Page 46 of 238 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696146 ... LastLast
    Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Namor just never gets to be flavor of the week. But of course we want more than that.

I guess DC did an end run around this. (Let's give Aquaman dark, shaggy hair, like Namor once had and then . . .)
    Grrrrrrrr.

It's so sad that we will probably have to wait for a Namor MCU appearance to get anything going in the comics. I mean, even places where he should be taking a front seat row, like AXE, he's no where to be found.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

At least we have this alternate universe version, with that hated goatee, coming out this week.

Of course, we've got Namor losing his mind ... again. : (

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/maes...t-his-giganto/
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Eye-rolling bajuszbetyár The Invincible Beawulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post

Well, this just reminds me of Zdarsky's Invaders run -_- Finished it last week. Overall, a decent Invaders story.

But what's your opinion about Zdarsky's Namor? Is he poorly or well written? I'm asking bc I know almost nothing about this magnificent character.
    Last edited by The Invincible Beawulf; 06-20-2022 at 11:50 AM.
    BL and comics fan. 🌈 ----- For those saying BL is "pandering to fujos! Too girly! It's fetishization!!!" --> https://www.fujoshi.info/ (a website with academic resources on Queer Media Studies in Asia and LGBTQIA+ history)

The queer body has been used as a battleground, has been criminalized, ostracized, and many times erased from their own histories. -- Alesha Byrne (University of San Francisco)

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    Well, this just reminds me of Zdarsky's Invaders run -_- Finished it last week. Overall, a decent Invaders story.

But what's your opinion about Zdarsky's Namor? Is he poorly or well written? I'm asking bc I know almost nothing about this magnificent character.
    Ah, well you've come to the right place to find out about the awesomeness that is Namor! Welcome!

Overall, I enjoyed Zdarsky's Namor, though I did have some issues with the story line. You could tell Zdarsky loves the character and he portrayed him very sympathetically, I thought. Much like Milligan and Ribic's Sub-Mariner the Depths, Zdarsky / Magno / Guice Invaders book was a great read. He took a sensitive real life subject into the superhero venue and for the most part, conveyed the trauma honestly and emotionally. That said, neither book exactly was 616 Namor, IMO -- though Zdarsky would claim otherwise, I'm sure.

There were too many retcons that didn't make sense / fit in with 616 Namor. The whole amnesia era was off, like DID Namor have amnesia, or not? Why wouldn't all these people he was interacting with NOT tell him he was an Atlantean Prince? Oh wait, he DID go back and forth to Atlantis. And if all that stuff happened with Professor X, WHY was it never referred to before? Also, why did Namor let Professor X off with zero consequences, after all he did to him?

Plus, I've always refused to believe that the sliding timeline would NOT be applied to Namor's post Atlas era "disappearance" cause it makes zero sense that the Atlanteans (as well as Krang and Byrrah and Attuma) would wait around for their ruler for half a century, not to mention, Lady Dorma.

Also, I know Zdarsky wanted to push the Cap and Namor relationship, but in the comics, it is clearly Namor and Jim Hammond that have that special bond. So it was really painful to see what happened between Namor and Hammond and not have it addressed at all in the end.

I really don't care for all the 'mad king' story lines or "explanations" for Namor's mercurial nature. If you read about the Atlanteans, it's very clear, they are a very ... emotional people. Not to mention, Namor was raised to be a king -- with all the good and bad that entails. The idea that he's had this artificial construct in his head since the 1950s that we've never seen or heard of since then? Questionable to say the least.

At least we have this alternate universe version, with that hated goatee, coming out this week.

I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    I don't at all hate the goatee look, it somehow suits this Namor. Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    Oh no! Not the goatee! ;PPPPPP

The art is definitely growing on me. I think it would be a nice twist if Namor decides AGAINST conflict, instead of simply getting trounced by Maestro.

Although I really enjoy the art, what I don't love is the gills, buuuut we've had that convo here lol
    I know, right?! I believe it's much better when they're hardly visible (IMHO):

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]I know, right?! I believe it's much better when they're hardly visible (IMHO):
    Yes! Classic Namor. No scruff and the speedo!

