Page 6 of 53 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Honestly, considering the popularity of Spider-Gwen, I can't stop thinking about what if 616's Gwen Stacy would have ended up becoming "Spider-Gwen" instead of dying at the Washington Bridge because of the Green Goblin. It would be fun, you know? The moment Osborn throws Gwen by the bridge, she swings to save herself and kicks the Green Goblin's face or something. There goes the classic "damsel in distress".

Quote Originally Posted by eratas123 View Post
    More a question for a Spider-Gwen fanfic: so Gwen puts up the Hero for Hire ad, what would she be hired to do? I'm confused on what she could legally do outside of bodyguarding. She can't even work as a P.I since that requires a license as well.
    That didn't stop Kate Bishop.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    That didn't stop Kate Bishop.
    Kate Bishop seems to have absurd plot armor when it comes to this. There's really no way she can mouth off to an officer that she's unlicensed and not get in trouble.

Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Finally she's not getting cussed out for saving people! A little bit of character building I like is that she's so used to getting treated like ass that in both this and Ghost Spider 1 she apologizes to the people she saves and then gets surprised when they actually thank her. It's actually kinda sad if you think about it.

Wow, Gwen probably felt more like a Superhero in that one moment then she probably did in 70-80% of her last comic.

Finally she's not getting cussed out for saving people! A little bit of character building I like is that she's so used to getting treated like ass that in both this and Ghost Spider 1 she apologizes to the people she saves and then gets surprised when they actually thank her. It's actually kinda sad if you think about it.
    In five pages there alot to digest here.

First things is the comment that now she'll always be special. I don't think this is a comment about that she has powers but now she is a celebrity and how people see her has shifted but in doing so that comes with her own new set of problems. The general public probably expects her to always be a superhero now or see her with eyes different then a regular person. Granted she's swinging overhead as Spider-Woman/Ghost-Spider (we'll have to see how effective Gwen can market herself that the public in her world will take the code name she wants vs the established nickname Spider-Gwen) so that will cause people to take out cameras to take pictures like before. However when out of costume there is a chance Gwen might get bombard by people with cameras or eyes on her to a heavy degree. Thus Gwen Stacy for the public will always be seen and labeled as special and expect to be. Grocery shopping: seen as special, trying to apply for a job: seen as Special, going to class: seen as Special. Gwen's not seen as human by the public that doesn't know her as the woman but now just the Spider.
    This can make that interaction with the Mary Janes and Harry and others a necessary for Gwen's world and life. They knew the woman before the Spider. That now they know better to why Gwen might disappear on them when Gwen goes to band practice MJ treat Gwen as Gwen the drummer and Gwen her friend. MJ knows better yet see's Gwen with the same eyes as before and I feel Gwen would be happy for that. Sometimes her cast might have to talk about it but for the characters that 'had a feeling' (MJ and Aunt May) before the admitiance wasn't a big shock to the core thus the shift on how to see Gwen wasn't impact as big. Now her friends can help Gwen better as a person, drummer, family, friend, and hero and be more apart of her world and no lies needed.

That also that Gwen has a need to help so she still goes out on patrol to find people in need of help. Fire or active robbery. Gwen doesn't turn away from the fight but much prefers to be a hero and seen for doing other things. She doesn't look for the fight or want to start one but if somebody is in danger she won't turn away from them. Gwen still hoping to be seen in a broader light but the public prestion of her might be a bit stiff in a wider view to her.

Gwen's father probably wants her to have somewhat of a normal life and not be in danger despite know how his daughter has that drive to help which i'm sure he's proud of. Gwen father wants her to go to college and have a health normal late teen early adult life but the world has deemed her special and that won't shift. Gwen might decide that since she can't change the world's mind to how it sees her only as special she might as well play off of it for a professional paying job as a hero for hire seeing how this perception probably blocks her from gaining employment or feeling normal by others (having a converted record will do that automatically but the celebrity and superhero nature and life might further disway employees that don't know the woman before the spider).

This also explain why she might want to try the possibility of dating Harry. A person being apart of the dating world is a natural thing but now her celebrity and superhero status would block or tiant presections to her agian seeing the Spider before the woman. Harry however had a crush on her before the Spider, knew her and was friends before the Spider, and while it was a rough going after he learned her secret based on there interaction we saw in issue 1 of this volume Harry has come to terms accepting and adapting to the multiple sides of Gwen and now has transitioned seeing the woman and friend before the spider which Gwen would be happy with. Plus he's loaded and she loves to eat.

Others that seem to treat Gwen and see Gwen as 'Gwen Stacy' based on the last volume issue is the owner of the Dollar Dog and the Bodega Bandit (he seems to think highly of her and he still tries to rob the place she's at yet she doesn't do anything knowing how ineffective/the worst he is and they both greet her as she runs past them)

BANNED

That Gwen Stacy is a menace! - Earth 65 JJJ

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    That Gwen Stacy is a menace! - Earth 65 JJJ
    To be fair she's served her jail time and people have to know she didn't murder Peter Parker at this point. I don't doubt there are going to be issues, but so far Gwen hasn't done anything illegal - both crimes we saw her stop had people actively in danger and both cheered for her, so it'd be pretty fucking hard to say she's committing crimes when you have witnesses who'd dispute it.

