Material (altered and weaponized) -- it would also explain why that particular AIM lab just happened to a machine capable of extracting the virus from Ororo's body -- while plausibly explaining why Douglock was able detected that it was sentient and able to communicate -- it's a techno-organic being too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Beautiful art. The story was okay, the series feels like mostly set up for other stories though and that is kind of unsatisfying. The dialogue was odd in places. A new sentient AI, but one created by the Children of the Vault and sort of "birthed" through a mutant. It will be interesting to see what comes of that. The symbol on the containment sphere reminds me of one of the ones from the PoX Phalanx data page.
    So storm had a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    It is in fact extremely similar to the key that Magneto receives from those strange underwater witches in his Giant Size.

Astonishing Member

So storm had a robot virus Baby who will be raised by fantomx...... wonder if when vault opens we get a few 100 generations of laura dawin synch robot kids

Quote Originally Posted by gambitxremy View Post
    So storm had a child?
    Lol that's what I was thinking. "so storm had a little techo deity. " Kind of reminds me of the fallen angel run where kwannon supposedly was the mother of that new techno god like creature.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Lol that's what I was thinking. "so storm had a little techo deity. " Kind of reminds me of the fallen angel run where kwannon supposedly was the mother of that new techno god like creature.
    Oh God fallen angle being important

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Monet was the star here
    She really was and I enjoyed Ned as well
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account