Page 334 of 1159 FirstFirst ... 234284324330331332333334335336337338344384434834 ... LastLast
Results 4,996 to 5,010 of 17378
    All-New Member

Oh I didn't realise it wasn't Oversized. Seeing as it won't fit in with other event OHC's and is not uniform with any other ongoing series collected in that format I probably won't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    What do you guys think of the Oz omnibus that's just out? Any recommendations?
    I'd really like to know myself. I've always been interested in the Oz stories. (I'm of the opinion that Wizard Of Oz is the greatest example of Hollywood magic ever made.) Also, big fan of Skottie Young's imaginative Bill Watterson influenced style, but I never seem to collect anything he does.

Think I'm going to go ahead and buy it. At the worst, I don't get into it, save it, and pass it along to my newborn nephew when he starts up with books.

Where should I start with Marvel Cosmic comics? I guess Infinity Gauntlet Omnibus is pretty obvious but what would be next? Don't know much about events, I know there was that thing called Annihilation and that's it really.

*obligatory cosmic marvel jpeg.
    *adjusted slightly because piracy!

Last edited by NZ_InFerno; 09-03-2014 at 04:21 AM. Reason: applied mad mspaint skillz

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    When Amazon replaces your copy, is it contingent on your returning the damaged one?
    Not necessarily. They'll send you a new one immediately. But if they don't received the damaged one back in <30 days, they'll charge you for the replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    So thanks to whoever discovered the BAM super discount on AVX and the Companion (was it you omnibus?). I ordered last week and they arrived today. For those interested in what the remainder mark looks like I took some pics. Personally, I didn't think they were too bad. I've seen bigger and more invasive marks. The companion did by the way come in a box. Mine was a little busted up but the book looks excellent.
    Same here! Mine arrived yesterday and aside from the remainder marks, through a tiny slit in the shrinkwrap, the books are in great shape! Can't complain about the S&H either. BAM put a ton of packing paper in the box so they couldn't move around very much and get all dinged up. It's funny, the books were only $15 ea online but each had a $19.97 clearance sticker!

Quote Originally Posted by Roland1580 View Post
    Does anybody planning to buy Marvel Masterworks 75th anniversary box set in a nearest days? And where?
    Man, I was so on the fence about this set as recently as last week. But I think I'll pass. It would be a double dip for me on the FF, Spidey, X-Men, Hulk and Avengers volumes, but the other volumes, along with the Avengers retro box set + Stan Lee signed poster by Alex Ross are really sweet. It's a hard one to pass up, but when I think realistically about dropping upwards of $270 on comics, almost half of which I already own in another format, even with the Stan Lee signature it's a tough pill to swallow.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russ840 View Post
    How much would I have to spend to collect the spidey masterworks in hardcover ? I have decided that waiting for the omnibus' is annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    It will cost a lot of money. Masterworks are extremely expensive, many of them are OOP and there are a lot of Spider-Man volumes to pick up. With the price of the Masterworks being bumped up to $75 you are paying a lot of money for comics that will inevitably appear in a cheaper format. The omnibus might be a long wait but you have two real alternatives, the Masterworks TPBs and the Epics.

We can expect Volume 16 of the ASM MMW to be released in TPB by February 2028. Each Masterwork volume contains around a year of comics and on average comics out every 18 months. The Epics contain a year and a half of comics and currently come out once a year. So in three years there will be two more years of ASM collected in the MMW TPBs and four and a half years of ASM collected in the Epics. The Epics definitely publish more but it's out of order.

Currently there are four Spider-Man Epics, Vol 1, Vol 15, Vol 20. Vol 22 comes out in 2015. Now, estimating roughly Vol 2-10 will cover the material currently covered by the Masterworks (which are up to #168). Thats nine volumes, or nine years. But there are also nine volumes spanning Vol 11-14, 16-19 and 21. So it could be eightenn years before that entire patch gets filled in, if one of the Volumes 2-10 is the last one released. But thats assumed Vol 22 is the last volume, which is highly unlikely.

At any rate, you're either looking to spend a lot of money on Masterworks or wait a while for the MMW TPBs and Epics. Now, had Marvel not screwed over the Epics and kept them on the accelerated two volumes per year schedule then it would be a no brainer, go for the Epics. But right now it's really hard to say what format you should go for. With the Masterworks TPBs you know you've got a 13.5 year wait, with the Epics it could be a shorter wait or a longer wait. Really it's up to you and it depends on how badly you want to read the material. For what it's worth I'm pretty sure all of the MMW'd material is on Marvel's Digital Unlimited service so if you just want to read the stories thats an option.
    Great info. there COH!

I would just add that if you do go the MMW ASM HC route, make sure you pick the new ones up shortly after they are released. If you're in the US, buy them from IST with the 50% discount. If in Europe, wait for them to appear on the amazon.co.uk marketplace which is what I do. The MMW ASM HCs do not go to clearance but sell out and go OOP.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

I've been considering buying the x-men and uncanny x-men masterworks in paperback but the uncanny x-men masterworks TPB haven't been updated since 2012. Have they been discontinued?

