Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4

Authentic Comic Junkie BTNLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Lots of terrible games get undo praise these days, Fallout 3 is just one of them.

SimTower is kind of a game of Fallout Shelter's kind, and it's oh so much better. That game you could mess around with for years, I'm not sure I made it a whole week with Shelters. The two PC Dungeon Keeper games I guess could be said to be the same type of thing, and those are also both far better games.

I can't imagine staying with that game after restarting three times, the wait on everything can be terrible in that game. How long have you been playing it if you've only got 51 dwellers?

Fallout Shelters is disappointing in that it actually could be something really interesting, even as it is it could have been given more color with things like the updates of what your dwellers are doing out in the wasteland, (one of the great things about the first two Fallouts is the description of stuff in your hub) but it's less like a game and more like a hype machine for Fallout 4 that people can dump money into. It's kind of aggravating, because a post-apocalyptic building/management game about exploring the wasteland and keeping your people live could be great.
    I restarted and got to where I am in the Fallout Shelter game only because someone gave me a hint on how to manage resources early on. The wait is actually not bad now since I've upgraded the rooms and levelled up the dwellers' traits for respectively assigned rooms. I've been playing it on and off for about three weeks now and I only have 51 dwellers because I'm trying to manage the resources for the next floor while keeping everybody above 90% in terms of happiness. I didn't pay a single cent on this game and still got three special characters from the lunchboxes. I can see how Fallout Shelter can be seen as the appetizer for Fallout 4 and in many ways it is. The Dungeon Keeper games shouldn't even be compared to this since they're classics. This game isn't anything as complete, but if it wasn't for this game, I wouldn't have tried out the Fallout games at all so I kind of have a special attachment to it. I do hope they make an update on the wasteland exploring. It's also the only portable Fallout fix at the moment (unless I decide to put Fallout 1 & 2 on my device and run them through a dos emulator).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BTNLegend View Post
    I restarted and got to where I am in the Fallout Shelter game only because someone gave me a hint on how to manage resources early on. The wait is actually not bad now since I've upgraded the rooms and levelled up the dwellers' traits for respectively assigned rooms. I've been playing it on and off for about three weeks now and I only have 51 dwellers because I'm trying to manage the resources for the next floor while keeping everybody above 90% in terms of happiness. I didn't pay a single cent on this game and still got three special characters from the lunchboxes. I can see how Fallout Shelter can be seen as the appetizer for Fallout 4 and in many ways it is. The Dungeon Keeper games shouldn't even be compared to this since they're classics. This game isn't anything as complete, but if it wasn't for this game, I wouldn't have tried out the Fallout games at all so I kind of have a special attachment to it. I do hope they make an update on the wasteland exploring. It's also the only portable Fallout fix at the moment (unless I decide to put Fallout 1 & 2 on my device and run them through a dos emulator).
    The wait fluctuates depending on the types of goals it hands out to get stuff like lunchboxes and bottle caps. It can go by very quickly, I played once for a few hours, got a bunch of really easy challenges and ended up with tons of bottle caps. Probably had about as many dwellers as you have, but I quit that one because there was what I'm guessing was a bug that made cockroaches almost unkillable, and they wiped like half of the vault. The second vault didn't go anywhere near as quickly because a good deal of the challenges felt like later game stuff. If you've only got 51 dwellers after three weeks, than maybe it's taking longer than you think. I had maybe 97 when I quite, and I saw a few notifications pop up that babies were being born. Although I didn't really have enough caps to buy much of the later rooms, and those rooms get huge price spikes.

Hey, you were the one that said Fallout Shelter was as entertaining as a game like it gets. Dungeon Keeper pretty much is a game of that kind, and it's way more entertaining.