Yeah, when Gwen handed herself in, she would've finally been able to set the record straight. In court, under oath. She was found guilty of other crimes related to vigilantism, but not murder.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Yeah, when Gwen handed herself in, she would've finally been able to set the record straight. In court, under oath. She was found guilty of other crimes related to vigilantism, but not murder.
    And technically, as Jennifer "She-Hulk" Walters expressed to Gwen while awaiting her sentencing, the jury's verdict wasn't so much about what Gwen factually did or didn't do, but more about whether the public wanted a superhuman who seemingly answered to no law(s) "running wild" on their streets.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    And technically, as Jennifer "She-Hulk" Walters expressed to Gwen while awaiting her sentencing, the jury's verdict wasn't so much about what Gwen factually did or didn't do, but more about whether the public wanted a superhuman who seemingly answered to no law(s) "running wild" on their streets.
    Yep, it was actually really great as much as it frustrated me - it really ties into the theme that powers are so rare in this universe that Gwen can't be understood, unlike 616 canon where you can't go two blocks without tripping over five heroes. Another reason I'm really looking forward to the Hero for Hire angle. In the Marvels miniseries the main character Philip Sheldon points out that Luke Cage gets a better rap simply because him being a paid commodity makes him seem more easily quantifiable and 'human' compared to the larger than life Superheroes who risk their lives for free and, in turn, make Normals feel pathetic and weak by comparison. If she's getting paid then she's not a Superhero, just someone else trying to get a job based on her genetics like a model or what have you.

BTW, a guy on another forum saw an interview with Latour and apparently he confirmed he wanted to do some spin-offs on Earth-65. Specifically he wanted to do one for the child FF, one for Hulk, and another about the amoral Tony Stark. None of them panned out, but I'm really damn curious how he planned these out. Especially the FF one - Johnny and Sue are child actors, Ben Grimm's an unpowered middle age cop and Reed...well, actually Reed could work, but not the other three.

Yep, it was actually really great as much as it frustrated me - it really ties into the theme that powers are so rare in this universe that Gwen can't be understood, unlike 616 canon where you can't go two blocks without tripping over five heroes. Another reason I'm really looking forward to the Hero for Hire angle. In the Marvels miniseries the main character Philip Sheldon points out that Luke Cage gets a better rap simply because him being a paid commodity makes him seem more easily quantifiable and 'human' compared to the larger than life Superheroes who risk their lives for free and, in turn, make Normals feel pathetic and weak by comparison. If she's getting paid then she's not a Superhero, just someone else trying to get a job based on her genetics like a model or what have you.

BTW, a guy on another forum saw an interview with Latour and apparently he confirmed he wanted to do some spin-offs on Earth-65. Specifically he wanted to do one for the child FF, one for Hulk, and another about the amoral Tony Stark. None of them panned out, but I'm really damn curious how he planned these out. Especially the FF one - Johnny and Sue are child actors, Ben Grimm's an unpowered middle age cop and Reed...well, actually Reed could work, but not the other three.
    It sounds like Latour was hoping for a new Ultimate universe after 1610 ended. He had ideas but we will never know how successfully they would of been and quality since it wasn't greenlighted. For the FF I can see 'by chance' those four meeting up somehow during its run (he said child thus only one child and thus most likely Earth-65 Reed but no confirmation of the grand plans and details). The others would of been interesting what changes and twists Lactour could of done (the 'Hulk' might not be Banner and how Earth-65 Hulk operates could be very different from 616 also) but agian 'what if'.

Gwen is amoung Earth-65 very few super powered people amoung the public Mutants do exist (I think) though unknown if they are public or numbers and Earth-65 Shield commented about tons of super dangers happening such as Thogs but the public is kept in the dark so there is a super human activity but not to the same range or knowledge like 616. So as TLR put it for SPider-Gwen "When your the only superhero all problems are your problems". Plus this also makes her a big known celebrity with no spread of supers and her not being a 1 out of 100 with the public with some awed by her and others nervous or fearful of her and no matter where she goes she probably going to be known and hounded.

For writers this can present interesting directions to show. There are other heroes with known identities in comics but this world Gwen is a known identity but little spread thus the public will focus on her for a longer while. But I feel at some point some of the public will get use to her 'New Yorkers' and her strangeness causing a 15 minutes fame and then move on while others in the public 'out of towners that heard but never saw her' will always be fascinated by her in some way. Much like how the Statue of Liberty and other NY landmarks and historical famous places are in New York and people that live outside of the New York area ar viewing them while New Yorkers walk by as it's everyday life the same will probably happen to Gwen in a smaller form for some New Yorkers.

Fantastic Member

The mutants do exist, actually. MJ refers to them:

Though I'm guessing that the number of mutants with actual cool powers are reduced to fit the setting. Hell, Wolverine was retooled into a samurai cursed by magic while Shadowcat is heavily implied to be a government experiment of some kind rather than a clone. Still, the flippant way Glory refers to them as 'that school upstate' leads me to believe either the X-Men don't exist or they don't constantly get into conflicts with giant robots on the streets. She-Hulk's comment about 'no one understanding Gwen' also wouldn't work if mutants had kickass superpowers.

As for Gwen's fame it'll depend. Just look at the PS4 Spidey game - Spidey's been active for about 8 years there but not only does he have twitter followers double the amount of NYC's population but he's still famous and mostly beloved. The statue of liberty analogy doesn't work cause the statue doesn't do anything but be a landmark. Gwen is constantly fighting crime and doing **** that would get people's attention. A better example would be celebrities - some people can keep the fame going for decades and remain beloved well into their twilight years because they keep doing new stuff. If Gwen keeps fighting baddies then public attention will constantly flicker towards her.