Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sectal View Post
    Here is a hypothetical.

If marvel had to focus on one scarlet spider and kill the other one, would they kill Ben or Kaine?
    If I really had to choose... Ben survives, Kaine dies. I'm a huge fan of Ben and after so many years he is finally back (well, he was destroyed by Dan Slott but Spider-Geddon fixed him).

In a perfect scenario, they both get to live. Nobody has to die. If Marvel doesn't know what to do with them, then... just leave them in limbo 'till the right person to use them arrives.

If there is several Spider-Men (Peter, Miles, Otto, Miguel), then why can't there be two Scarlet Spiders?
    Last edited by Reilly; 07-01-2019 at 02:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    If I really had to choose... Ben survives, Kaine dies. I'm a huge fan of Ben and after so many years he is finally back (well, he was destroyed by Dan Slott but Spider-Geddon fixed him).

In a perfect scenario, they both get to live. Nobody has to die. If Marvel doesn't know what to do with them, then... just leave them in limbo 'till the right person to use them arrives.

If there is several Spider-Men (Peter, Miles, Otto, Miguel), then why can't there be two Scarlet Spiders?
    I agree. I wish Marvel had let there be two Spider-Men in the 90s instead of killing Ben off, actually. But it was a different time when they didn’t want multiple versions of a hero. Now, you have so many Spideys, it’s crazy. Miles, Superior, 2099, and you can make the argument for both Scarlets, Ghost-Spider, Silk, Annie, Mayday, etc...

I’m not a fan of all of them, but the only character from the Spidey family I’ve ever wished death on is Alpha. That character was so bad, my god....

Spectacular Member

Problem is that the scarlet spiders don’t have the fan base necessary to support two of them unlike Spider-Man. Not a lot of people are going to give them a chance if they think they need to read the clone saga to learn about them.
    The only reason I care about them is because the 2012 series was so great.

Problem is that the scarlet spiders don’t have the fan base necessary to support two of them unlike Spider-Man. Not a lot of people are going to give them a chance if they think they need to read the clone saga to learn about them.
    I could be wrong, but I would guess many readers, if they're a fan of one, have at least an interest in the other. The two characters are tied together pretty strongly.

-Pav, who awaits the voices of dissent...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

I would argue that they simply haven't been given a compelling enough story to sustain strong sales (because that's what really matters at the Marvel editor's desk). Ben's last series could have been so great but they dwelt on the "I'm a tortured soul and need mystical intervention" and Clone Conspiracy fallout/drama, which ultimately mutated into a bizarro version of Peter's life with the exception of a redheaded girlfriend, and of course Mephisto...again...sigh.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think Ben Reilly readers and fans would probably appreciate a traveling series with Ben (and maybe Kaine) with some past faces making appearances (Elizabeth Tyne, Carolyn Trainor, Stunner, basically connections from the Clone Saga besides Jackal, Kaine & Gwen).
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    I would argue that they simply haven't been given a compelling enough story to sustain strong sales (because that's what really matters at the Marvel editor's desk). Ben's last series could have been so great but they dwelt on the "I'm a tortured soul and need mystical intervention" and Clone Conspiracy fallout/drama, which ultimately mutated into a bizarro version of Peter's life with the exception of a redheaded girlfriend, and of course Mephisto...again...sigh.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I really think Ben Reilly readers and fans would probably appreciate a traveling series with Ben (and maybe Kaine) with some past faces making appearances (Elizabeth Tyne, Carolyn Trainor, Stunner, basically connections from the Clone Saga besides Jackal, Kaine & Gwen).
    Considering Carolyn has recently reappeared in Nick Spencer's ASM, there's plenty of opportunity to rebuild her as an antagonist or villain for Ben. Hell, for an antagonist that would force Kaine and Ben to work together, just bring back the Great Game, which was basically a superpowered fight club where bored rich people could bet on the fighters. Could even have Janice Olivia Yanizeski (Joystick) reappear, having returned to the Great Game out of her usual need for thrills, and to get back to Kaine, I still wanna see what Aracely/Hummingbird's deal really is and what part Kaine plays in that. If Ben had to be included in that, he could be forced to become the champion of Mictlan (the Aztec underworld) as punishment for tampering with life and death and thus pitted against Kaine as Aracely's champion, given that Aracely is (supposed to be) the mortal incarnation of the Aztec sun god Huitzilopochtli.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spectacular Member

Does anybody know when Kaine is set to appear next?

Does anybody know when Kaine is set to appear next?

Spectacular Member

Kaine doesn’t appear there at all

Astonishing Member

Kaine doesn’t appear there at all
    I think that Slott bringing back Ben was a mistake. The focus should be on Kaine Parker as there is so many opportunities for the character. For example, Kaine would be a good fit as a member of X-Force.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    I think that Slott bringing back Ben was a mistake. The focus should be on Kaine Parker as there is so many opportunities for the character. For example, Kaine would be a good fit as a member of X-Force.
    That’s an understatement, they made spider-force with him leading it. Kaine could make a great x-man character since he has been hated and looked down upon his whole life plus his banter with wolverine is great already.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    That’s an understatement, they made spider-force with him leading it. Kaine could make a great x-man character since he has been hated and looked down upon his whole life plus his banter with wolverine is great already.
    It was a mistake primarily because Slott made Ben a deranged villain. If it wasn't for that stain on the character's name, one that was ultimately compounded by the following series, he would've been great alongside Kaine. As for Kaine making a great X-Men character, I could see him fitting right in, more or less, and for many of the same reasons as Spider-Man himself --- experience with being hated and feared, targeted by mad scientists trying to weaponize his DNA . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    It was a mistake primarily because Slott made Ben a deranged villain. If it wasn't for that stain on the character's name, one that was ultimately compounded by the following series, he would've been great alongside Kaine. As for Kaine making a great X-Men character, I could see him fitting right in, more or less, and for many of the same reasons as Spider-Man himself --- experience with being hated and feared, targeted by mad scientists trying to weaponize his DNA . . .
    What is so disenchanting is the fact that no Avengers writer wants to add Spider-Man to their current lineup. Especially on The Avengers that has Carol Danvers and Jennifer Walters. Spidey would fit right in. I would love to see the dynamic between Peter and Jennifer Walters.

Spectacular Member

It’s because spiderman works better in avenger team in small doses. He is the smart, funny guy that overshadows a lot of the other heroes in Marvel. Also, in the current version of avengers, he would be underclassed by every one except blade( temporary avenger) and captain America (founding avenger/most respected avenger in comic universe). Plus Spiderman isn’t suited for galaxy stories as much as street level stories.

Astonishing Member

It’s because spiderman works better in avenger team in small doses. He is the smart, funny guy that overshadows a lot of the other heroes in Marvel. Also, in the current version of avengers, he would be underclassed by every one except blade( temporary avenger) and captain America (founding avenger/most respected avenger in comic universe). Plus Spiderman isn’t suited for galaxy stories as much as street level stories.
    Perhaps not as Spidey. On the other hand, Peter Parker is suited for galaxy stories (in a non-costumed role) as a supporting character. What Marvel should do with their galaxy stories is combine science fiction with science facts, as the later is far more interesting. What would be a good plot twist is for Cosmic Spider-Man to join the team in a story arc as his powers are not under classed by the other members. I am surprised that no one has added the recent scientific space discoveries into their stories, like the Super Earths and OJ 287, the largest black hole in the universe.