Late to this gills convo but I like how the gills are portrayed during the short-lived NAMOR YA back when Marvel was trying to bring in the Young Adult reading crowd.

but then again, the location seemed to fluctuate from behind the ear to further down the neck during the same period.
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Well, I read Maestro ... and I'm a bit disappointed. A very erratic Namor -- and I totally do NOT see his Namor doing that to Numa. At all.

Not sure about Doom either. Or now Abomination??? I guess I'm going to have to go back and read this all together when it finishes up.

IW should be pleased, though, for at least one thing. Congrats!

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Lolol, please don't take the gills away from me Doombot, I love them too much! XD

Oh no! Not the goatee! ;PPPPPP

The art is definitely growing on me. I think it would be a nice twist if Namor decides AGAINST conflict, instead of simply getting trounced by Maestro.
    I feel like Namor was trying to avoid conflict/talk Hulk/Maestro down but like then all bets were off when his family was killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Late to this gills convo but I like how the gills are portrayed during the short-lived NAMOR YA back when Marvel was trying to bring in the Young Adult reading crowd.

but then again, the location seemed to fluctuate from behind the ear to further down the neck during the same period.
    Namor has had gills since the 70s but they have been visible on and off throughout the years due to artists not knowing even though it was a plot point for a comic arc. I do love when they are visible!

Well, I read Maestro ... and I'm a bit disappointed. A very erratic Namor -- and I totally do NOT see his Namor doing that to Numa. At all.

Not sure about Doom either. Or now Abomination??? I guess I'm going to have to go back and read this all together when it finishes up.

IW should be pleased, though, for at least one thing. Congrats!
    Thanks for the Congrats!!! I was SO PLEASED when I saw my namesake in today's comic and now it's canon! It's funny bc I had taken a spoken line by Namor from Roast of the Fantastic Four, and added the -ed at the end to get Imperius Wrecked and now years later it's in the comics!

Screenshot_20220622-155619_Tumblr.jpg

Screenshot_20220622-153247_Vivaldi Browser.jpg

I do think mentally Namor is not in the right place and his subconscious family was both of his sides warring within him, Nuuma would have talked him down if Leonard ll hadn't stopped her. I'm not pleased with the "Mad King" plot but it's almost a sure thing these days that every writer wants to do this :/
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

Namor just never gets to be flavor of the week. But of course we want more than that.

I guess DC did an end run around this. (Let's give Aquaman dark, shaggy hair, like Namor once had and then . . .)
    The MCU course is clear in response to DCEU going with a very visually Namor-esque take with their Aquaman on the big screen: Go with the clean cut regal version with their adaptation of the Sub-Mariner...
    Early "leaks" and rumors would seem to confirm they are on that track. Though the possible casting of Tenoch Huerta, would make both Atlantean kings tan/brown skinned (but that ain't a bad thing).
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/bl...new-promo-art/
    https://twitter.com/MyTimeToShineH/status/1528843708602503171?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5 Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1528843708602503171%7Ctwgr% 5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.redditm edia.com%2Fmediae zmbed%2Fuwacd3%3Fresponsive%3Dtrueis_nightmode%3Df a lse
    Last edited by Thirteen; 06-23-2022 at 04:44 AM.

I'm mostly not against this casting. Namor should be somewhat exotic looking, compared to most of us.

It is why I don't want the 4 to have major changes in terms of casting, but I get called out for that.
    Is it really wrong to want a property to look like the property?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

I'm mostly not against this casting. Namor should be somewhat exotic looking, compared to most of us.

It is why I don't want the 4 to have major changes in terms of casting, but I get called out for that.
    Is it really wrong to want a property to look like the property?
    Institutionalized racism and representation are the enemies of having a "Lily White" property in this day and age. Namor McKenzie, being the epitome of "mixed race" should be off the charts in that regard.

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

I do think any discussion of Fantastic Four casting should stay in the Fantastic Four discussion.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis