Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Current Marvel Titles

Which current ongoing titles can be read with the least amount of backstory necessary? I know that all titles are supposed to be able to be read by a new reader without needing much backstory, but some require more research than others to get the full feel for it.

So which titles are the most "brand new" whether it be a new character or one that just requires less googling of their history?

The character doesn't have to be brand-new but maybe they only popped up recently in the past couple years or so..
    On a quest to read all X-Men related comics in chronological order
    Titles I'm currently reading:
    Uncanny X-Men - X-Men v2 - X-Force - Wolverine - Deadpool - X-Treme X-Men

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Seedzington View Post
    Which current ongoing titles can be read with the least amount of backstory necessary? I know that all titles are supposed to be able to be read by a new reader without needing much backstory, but some require more research than others to get the full feel for it.

So which titles are the most "brand new" whether it be a new character or one that just requires less googling of their history?

The character doesn't have to be brand-new but maybe they only popped up recently in the past couple years or so..
    Spider-Gwen has just about as little history as a character can have. Her universe is new and is featured in no other books.

Aside from that, maybe Unbeatable Squirrel Girl? I don't recommend the book as I don't like the art, but it doesn't require much knowledge about the Marvel universe.

The current Ms. Marvel is very easy to jump on. A little bit of knowledge on Inhumans helps explain some things in the book, but is ultimately not needed.
    She is Kamala Khan... The Magnificent Ms. Marvel!

Really? I was thinking about that one but I thought it would be necessary to have a good background on Spiderman related characters.

How about Ms Marvel? Heard great things about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Myetche View Post
    The current Ms. Marvel is very easy to jump on. A little bit of knowledge on Inhumans helps explain some things in the book, but is ultimately not needed.
    Posted my last post before I saw this one haha. Thanks!

Inhumans are one of the titles I'd actually love to read up on because I'm intrigued by that but I feel like figuring out what to read on their history is difficult.

Another one I was thinking about was Ant-Man for something that is kind of self contained?

BANNED

Ms. Marvel for sure!

Squirrel Girl and Silk, too.

I find it hard to keep track of Marvel now, myself. They have changed so often with titles, and they don;t even publish my favourite (Fantastic Four) anymore...

Mighty Member

Kingpin is a really great book. All you need to know is who the kingpin is.

I was going to suggest Ms Marvel but a few people already did sooo how about Amazing Spider-Man: Renew your Vows?
    All you have to know is who Spider-Man is and that this is an AU where him and MJ have a kid.
    You don't even need to read the mini-series that came before it since they sort-a fill you in on what happened.
    . My Little Pony . ASM: Renew your Vows . Ms Marvel . Generation X . Doom Patrol . Super Man . The Flash . Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps . Trinity . Teen Titans . Super Sons . Mister Miracle . Saga . Paper Girls .

Really? I was thinking about that one but I thought it would be necessary to have a good background on Spiderman related characters.

How about Ms Marvel? Heard great things about that.
    I agree. This book is full of references to continuity that in order to get the gist you at least need to be aware of. However they are not obscure, so a casual understanding of quite high profile characters is all you really need.

I think the premise of the thread is a little flawed. Every book will inevitably play to the fact it is in a wider universe and contain crossover material. You will encounter the problem equally if you pick up Amazing Spider-Man or Ms. Marvel. Some books are designed as introductions to the wider universe like the recent Agents of SHIELD book but no book will remain self contained for long and the characters they choose to bring in will usually relate to the huge back catalogue of the series.

Take the Hydra-Cap book, it remained pretty much self contained until it impacted CWII and then after that went full on Cap rouges gallery with deep cuts. Google or asking questions here is your friend.

Inhumans are one of the titles I'd actually love to read up on because I'm intrigued by that but I feel like figuring out what to read on their history is difficult.

Another one I was thinking about was Ant-Man for something that is kind of self contained?
    With Inhumans I jumped on with Inhuman by Soule for the first time and wasn't confused at all. He explained everything I needed to know despite me having literally no prior knowledge. Not sure how the new stuff will be for a jumping on point.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

If you're interested in inhumans & don't want to read too much backstory Mosaic is pretty accessible too.

I agree that Soule's Inhuman is a good starting point for inhumans in general though.

Deleted (10 characters).
    Last edited by Coin Biter; 03-31-2017 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Thought I was making a bad point.

Extraordinary Member

Ms Marvel
    Spencers - Captain America - You can easily google for the full backstory or ask here
    Patsy Walker