Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Tut Tut shame on Bruce and years later he goes on to date multiple women of colour, a woman of the night with no breeding and have a mixed race kid. Hypocrite
    Maybe Bruce was more of a bigot back then in 1938 than he is now.

Dick Grayson status as adopted/ward could easily be figured out if writers took the time to understand why wards were acceptable in the ‘40’s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    Dick Grayson status as adopted/ward could easily be figured out if writers took the time to understand why wards were acceptable in the ‘40’s.
    Here is how Websters defines "ward":
    : a person or thing under guard, protection, or surveillance: such as
    a : a minor subject to wardship
    b : a person who by reason of incapacity (such as minority or mental illness) is under the protection of a court either directly or through a guardian appointed by the court
    — called also ward of court
    c : a person or body of persons under the protection or tutelage of a government

Okay, "ward" means that the court said underage Dick could live in Bruce's house. Woo.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    I can try, but I haven't read most of her appearances. Give me a couple days and I'll get back to you on that. Or weeks, there's a lot of Barbara stories, and I'm ready to invest in all of them so I'll have to see what my local library has in stock.
    You're the hero we deserve, Arctic Cyclist. I've just been reading all your descriptions and laughing.

Really wants to have sex, has decided to wait until he turns 18.

Will never turn 18.
    The greatest tragedy. rip Tim

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Tim already had sex. Half the fandom rejoiced and half the fandom annoyed because it's not with the person they want or that he's not a virgin anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Tim already had sex. Half the fandom rejoiced and half the fandom annoyed because it's not with the person they want or that he's not a virgin anymore.
    Because it made him less relatable to them?
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    Because it made him less relatable to them?
    Part of it may be, part of it because virgin American heroes are rare, and part of it because they want him to be gay who date women as his beard

BANNED

I think Tim should be gay.

Fantastic Member

Another thing, the reason i stress "lower class" is Dick's refusal to be really a son of Bruce Wayne. Devin Grayson's writting is ooc so i throw the adoption away. She writes him confused about his very queer and fanboying relationship with Bruce, when he is supposed to understand. If he was reluctant and confused, it should be 1. filter that through their not pretty past and their distance in lifestyle and thinking, 2. want to be adopted out of feeling lost at that point in life (if he ever would be) and Bruce put his foot down, determined to adopt him. He and Bruce both understand being a son of Bruce meant taking WE and Batman on his shoulders, and abide by Bruce's rules, which he didn't want to.

Even when he was adobted AND Batman he still thinks he was only the circus boy Bruce took in. One part is his love for his parents and traditions and circus blood, one part is he thinks he's nothing more than ex-ward to Bruce. He is like "Jason, Tim and Damian, you do do whatever you want to, you are his sons and you are so good and you deserves everything" but HE didn't. In No Man land (which is the last consistent developing characterisation of all the Bats IMHO) he was like "Tim be careful i dont want to let Bruce know i leave his sidekick in danger" There's that sad note about him acting like a big brother while thinking he is not worthy of their father. Whether that is because he feared commitment to the Batman mantle or it's his own self-worth is up to interpretation.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 11-08-2018 at 07:22 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    Another thing, the reason i stress "lower class" is Dick's refusal to be really a son of Bruce Wayne. Devin Grayson's writting is ooc so i throw the adoption away. She writes him confused about his very queer and fanboying relationship with Bruce, when he is supposed to understand. If he was reluctant and confused, it should be 1. filter that through their not pretty past and their distance in lifestyle and thinking, 2. want to be adopted out of feeling lost at that point in life (if he ever would be) and Bruce put his foot down, determined to adopt him. He and Bruce both understand being a son of Bruce meant taking WE and Batman on his shoulders, and abide by Bruce's rules, which he didn't want to.

Even when he was adobted AND Batman he still thinks he was only the circus boy Bruce took in. One part is his love for his parents and traditions and circus blood, one part is he thinks he's nothing more than ex-ward to Bruce. He is like "Jason, Tim and Damian, you do do whatever you want to, you are his sons and you are so good and you deserves everything" but HE didn't. In No Man land (which is the last consistent developing characterisation of all the Bats IMHO) he was like "Tim be careful i dont want to let Bruce know i leave his sidekick in danger" There's that sad note about him acting like a big brother while thinking he is not worthy of their father. Whether that is because he feared commitment to the Batman mantle or it's his own self-worth is up to interpretation.
    Well, Devin Grayson clearly had her own agenda and it had nothing to do with promoting the character she was hired to write. Where in the world was the Editor?

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I thought it was ambiguous whether he had sex or not?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I thought it was ambiguous whether he had sex or not?
    It was relatively ambiguous. However, the last number of Lobdell Teen Titans imply it was just a kiss between Tim and Cassie.

I guess Lobdell saw the bad reception to the ambigous situation (influenced by Trigon), so he decide a kiss was enough.

Now, even Teen Titans of Lobdell seems to be retconned (DCU app say that New52 Superboy doesn't exist anymore, since the timeline of Superman changed). So, I guess we can forgot all about that.
    Last edited by Konja7; 11-08-2018 at 09:27 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    It was relatively ambiguous. However, the last number of Lobdell Teen Titans imply it was just a kiss between Tim and Cassie.

Now, even Teen Titans of Lobdell seems to be retconned (DCU app say that New52 Superboy doesn't existed anymore, since the timeline of Superman changed).
    You can't even keep track of all the retcons; they vary depending on the whim of the writer of the moment. It'd be a sweet gig to have no accountability.

Fantastic Member

They can retcon Tim's ugliness out but Dick only seem to keep the most ugly and pathetic canon to himself and all the things that made him look good are thrown out. This has been reorcurring since 1980, until the kept ones literally teared the Bat mythos apart and makes no sense anymore in the 2000s and Prime Earth.
    Last edited by nhienphan2808; 11-08-2018 at 08:57 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nhienphan2808 View Post
    They can retcon Tim's ugliness out but Dick only seem to keep the most ugly and pathetic canon to himself and all the things that made him look good are thrown out. This has been reorcurring since 1980, until the kept ones literally teared the Bat mythos apart and makes no sense anymore in the 2000s and Prime Earth.
    All the things that make Dick look good are taken from him and bestowed upon Tim.