Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Themyscira in the movie felt bland. They could easily spy outside using Magic like Athena's eye like in comics. Why were there no creatures like Pegasus and other greek Roman creatures. If they are mythical they should look mythical and powerful instead of living in caves and ruines. Amazons should have powerful magical weapons instead of just bows and Arrows.
    Here I don't follow you. To me, the movie Amazons felt diverse and interesting compared to Marston's version, because they had a lot of different looks and body types and it was clear they had different personalities and views of the world (within the very limited screen time they had). They were most assuredly not living in caves and ruins. And I'd be more interested in them being shown as special based on their skills and personal capabilities rather than using magic tools or weapons.

Now, one could say that the lack of magical creatures was a flaw, but to me it's just background. The important thing is Amazon society, not their environment. And one can certainly make a case for technologically advanced Amazons, but to me it's still not a primary aspect of them. The Amazons of the movie felt like a version of the Amazon society that felt respectful to Marston's vision of them, just as Perez's and Simone's takes did. Azzarello's (or for that matter Morrison's in "Earth One") didn't.

Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Here I don't follow you. To me, the movie Amazons felt diverse and interesting compared to Marston's version, because they had a lot of different looks and body types and it was clear they had different personalities and views of the world (within the very limited screen time they had). They were most assuredly not living in caves and ruins. And I'd be more interested in them being shown as special based on their skills and personal capabilities rather than using magic tools or weapons.

Now, one could say that the lack of magical creatures was a flaw, but to me it's just background. The important thing is Amazon society, not their environment. And one can certainly make a case for technologically advanced Amazons, but to me it's still not a primary aspect of them. The Amazons of the movie felt like a version of the Amazon society that felt respectful to Marston's vision of them, just as Perez's and Simone's takes did. Azzarello's (or for that matter Morrison's in "Earth One") didn't.
    They were living in caves. The Director of WW said that Amazons live like Avatars and use cave as living space instead of Buildings. It is pretty obvious if you look at Diana's bedroom and the Amazon bathroom from the film.
    WW represents Mystic side of DCU and they can easily use Magic along with Skill like in Dr Strange, Thor and Black Panther.
    The Amazons should be toughest warriors in DCU who guards powerful magical technological object and even has a prison for Gods. They can't do their work with ordinary swords and weapons, not to mention WTF are they doing for Thousands of years.

Wonder Woman was suppose to be smarter than Athena and invent cool technology like Purple ray and Invisible Jet. Stronger than Hercules and Swifter than Mercury.
    Last edited by Geraldofrivia; 08-07-2018 at 01:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Go back to Marston's version of Amazon and Hippolyta, a society with advanced Magic and technology. It is sad when Wakanda and Atlantis have all this while Themyscira is still living stone age. ( I am talking about the movie of course)
    Hippolyta having an affair with Zeus have to be noncanon. Diana's clay origin celebrating motherhood have to brought back instead of generic Zeus bastard child.
    I totally agree with this.

I would have liked to see the Democratic Paradise Island in one of the arcs. I like the idea that they have made both swords and guns that can kill gods. Even if the gods did bless them or Diana they know there are also many evil gods. What if that’s what the doom gate should be the prison of the gods. What would a prison for a god look like? I would agree with the bracelets stopping them with using their powers

I wonder Ares and Aphrodite has a long history with the amazons. In Marston’s they were husband and wife. So why not have them being their parents. It gives a reason why the amazons want to lock Ares up. Honestly I would just like the idea that That many of the goddesses saved many of the female babies that were left to died before
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 08-06-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    At this point, it feels a bit like "New52" Lobo.

While I'd imagine there are a few folk focusing on if that needs to be "Fixed", it's probably "Fixed" enough for your average reader.
    It kind of feels like beating a dead horse at this point. Azz's run has been retgoned out. Rucka's run has been the basis that his successors, including Robinson, have used for their stories. Frankly they might as well make Azz's run a Black Label book.

Fantastic Member

I totally dislike the current state of the Amazons in the DC Universe, especially the movie. Outdated, ineffective against modern invasion. As I've said the EASIEST way to update all the amazons and keep them somewhat traditional is for them to be as powerful as WW, without the special god given weapons, just Amazonium, and all of them can only maintain this power while they reside in PI; a few weeks outside PI at best. Since the Olympians are just sitting around doing nothing, then just transfer all their energies to the amazon to give the population a diverse power set.

Why does Dc content with leaving the Amazons in the Past? I mean should they make sure if they are guarding something that's powerful and mythical that their tech is updated? That should be the reason they are an advanced society that they want to make sure that any evil mythical beings, creatures or Gods that are suppose to be locked away. That they are able to make weapons that can kill gods. That even if they use a sword it should be used a few other ways

Well Orlando seems to have brought back advanced technology for the Amazons and they did fix Steve's plane in Rucka's second run.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well Orlando seems to have brought back advanced technology for the Amazons and they did fix Steve's plane in Rucka's second run.
    Right? The plane is just a preview of how advanced their knowledge and use of natural resouces is. They also had the purple ray (used to cure Steve) and we didn't see the full potential of their weaponry.

Double post. But I'll use it to say this: the current version of the amazons (Rebirth) doesn't need fixing. It can just use some developmet in their worldbuilding.
    Last edited by Joao; 08-09-2018 at 07:45 PM.

Rather than fixing, world building would do wonders for the Amazons. Honestly there wouldn't be so many inconsistant variations if more focus was put into how they actually are as a culture.

True I mean if Hippolyta could somehow communicate with someone about Jason why not have them communicate more and more with the outside world. I mean why not have a line with the Banas and Paradise Islanders. I mean why not have the two god myths Egyptian and Greek gods allowed the two tribes to visit and see each other

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

World building and fleshing out is really the current answer. I mean, we've been shown there are (at one point in the New 52) Amazons all over the world (by way of Demon Knights and Odyssey of the Amazons)...so is that still somewhat canon or are we back to the only Amazon having left the island is Diana? Then there's the Bana...what's their history? I am hoping that part of Orlando's story will reset the Amazons of Themyscira back into the "real" world and that Wilson will follow up with that as well. Diana doesn't need to be in the same line as Superman and Batman...having no family to visit. It's one of the things that always set her in nice contrast to both of her contemporaries, having a full family behind her, not just the ones she found after the fact.

They LAUGHED at my theory SteveGus's Avatar

They don't need 'fixing', but they want a bit of complexity. They should not be an absolute monarchy; the ancient societies on which they were modeled were more politically interesting than that. There should be factions, a council of some sort, internal politics there. Perez showed us glimpses of that; it should be fleshed out.

Amazons should be like Kryptonians and Daxamites, a race of super-humans. Wonder Woman should be first among equals, not towering over the rest of them by special divine favor. Still, the notion that any woman can become an Amazon by training and application also should be there.
    "At what point do we say, 'You're mucking with our myths'?" - Harlan Ellison

I think a monarch mixed with a democratic society would work. Well how would Diana fight Circe or cheetah they are god like? I would say simple the amazon gave Diana powers( items) that they made to help her. I mean she anyone can become a Amazons but anyone who becomes Diana should be blessed with powerful that the amazons have but it’s just never been opened up.