The wait fluctuates depending on the types of goals it hands out to get stuff like lunchboxes and bottle caps. It can go by very quickly, I played once for a few hours, got a bunch of really easy challenges and ended up with tons of bottle caps. Probably had about as many dwellers as you have, but I quit that one because there was what I'm guessing was a bug that made cockroaches almost unkillable, and they wiped like half of the vault. The second vault didn't go anywhere near as quickly because a good deal of the challenges felt like later game stuff. If you've only got 51 dwellers after three weeks, than maybe it's taking longer than you think. I had maybe 97 when I quite, and I saw a few notifications pop up that babies were being born. Although I didn't really have enough caps to buy much of the later rooms, and those rooms get huge price spikes.

Hey, you were the one that said Fallout Shelter was as entertaining as a game like it gets. Dungeon Keeper pretty much is a game of that kind, and it's way more entertaining.
    Okay? You don't like the game. I like the game. Anything else?

Yeah, on mobile if you want to be specific. Why compare a classic PC game series to a mobile game when it's not even available on mobile? Of course I know Dungeon Keeper is a better game. Why even compare to a non-Fallout game or one that has no relevance to the wasteland theme in general? Can you name a mobile game like Fallout Shelter where you take care of a wasteland vault and maintain resources?
    Last edited by BTNLegend; 08-14-2015 at 04:09 PM.

BANNED

Okay? You don't like the game. I like the game. Anything else?

Yeah, on mobile if you want to be specific. Why compare a classic PC game series to a mobile game when it's not even available on mobile? Of course I know Dungeon Keeper is a better game. Why even compare to a non-Fallout game or one that has no relevance to the wasteland theme in general? Can you name a mobile game like Fallout Shelter where you take care of a wasteland vault and maintain resources?

Because they're both relatively the same kind if building and management games. Fallout isn't a genre, it's a skin slapped onto a game type. Shelter, the original games, and the new games are also three completely different types of games, so I'm not sure what the deal is with saying stuff like "Why even compare to a non-Fallout game".

Because they're both relatively the same kind if building and management games. Fallout isn't a genre, it's a skin slapped onto a game type. Shelter, the original games, and the new games are also three completely different types of games, so I'm not sure what the deal is with saying stuff like "Why even compare to a non-Fallout game".
    Because this is a Fallout thread. It's like coming into a Mortal Kombat thread and talking about how Street Fighter is better. Where are you going with this?

BANNED

Because this is a Fallout thread. It's like coming into a Mortal Kombat thread and talking about how Street Fighter is better. Where are you going with this?
    It's more like bring up Street Fighter in a Mortal Kombat thread after someone says Mortal Kombat is as good as fighting games get, well no...it's not. You said Fallout Shelter was as good as that type of game gets while talking about it. I said, well, no, it's not; and than I brought up some that do similar things that are far better. Games are games, you can compare similar types of games even if they don't carry the same moniker, or take place in a similar setting. You can compare Warcraft and Red Alert, they're different series and take place in different settings, but they're still the same type of game.

BANNED

Bethesda knows Fallout 3 gameplay sucked, looks to Destiny.

Wait, what?

Bethesda doesn't even know the right people to copy off of. I know I said maybe it would make for a nice FPS before, but if they're going for Destiny, (which I'm sure will mean subpar Destiny [and that game ain't good]) I take it back.

Incredible Member

If you guys are waiting for Fallout 4, avoid any forums or communities that might even remotely be talking about it like the plague. There's a lot of spoilers due to the leaks, I myself saw some of it.

I actually had a bit of hope for Fallout 4 because I thought Bethesda would learn with Fallout New Vegas. Turns out I was wrong. The combat, crafting, AI and graphics are better, but the engine is still bad, the interface is still bad, dialogue is now some Mass Effect-style dung, they somehow managed to dumb down SPECIAL even more, etc. Can't wait for cringeworthy storyline. Wondering if I should spoil myself anyway.

Here's something I dislike about the New Fallouts: The focus on a single city area rather than really travelling around the wasteland. FO1 happened in an area that was pretty much South California and some of Nevada (you can even see Vegas' ruins there, east of Vault 15), FO2 is in a area from Southern Oregon to the start of Southern California, and from the coast to as far as Nevada. You traveled around little villages, vaults, middle-sized towns, big bustling cities*, great pre-war ruins, pre-war facilities, etc. You explored all sorts of new Post-Apocalyptic communities and places, met all sorts of interesting people, and sometimes killed them. Van Buren was going to happen in Eastern Nevada, Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico.

