Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It will be best for carol to have a chance at another movie or movies. her first film didn't really do anything impressive, i once said her movie's success and somewhat good reception was more about luck and the MCU establishment set in place than actual film merit.

MCU has yet to starch the surface of carol .

And I say this not as a carol fan but it does not mean I wish bad for the character.

In the MCU it is just too soon for rogue to take her powers away.
    I agree with this, Captain Marvel was a pretty weak movie and I don't think Carol as a character has been established enough and has made a strong enough connection with the audience to get the most out of Rogue's introduction and the emotional journey that will bring.

If it was up to me, I'd let Captain Marvel 2 dig further into Carol and let her do her own thing, then only introduce Rogue in the post-credits scene where she comes in and apparently kills Carol. Fade to end credits and see you in Captain Marvel 3 for the full story.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I agree with this, Captain Marvel was a pretty weak movie and I don't think Carol as a character has been established enough and has made a strong enough connection with the audience to get the most out of Rogue's introduction and the emotional journey that will bring.

If it was up to me, I'd let Captain Marvel 2 dig further into Carol and let her do her own thing, then only introduce Rogue in the post-credits scene where she comes in and apparently kills Carol. Fade to end credits and see you in Captain Marvel 3 for the full story.
    I feel Carol will get good character development by reconciling with Monica and being sort of a mentor figure to Kamala Khan

Ultimate Member

Also, why is Rogue so popular? Just wondering, because I'm not familiar with her.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Also, why is Rogue so popular? Just wondering, because I'm not familiar with her.
    She was pretty much the chun li of xmen the animated series back in the 90’s

She’s a character that can be equally fun and tragic. I think it’s dope that she can play a ton of different roles in the franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    She was pretty much the chun li of xmen the animated series back in the 90’s
    what the heck does that even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    what the heck does that even mean?
    It means she was the hot character that every kid had a crush on.

I mean, I'm completely biased but Rogue has an iconic design, a fun personality, and a tragic backstory. It's basically all the hallmarks to making an interesting hero.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    I mean, I'm completely biased but Rogue has an iconic design, a fun personality, and a tragic backstory. It's basically all the hallmarks to making an interesting hero.
    She is gonna be a break out character in the marvel movies

Ultimate Member

I appreciate the answers. Admittedly my first real knowledge of her was the first X-Men trilogy, so I never really got into her. She's seems ok.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLimboBabies View Post
    She is gonna be a break out character in the marvel movies
    That could happen, although I can't be sure she'll even be in the MCU. And even if she is, there are so many other characters coming. But I hope she's adapted properly and faithfully.

As to her and Captain Marvel, I like them about the same, may be Carol a bit more, but that could change.

I appreciate the answers. Admittedly my first real knowledge of her was the first X-Men trilogy, so I never really got into her. She's seems ok.
    Well... yea, if that was my first exposure to Rogue I wouldn't be a fan either lol. The Fox movies Rogue is literally the worst iteration of Rogue in any medium and a far cry from her real personality. xd

I mean when the most exciting thing you do in 6 movies is literally this.

Compared to her regularly doing things like this in the animated series (1991) and in the comics it's no comparison.

Even X-Men Evolution, which had her as a goth and a teenager, represented her personality better. It wasn't necessarily the lack of action in the movies that was the problem either, Rogue's entire story arc in the fox movies centers around her choice to get rid of her powers and reject a part of her that she sees as debilitating. It's a somewhat sympathetic story-line but it reads terribly if you ever took the metaphor to represent anything like sexuality, race, etc... can someone say conversion camps Story wise it's also a narrative dead end and when Rogue had the same situation in the comics, she chose differently.

Of course, if you really wanted to learn more about Rogue I'd suggest reading about her in the comics; it's her source material. Unfortunately she's not being written the best in Excalibur (2019) right now either. I would suggest Vol 3 of Uncanny Avengers (2015) written by Gerry Duggan and Jim Zub as well as Kelly Thompson's Mr and Ms X (2018) for a decently written Rogue in recent runs. But the best Rogue stories are told by Chris Claremont (Uncanny X-Men) and Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy) if you were really curious on why people like her.

Ultimate Member

Even X-Men Evolution, which had her as a goth and a teenager, represented her personality better. It wasn't necessarily the lack of action in the movies that was the problem either, Rogue's entire story arc in the fox movies centers around her choice to get rid of her powers and reject a part of her that she sees as debilitating. It's a somewhat sympathetic story-line but it reads terribly if you ever took the metaphor to represent anything like sexuality, race, etc... can someone say conversion camps Story wise it's also a narrative dead end and when Rogue had the same situation in the comics, she chose differently.

Of course, if you really wanted to learn more about Rogue I'd suggest reading about her in the comics; it's her source material. Unfortunately she's not being written the best in Excalibur (2019) right now either. I would suggest Vol 3 of Uncanny Avengers (2015) written by Gerry Duggan and Jim Zub as well as Kelly Thompson's Mr and Ms X (2018) for a decently written Rogue in recent runs. But the best Rogue stories are told by Chris Claremont (Uncanny X-Men) and Mike Carey (X-Men Legacy) if you were really curious on why people like her.
    Thanks. She seems like a cool character. Although I'm not into the whole "relationship with Gambit thing"

You're right about the metaphor. Although I never bought into it, I agree it looks bad if it's something you can chose to give away.

After all the recent developments (no spoilers), I doubt she'll appear in CM2. If she does, I don't know if she can take out Carol at the level she's at now, especially with Monica in there too (I don't know how powerful Kamala Khan is)

Thanks. She seems like a cool character. Although I'm not into the whole "relationship with Gambit thing"

You're right about the metaphor. Although I never bought into it, I agree it looks bad if it's something you can chose to give away.

After all the recent developments (no spoilers), I doubt she'll appear in CM2. If she does, I don't know if she can take out Carol at the level she's at now, especially with Monica in there too (I don't know how powerful Kamala Khan is)
    Rogue doesn’t have to be powerful enough to take out Carol, she just has to touch her for an extended period of time. But you’re right that with all the Skrull/ Kree stuff they have to deal with i don’t think we’ll be seeing her very soon.

Some writers can't write a healthy relationship and keep it interesting. I read a lot of fantasy, where couples get together early and the series still runs a good 5-10 books afterwards so I know writers can make a couple fun in a serialized work. Comic writers just need to learn to do this as well.

Yea it reads a bit like giving up a part of yourself to conform. It's not an exact 1 to 1 comparison and far be it from me to say if someone had a illness or disorder that they have to live with it because they were born that way but it really depends on a characters perception of how they see themselves. Rogue in the movies, we never even saw her try to live with her powers; so it really reads like a cop out.

Yea I'm not sure the Rogue story arc will have enough room in CM2. Rogue also needs the Brotherhood to make sense so that's extra space and time. If she does get introduced in CM it will probably have to be CM3.

Ultimate Member

Some writers can't write a healthy relationship and keep it interesting. I read a lot of fantasy, where couples get together early and the series still runs a good 5-10 books afterwards so I know writers can make a couple fun in a serialized work. Comic writers just need to learn to do this as well.

Yea it reads a bit like giving up a part of yourself to conform. It's not an exact 1 to 1 comparison and far be it from me to say if someone had a illness or disorder that they have to live with it because they were born that way but it really depends on a characters perception of how they see themselves. Rogue in the movies, we never even saw her try to live with her powers; so it really reads like a cop out.

Yea I'm not sure the Rogue story arc will have enough room in CM2. Rogue also needs the Brotherhood to make sense so that's extra space and time. If she does get introduced in CM it will probably have to be CM3.
    Your point about illness is true. Many would want to get rid of a debilitating condition. But mutant power isn't necessarily one. I think it's the nature of having powers makes the metaphor too wobbly.

I don't like the relationship because I don't like "will they won't they" for the most part, and I'm not a Gambit fan at all. I know the relationship has fans, but I'm not eager to see it or him in the MCU.

Rogue could appear in CM3, but by then it might be a bit late.