There would be nothing more annoying than if I started collecting and then had to buy other editions to get the complete run.

PS. Is there a website that shows all the tpbs coming up from marvel?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Royale View Post
    I've been considering buying the x-men and uncanny x-men masterworks in paperback but the uncanny x-men masterworks TPB haven't been updated since 2012. Have they been discontinued?

There would be nothing more annoying than if I started collecting and then had to buy other editions to get the complete run.

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.co...D=1679&depth=1

The catalouge for spring 2015 should show up in a couple of days.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Royale View Post

I've been in the progess of doing the same thing. As for the Masterworks though, only vol. 1 is still in print (which was received a third printing, although with thinner paper stock that originally, last year.) The contents of vol. 5 are however covered by the Dark Phoenix and Days of Future Past TPBs, both high-points of Claremont/Byrne's run, whilst Proteus has a Premiere Hardcover, although that doesn't cover the Arcade story which precedes it in the Masterwork.

Sometimes Masterworks go two years without new volumes, so I suspect volume 6 may appear in TPB next year - but everything up to April doesn't show UXM as one of them, although other series are getting new Masterworks TPB volumes.

The Omnibuses are probably the most available options, although obviously a little more than the price of 3 Masterwork TPBs.

As for upcoming TPBs, there's a few options. If you want to see the cover and exact details, I suggest you look at the monthly Solicitations on this site, which generally come out around the middle of the month. However, as book info is sent to publishers before the Diamond solicitations are up there, it's possible to look ahead on sites like these, although bear in mind not every volume will have complete listing details. The Marvel Masterworks website keeps a list of new releases every week.

Mighty Member America / Bucky / Russia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I didn't realise there was another X-Men pocketbook on the schedules. Thanks for the heads up.
    I wish it were a faster schedule than annual, though, although I think Panini have been focusing a little more on multimedia tie-ins this year with Pocket Books for The Coming of the Falcon, Rocket Raccoon and Deathlok the Demolisher.

I do want to fill in some of my X-Men gaps, but I'll probably have to resort to a couple of out-of-print Pocket Books in lieu of there being an affordable Masterwork collection out there for ~#150-198.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    Not necessarily. They'll send you a new one immediately. But if they don't received the damaged one back in <30 days, they'll charge you for the replacement.

Same here! Mine arrived yesterday and aside from the remainder marks, through a tiny slit in the shrinkwrap, the books are in great shape! Can't complain about the S&H either. BAM put a ton of packing paper in the box so they couldn't move around very much and get all dinged up. It's funny, the books were only $15 ea online but each had a $19.97 clearance sticker!
    Yeah, I noticed that, too. If we waited another month, Marvel might have paid us to take them!

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    I'm fascinated by this idea that certain Silver Age runs, which were of course written in the same era and often by the same creators, can be more accessible to modern readers than certain other Silver Age runs. I understand that ASM and FF are two of the more accessible ones (at least that seems to be the predominant opinion).

Here's my question: Which SA runs do you all find the most accessible to modern readers and which do you find the least accessible to modern readers?
    Victor posed a very similar question not so long ago. From those that I have read, I would say the most accessible are Daredevil (quite corny at times but enjoyable) and Amazing Spider-Man (sometimes too wordy but again enjoyable), whereas the least accessible are Hulk (it was a bit of a slog for me to get through the 1st MMW HC) and X-men (not overly bad but not overly exciting).

Quote Originally Posted by momaw View Post
    Just did the IST/Amazon comparison and IST was only a couple of dollars more for the Deadpool Minibus and Vol 10 Walking Dead OHC to Australia than my current amazon preorder so I cancelled amazon and ordered from IST. This is the third order for me using IST international. 50% off plus their cheaper international shipping (compared to what it used to be) has made them a really alternative to amazon. A few extra dollars is worth it for pristine condition books and not having to dread how your order is going to arrive.
    IST is getting on my nerves. I placed an order over two weeks ago and it hasn't even shipped yet. All of the books were fairly new releases too so stock shouldn't be delaying it. I wonder if the move has anything to do with it.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    IST is getting on my nerves. I placed an order over two weeks ago and it hasn't even shipped yet. All of the books were fairly new releases too so stock shouldn't be delaying it. I wonder if the move has anything to do with it.
    I'm guessing it does. I placed two separate orders within a couple days of each other during the moving sale, the second of which just arrived yesterday. I believe the moving sale announcement even mentioned that we should see faster processing/shipping times after all is said and done...?

In the past I usually received my IST packages 7 days from the order date, which is pretty damn fast for standard shipping, so I'm crossing my fingers that this move doesn't negatively effect me...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    When Amazon replaces your copy, is it contingent on your returning the damaged one?
    They replace the book and then request you send the unwanted one back. If you fail to send it back, they 'reserve the right' to charge you again, but don't always.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God