Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Doesnt he love that Skrull girl?

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    "We just want good stories" is one of the bigger lies homophobes and comics gaters try to hide behind.

I kinda feel at this point that ANY opposition to changing a characters sexuality to anything non-cis is met with cries of "homophobia".

Which, was kind of a near "Immediate" response from my original post. Which was kinda shitty. Because making it "clear" while completely seems to be "homophobic" too, but people are looking
    to ambiguity to prove their point.

I'm not a big fan of johnny storm, so I'm not specifically "even irked" about it..... about it but the whole question begin brought up made me wonder.
    Once there's 12 screenshots out of 10,000 appearances of a character that can be taken to look like the ambiguously gay duo or something (which is kind of inevitable with all the half-dressed spandex folks in a highly visual medium).
    Further... people like Daken... Starfox... Mandrill.... any telepath... purple man... people with generally "rapey" powersets that subvert a persons consent? They really shouldn't even be included.

How do the fans of THIS sort of change that leave it say, "No, really... damn, guess he's not".
    I don't think they do... and really all it takes is one rogue writer with their own view of a character to change something as fundamental as their sexual identity for all time.

and no... Me saying that Stan Lee Talked about this multiple times saying "I never made any gay characters" or that "Sony made those contracts" saying Peter Parker had to be a Heterosexual man. Is NOT in anyway homophobic.

I'm giving information about the situation that you and others may or may not have... Mostly to gauge if anyone ever changes their position on things but hey... its the internet.

Also... If someone says "I'm really not a fan of race-bending characters" the response isn't supposed to be "You're a white supremacist" or whatever other "stock bigotry" insult you can come up with.
    More like ... "well... why?".
    I'm not a fan of it, in most cases myself and I personally still fume about white-washed Robert Da Costa.

So... yeah... from interaction with you guys I got a better understanding now at least. Thanks.
    Nothing but peace on your journey.

Edit:
    In his own universe would it be regarded as a big deal?

My own guess is that it wouldn’t be.

I can’t think of a single Marvel hero who is clearly intolerant of race or sexual orientation.

I understand (I think) the reasons for this, but in some ways it’s unrealistic (many heroes have deep flaws), and it not as if Marvel universe is portrayed as sort of place where everyone is super tolerant (e.g. look at way mutants are regarded.)
    .....I don't even think there's a villian.

Wait no there's one There's one.... The "Grand Director"
    but even in that arch where he was with the watchdogs. He was brainwashed, and had like superhuman mind deterioration.
    There was only one d.c. character as I recall and that Was Alan Scott, and it only came to light when Obsidian (his son) announced he was homosexual. IIRC. (could be remmebering that wrong it was forever ago)

But If I could think of one who would be...
    I can't help think: Pietro Maximoff would be that guy. Maybe its cause his similarity with North-star or his rivalry with the torch. His relationship with his sister. His dad being a mutant supremacist (pre-retcon)
    He just seems like the guy who hates everything. YMMV.
    Last edited by Midnight_v; 09-20-2019 at 03:12 AM.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Some of you asking if this is a troll thread... It's not.

It says a lot that this thread gets this kind of energy while a thread saying "Sue will only be a good character if she cheats on Reed" does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    I kinda feel at this point that ANY opposition to changing a characters sexuality to anything non-cis is met with cries of "homophobia".

Which, was kind of a near "Immediate" response from my original post. Which was kinda shitty. Because making it "clear" while completely seems to be "homophobic" too, but people are looking
    to ambiguity to prove their point.

I'm not a big fan of johnny storm, so I'm not specifically "even irked" about it..... about it but the whole question begin brought up made me wonder.
    Once there's 12 screenshots out of 10,000 appearances of a character that can be taken to look like the ambiguously gay duo or something (which is kind of inevitable with all the half-dressed spandex folks in a highly visual medium).
    Further... people like Daken... Starfox... Mandrill.... any telepath... purple man... people with generally "rapey" powersets that subvert a persons consent? They really shouldn't even be included.

How do the fans of THIS sort of change that leave it say, "No, really... damn, guess he's not".
    I don't think they do... and really all it takes is one rogue writer with their own view of a character to change something as fundamental as their sexual identity for all time.

and no... Me saying that Stan Lee Talked about this multiple times saying "I never made any gay characters" or that "Sony made those contracts" saying Peter Parker had to be a Heterosexual man. Is NOT in anyway homophobic.

I'm giving information about the situation that you and others may or may not have... Mostly to gauge if anyone ever changes their position on things but hey... its the internet.

Also... If someone says "I'm really not a fan of race-bending characters" the response isn't supposed to be "You're a white supremacist" or whatever other "stock bigotry" insult you can come up with.
    More like ... "well... why?".
    I'm not a fan of it, in most cases myself and I personally still fume about white-washed Robert Da Costa.

So... yeah... from interaction with you guys I got a better understanding now at least. Thanks.
    Nothing but peace on your journey.
    Isn't that a two-way street though? Just look at Iceman and people who still say he is or should be straight.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-20-2019 at 04:59 AM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Desmark View Post
    Make Sue Bi and switch her affections from Namor to Namorita while we are at it.
    I have always wanted to see reed remark to Sue "That Namora is attractive."

And please note my serious comments are pretty much all been used on this topic and I'm going for the cheap gags.

Quote Originally Posted by MichelleDiMera View Post
    Doesnt he love that Skrull girl?
    no. she stalked him. but skrulls are naturally fluid in their sexuality. she would have made a great beard.

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    But did it do anything for Northstar as a character, aside from being known as the first gay character? He remains a D-list character.
    that's because he's Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    that's because he's Canadian.
    So is Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Do comics not do that? God, the homophobia and “NOT MUH HEROES” is boiling off this thread.
    GAWD, the HOMOPHOBIA is just BOILING! Give me a break. It took 3 replies from mine for the "it's homophobia if you don't love it" argument to rear it's head. These threads are dumpster fires.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

No (10 char)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I have always wanted to see reed remark to Sue "That Namora is attractive."

And please note my serious comments are pretty much all been used on this topic and I'm going for the cheap gags.
    Man that would make Byrne happy. Lol

BANNED

Make Sue Bi! Make Sue Bi!

GAWD, the HOMOPHOBIA is just BOILING! Give me a break. It took 3 replies from mine for the "it's homophobia if you don't love it" argument to rear it's head. These threads are dumpster fires.
    “it’s homophobia if you don’t love it” is an awfully strange way of interpreting what I was responding to. You assume that there’s this magical and unnecessary fixation on identity for apparently nooooo reason. Obviously the LGBTQ+ community, just like many marginalized communities, want representation and that isn’t mutually exclusive from wanting good stories as you separated for some reason. Also, you aren’t the only person in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    "We just want good stories" is one of the bigger lies homophobes and comics gaters try to hide behind.
    they forgot that wanting good stories and wanting good representation aren’t contradictory
    Last edited by Tycon; 09-20-2019 at 09:13 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    Thats kind of my point. . . if someone comes out and just says

"No. I'm not Bi. Like at all. Like Ever."

Then its phobic. *cue eyroll* but if its left to speculation you get people saying "B..b..but XyZ coment out of thousands of thought bubbles...."
    So its a null state.

Schrodinger's Sexuality.

This is legit how screwed up that situation is. Check it.

People don't remember top gun, but Top Gun is ... its a homoerotic masterpiece. Its the weirdest thing. While it was the biggest blockbuster of its time...

It is in many ways. *sigh* A gay love story.

Spiderman and his amazing friends came out in 83, (I watched it); Top Gun in 86' and yes people roasted it quite a bit...

MOSTLY because of that volleyball scene but a LOT of other things to be honest.

What happened is a game of telephone leading up to

1. In top gun... Tom Cruise, "Maverick" and Val Kilmer "Iceman" are totally gay for each other.
    2. Maverick and Iceman are totally gay for each other! "From top gun? Really?"
    3. Maverick and Iceman are totally gay. "What? Iceman is gay? Spider-mans Amazing friends?"
    4. Did you know Iceman was totally gay?
    5. Oh yeah I remember that cartoon? Iceman never did date that fire girl did he?!

6. Iceman is gay.

and everone kept hearing that soo...

In the 90's Emma took over Bobbys body... made that comment.... I laughed becayse he had the wrong Iceman.

In the 2000s' Seth McFarland Made that joke... and NO ONE gobbling up pop culture today even "REMEMBER'S" top gun.

It just stuck.

Its not that I'm "phobic" or a "tryhard" I was just alive and immersed in pop-culture the whole time
    Roadhouse is kinda like that too.

Hell the ONLY way Roadhouse makes sense is if the main bad guy is Patrick Swaze's, crazed, obsessive stalker.

So is Wolverine.
    Wolverine is krakoan and proud.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    That's some list... Any of them Inhumans?
    Yes. Ren Kimura, Glorianna, Telekian, Swain, and Romeo (Iceman's first boyfriend), if counting media, Joey, the one with fire powers from AOS, which are all new inhumans. All of the former royals have children, but their society could've allowed it even though one of their metaphors is why old traditions work to the detriment of people in a society sometimes.

On a side note, here's the otherside of Johnny's sexuality.