Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default Batman#39 Could Be Borrowing A Plot From An Issue of Action Comics..

According to sources, Batman#39 may be based off the notorious 561st issue of Action Comics where Clark resisted temptation from Diana as they participated in a thousand years war.

On one hand...Wonderbat...kind of yay (only out of my college era fondness for JLU)

On the other hand...not even a month into the new year and we've got Trinity 'shipping.

Poor Steve.

(Selina I'm not worried about, Bruce will resist)

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/01...-571-spoilers/
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 01-13-2018 at 02:01 PM.

Not surprising. Absolutely ridiculous, but not surprising. I had a passing hope that, with Steve back in the picture in a pre-FP-like setting, they wouldn't force Diana having the hots for Batman. But then I realized that this was silly, of course they'd do that. Just like that horrible issue of Action drug Diana through the mud that she was into someone who didn't want her, it has to happen again, only with increased stupidity because this time her main love interest exists again.

Especially in today's climate you gotta marvel at how tone deaf DC is right now going back to the well of propping up a male character by having him "honorably" resist the temptations of the company's marquee female superhero. After the good stuff done with the Superman friendship, I'm very disappointed that King is going to go this route and embarrass Wonder Woman.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Now I understand why a Batman 39 topic is here and not in WW..
    Last edited by adrikito; 01-13-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Well at least it is better than Superman/Wonder Woman, but I wouldn't expect much from this given how hard King is selling Bruce and Selina.

Its not at all better. At least when they did Superman/Wonder Woman it was in a reboot context in which neither character had any current romantic ties. Wonder Woman is with Steve again. Batman is freaking engaged. And they go down this route? They can pad it with all the technicalities they want but the aim is clear: they need to make it known that even though he's getting married, Wonder Woman still wants him and he could have her at any time if he wasn't such a great guy. Its disgusting, just like the aforementioned Action issue was back when that abomination hit the shelves.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

What does this have to do with Superman?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

BANNED

When Jason asked Diana if she was in love with Steve over in Robinson's first arc on her ongoing, she said she thought she was, which made me pretty uneasy.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    What does this have to do with Superman?
    Read what's covered in the link.

Hopefully the Robinson run completely ignores this and that comment has to do more with stuff self-contained to that title, if anything.

But yeah, this is probably better suited for the WW forum. Not like they'd want this sad news.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 02:32 PM.

BANNED

I just thought the similarities warranted discussion. Had it not been connected to Action, I would have just put it in the Batman and WW categories.

Sorry if it was interpreted as clickbait.

S'alright. I just hate this idea with the fire of a million suns. It is without exaggeration the #1 thing, in all of comics, that I never wanted to see again. And I've been nervous for months that the tea leaves seemed to be trending back in that direction and to basically get confirmation is a gut punch as a WW fan.

One of the worst issues of Action Comics.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its not at all better. At least when they did Superman/Wonder Woman it was in a reboot context in which neither character had any current romantic ties. Wonder Woman is with Steve again. Batman is freaking engaged. And they go down this route? They can pad it with all the technicalities they want but the aim is clear: they need to make it known that even though he's getting married, Wonder Woman still wants him and he could have her at any time if he wasn't such a great guy. Its disgusting, just like the aforementioned Action issue was back when that abomination hit the shelves.
    QTF.

It's seriously ridiculous, and I totally hate it.

I've never liked the WonderBat ship, but this is utter disrespect to Wonder Woman as a character and a concept.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

You mean 761. Action comics #561 was pre crisis.

But it felt like a pre crisis story in its imagination. I liked it as a harmless statement on Clark. Throw Diana under the bus? Eh, they literally went a thousand years together, it's not a character slight to show that over the course of a millennium, she might have feelings. It would have made complete sense for him to have feelings, but the point was his loyalty is... super, just like the rest of him. Most people would regard the death or long term separation from a spouse as time to move on, but Clark is the kind of guy who would never marry again. Whereas Diana had no obligation to tht commitment since she wasn't the married one.

Maybe fans who lean toward Diana over Clark didn't like that, but she did turn respectfully down his advances in his own book years prior so I'm not sure that's unfair, and on top of that Rucka recalled heir actual relationship as a mere hook up, so if anything Superman titles have been more "fair."

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    S'alright. I just hate this idea with the fire of a million suns. It is without exaggeration the #1 thing, in all of comics, that I never wanted to see again. And I've been nervous for months that the tea leaves seemed to be trending back in that direction and to basically get confirmation is a gut punch as a WW fan.
    Ha- the one upside to Bruce's engagement to Selina. Once they get married with the sort of fan-acceptance to the commitment that fans hold for the "Lois/Superman" ship, no more WonderBat. Or at least a much smaller chance of getting it.

But I still think Bruce's one and only true love, against whom all romantic partners must be measured and inevitably fall short, is Gotham City.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

I didn't mind Clark staying loyal to Lois. But it tried too hard. I don't need to have to have Superman aging 1000 years in the span of one issue just to drive home the idea that he loves his wife and wouldn't cheat on her. It was a simple message made long and done at the expense of lore because I hated imagining Superman lived that long upon his return. I can suspend my level of disbelief for a lot, but not the idea that an issue is asking me to believe that at the end of it, Superman is essentially 1,038 years old give or take. Its easily forgettable, and indeed forever ignored, but still annoying. So yeah, there's really nothing about this issue to be repeated that I would be on board with.

Here's hoping the article is embellished for the sake of clicks and this is a lot different on all levels.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-13-2018 at 04:09 PM.