Page 13 of 120 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    So to change the topic to something slightly more friendly how old do we think John is? I asked this in the Hal thread as well but I think it’s interesting that John as of time of writing this comment John was present at the time of birth of Jon Kent who without time shenanigans should be 12.

So I always think that Hal’s about early 40’s, so I got to think John is in his mid to late 30’s.
    Hal is the oldest to me. It just makes sense considering Hal's prominent exposure in silver age references and media. Guy would be the second oldest but not too close to Hal or too far. Then John would be younger than both of them but still way older than Kyle. I personally would stick to the ages they were first referenced as before COIE.

Kyle is definitely the youngest. It was said that he was even younger than Wally post COIE.

BANNED

I think when John was first introduced, he was in his early to mid 20s, while Hal and Guy were somewhere in their 30s, possibly late 30s by the time John came around.

When Hal became Parallax, he was written as a 40-something, so John was probably late 20s or early 30s by that point.

Things started to shift when Kyle was introduced because John was supposed to be an older mentor. John was also depicted as being around the same age at Clark and Bruce in the Justice League cartoon, so by the time Johns took over, John was aged up to be closer in age to Hal and Guy, who were de-aged. Hal and John were in the service at the same time, so I doubt they were more than a few years different in age. The infantryman was likely a few years younger than the pilot, given the necessary qualifications to be a military pilot and the fact that John would use his GI money to fund his college education. During the Johns run, everyone started off calling Hal an old man, so he had to have been in his 40s at least. I guess Guy and John were aged to mid-to-late 30s. Kyle was supposed to be 20 something. As the Johns run went on, fewer people called Hal an old man, and he was de-aged to anywhere from early to mid-30s, which is where I think he, John, and Guy are now, while the other Lanterns are in their 20s.

In terms of personal preference, I think John and the other big guns in their prime should be depicted in their 30s. For John in particular, mid-30s, but he should've started ringslinging sometime in his 20s, maybe around 26-28. That allows for his time in the military, his time at university, and maybe some work experience. Hal should be older, maybe late 30s to early 40s. Given their dynamic, Guy should be around as old as John, could be a year older or a year younger. Something like that. The other Lanterns should be in their 20s, but I guess you could argue Baz or Jo seem like early 30-somethings.

If something like 5G ever happens and John's generation has to be promoted in order to give the spotlight to the younger guns, I could see John being aged up into his early 40s.

At one point, I liked the idea of each GL being in a different decade of their life. Alan - 60, Hal - 50, Guy - 40, John - 30, and Kyle - 20, but they have admittedly not been written that way.
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 01-21-2022 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Keeping Katma Tui in his backstory always had me picturing him as being in his late 30s/early 40s. Hard for me to picture a young widower John . With the ring age isn’t really a problem regardless.
    That actually makes a lot of sense to me, I feel like we would see him start out as a Lantern in his 20’s, then around his 30’s he gets experienced and meets Katma and then her death and now he’s either late 30’s or just turned 40. But a still in his prime 40’s you know.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    At one point, I liked the idea of each GL being in a different decade of their life. Alan - 60, Hal - 50, Guy - 40, John - 30, and Kyle - 20, but they have admittedly not been written that way.
    Problem with this is technically Alan is like 100 now a days, held up only by the magic in his ring. Like I think this a great idea but Alan really throws the curve off.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-21-2022 at 08:25 PM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post

i LOVE this.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Problem with this is technically Alan is like 100 now a days, held up only by the magic in his ring. Like I think this a great idea but Alan really throws the curve off.
    Alan being a century old, because of the Starheart is an interesting concept

I view the core four Earth Lanterns as all in their late 30's with the exception of Kyle.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

While Alan is probably over a 100 by now, I think he's physically in his 50s, Hal is in his 40s (but got a post-resurrection rejuvenation back to his 30s), Guy's the same age as Hal but used his ring to keep his body younger, John is in his mid-30s, Kyle's in his late 20s, with Simon & Jessica in their early 20s.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    While Alan is probably over a 100 by now, I think he's physically in his 50s, Hal is in his 40s (but got a post-resurrection rejuvenation back to his 30s), Guy's the same age as Hal but used his ring to keep his body younger, John is in his mid-30s, Kyle's in his late 20s, with Simon & Jessica in their early 20s.
    I figured that Hal could be in his 30s, rather than 40s, post-rebirth.

What era did Guy use his ring to keep his body younger?

Quote Originally Posted by Sodam Yat View Post
    I figured that Hal could be in his 30s, rather than 40s, post-rebirth.

What era did Guy use his ring to keep his body younger?
    During the 90s, Guy used his ring to keep his body younger and stronger than Hal's when they had their rematch to decide who would be GL of Earth. Guy & Hal are both meant to be the same age, which is why Guy qualified for Abin Sur's search for a qualified successor, but John didn't as he was too young.

With all the various time shenanigans and reboots and resets since then, who knows what it is now, though.

Kyle is definitely the youngest. It was said that he was even younger than Wally post COIE.
    Of the pre-Flashpoint human GLs, yeah - he was even a member of the Titans. He's late 20s, around the same age as Nightwing (who he replaced both times he was on the Titans). Simon, Jessica and Jo should all be younger though (maybe 22-25).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

This feels the most accurate.

During the 90s, Guy used his ring to keep his body younger and stronger than Hal's when they had their rematch to decide who would be GL of Earth. Guy & Hal are both meant to be the same age, which is why Guy qualified for Abin Sur's search for a qualified successor, but John didn't as he was too young.

With all the various time shenanigans and reboots and resets since then, who knows what it is now, though.
    This is interesting. I was aware that John was considered too young to get the ring. But it's my first time hearing that Guy using his ring to keep his body younger. I'm sure that was the only time this was probably mentioned.

Yeah, I'm sure it's probably forgotten, especially if a writer hasn't even been aware of that instance back then.

This is interesting. I was aware that John was considered too young to get the ring. But it's my first time hearing that Guy using his ring to keep his body younger. I'm sure that was the only time this was probably mentioned.

Yeah, I'm sure it's probably forgotten, especially if a writer hasn't even been aware of that instance back then.
    John being younger than Hal & Guy has certainly been swept under the continuity rug. In Secret Origin, Johns & Reis showed Hal being in the Air Force at the same time that John was in the Marines. This doesn't really make Guy's origin make any sense, as the whole idea was that Abin Sur's ring found two identically worthy candidates, one in Baltimore and another in nearby Coast City. Perhaps John was deployed overseas at that time or something.

You know what thinking about Alan got me thinking something, are John and Hal immortal/expanded life expectancy? Because Hal has had weird life stuff with being parallax, Spectre, living Willpower, multiverse energy, etc. and John is some kind of human guardian/god level being with the ability to choose his own future state as we saw in the most recent issue.

Makes me think that John and Hal could very much live to be like Alan all things considered, even if the rings are inherently different.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.