*that looked like big bustling cities because the engine didn't glitch with +40 chars on screen. Isometric perspective helped).
    Last edited by Slaughter; 11-07-2015 at 12:45 AM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I figure that it'll be a mess at launch for all platforms until bugs are hammered out and mods have come.

So I'll just wait for the inevitable GoTY Edition with all DLC.

I have enough on my backlog to keep me entertained til than.

BANNED

Wait, what?

Bethesda doesn't even know the right people to copy off of. I know I said maybe it would make for a nice FPS before, but if they're going for Destiny, (which I'm sure will mean subpar Destiny [and that game ain't good]) I take it back.
    I don't know. I've heard a lot of good things about combat in Destiny. Not so much about the whole of the game, but it apparently has excellent combat.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't know. I've heard a lot of good things about combat in Destiny. Not so much about the whole of the game, but it apparently has excellent combat.
    I combat is pretty bad. The guns, at least the ones I used, feel very much the same. The enemy AI isn't very good, enemy encounters aren't as good as in Halo, and to counterbalance this lack of difficulty there's just HP bloat. The actual gameplay of Destiny very quickly becomes very tedious and boring. Of all the big FPS's out right now at this moment, it's probably got the worst gameplay to using as an example of what others should be doing...unless there's some new Borderlands game that plays like the old ones.

I combat is pretty bad. The guns, at least the ones I used, feel very much the same. The enemy AI isn't very good, enemy encounters aren't as good as in Halo, and to counterbalance this lack of difficulty there's just HP bloat. The actual gameplay of Destiny very quickly becomes very tedious and boring. Of all the big FPS's out right now at this moment, it's probably got the worst gameplay to using as an example of what others should be doing...unless there's some new Borderlands game that plays like the old ones.
    The combat in Destiny is pretty solid in my opinion, I really enjoy that aspect. There are a lot of tedious activities in Destiny but the core gameplay is pretty solid. But again it's just my opinion and nothing more.

BANNED

Well, I haven't played it, and that is unlikely to ever happen. Most reviews really like it though, even if they slam the entirety of the rest of the game.

That said, you have proven yourself a very unreliable source of information regarding... pretty much anything who can't distinguish between things that aren't your personal cup of tea, and things that are objectively the worst thing ever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Well, I haven't played it, and that is unlikely to ever happen. Most reviews really like it though, even if they slam the entirety of the rest of the game.

That said, you have proven yourself a very unreliable source of information regarding... pretty much anything who can't distinguish between things that aren't your personal cup of tea, and things that are objectively the worst thing ever.
    Most video game reviwers seemingly like everything. Most reviewers are less like reviewers and more like industry cheerleaders, and they don't turn on bad stuff until the next new version comes out. Take Dragon Age 2, terrible game, terrible combat, has terrible copy paste levels (and in a small location), and that game sure ain't good look (even if it looks better than the first)...but it sure got incredible reviews. You would think Dragon Age 2 was the second coming the way it got reviewed. Major review sites didn't start talking critically about that game until Dragon Age 3 time, with maybe a few like a year or two after that game came out. The few reviewers I've heard talk about Destiny on things, they sound less like they like it, and more like they're hooked on something even they don't seemingly think is all that good.

As for that second thing, well, ok. The gameplay in Destiny, it's bad. The enemy encounters arent good, it's pseudo-RPG level system just gives enemies HP bloat to seemingly counter the fact that enemy encounters aren't good...which just means you shoot characters in boring fights longer. This is not something that's fun to do. It starts as an alright thing to do while you're doing something else, like if you want to listen to the radio or a podcast; but it gets very boring pretty quickly. You want to know what Destiny gameplay is like? Imagine a lifeless version of Halo, with boring weapons, and enemy encounters with some bullet sponges that aren't anywhere close to being as good.