Page 69 of 107 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1592

Thread: The Mandalorian

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jtd View Post
    Carano was great in the role. Tha's how she should be judged. Gone is civility, gone is disagreement.

The poster who said cancel culture is BS...nope it's absolutely real. Its no a matter of "don't be an a-hole". Too simplistic. And I determine what being an "a-hole" is, right? Even if I disagree with you? Or you with me?

Please. The United States, due to the ability via social media to form virtual 'mobs' is having it's civility eroded.

"I don't like that you said that. YOU NEED TO PAY FOR IT NOW!"
    It’s not some new thing from social media. Boycotts based off opinion or behavior have been around forever. And as others have said, there’s penalties for being an ******* in stupid ways; if it hurts the brand, whether that of a bigger company or your own, it’s a problem you created yourself. Basic maturity and an ability to read the room are life skills that some people ar being exposed for lacking. Carano also kept padding out on to thin ice; at a certain point, willful ignorance is no longer ignorance. She was making herself a liability. That’s part of the business.

To be honest... I think the bigger issue some are having is that social media means that people share their opinions out loud where they used to be quiet, or at least something you took your time with explaining. And sadly for one side of the political spectrum, protecting the unprotectable and arguing against the inarguable has become the norm.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

In 5-10 years, the old axiom of saying "Don't shout 'FIRE' in a crowded theater" will be "Don't liken your disagreement to the holocaust on social media."

"But MOOOOOOMMMM! I just wanted to be a racist ******* on the internet!"

People ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Well ... this got off topic quickly.

Maybe we need a SW Politics thread??

On topic ...

How many episodes do you think will happen before Grogu come back?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Well ... this got off topic quickly.

Maybe we need a SW Politics thread??

On topic ...

How many episodes do you think will happen before Grogu come back?
    I feel like they should keep him off of the show for at least a season, and have Mando have another mission. Maybe unifying the other Mandalorians.

The thing is, Grogu is so popular, I'm not sure they WILL keep him off for any extended period of time.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    I feel like they should keep him off of the show for at least a season, and have Mando have another mission. Maybe unifying the other Mandalorians.

The thing is, Grogu is so popular, I'm not sure they WILL keep him off for any extended period of time.
    Sure he is popular. But I could be wrong, the show is more than him and I don't think people will not stream it if the story is good without grogu. I find it hard to believe that there will be viewers of the show if the story is good saying man grogu wasn't on I'm not watching anymore.

Okay folks, dial it back. Obviously the Carano stuff is relevant to the show, but let's not do the deep dive into the politics of it. If that's the way you want to go, Community forum > politics thread.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Sure he is popular. But I could be wrong, the show is more than him and I don't think people will not stream it if the story is good without grogu. I find it hard to believe that there will be viewers of the show if the story is good saying man grogu wasn't on I'm not watching anymore.
    People will still watch but the heart of the story was a man taking care of this adopted child. They can pivot away and find a new emotional center like uniting and resurrecting Mandalore. What it means to be Mandalorian etc... I think Grogu comes back but maybe not right away. Seaoson finale or maybe even a stinger.

Sad Carano lost her job but she had multiple chances to dial it back. Also think the James Gunn Comparison is silly af. He said something 10years prior to getting the job. Her stuff was ongoing. Forget the politics of it all. From the sound of it she was warned multiple times and protected by Favrou. No one's coming out and defending her now. My guess is they all know she had every chance to just get off Twitter. Look at Letticia Wright. Is she even on Twitter anymore after that **** storm? Other issues is. No one cares when you call someone a Nazi or Communist. Hapoens all the time in Hollywood and politics. It's lost all its power. Comparing your trivial plight to that of the Jews in Nazi Germany is a different thing all together. I don't think she meant it the way its been taken though. Or even if she did there was no malice. She just didn't think it through. So I feel bad for her but at the same time understand why they had to let her go. Again think it's telling all her cast Mates who defended her in the past are silent now. Favrou probably isn't happy.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 02-12-2021 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I was under the impression that Dune's show was separate and that Paul Sun-Hyung Lee was going to be the star of Rangers?

Based on Dave & Jon's comments.
    The old pudgy dude? Unless he is a secret Jedi, that would be a big mistake...
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

I think if Disney realizes that Grogu needs more attention they could consider an animated show with Grogu and Luke. I'd certainly be on board for that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Don't start with this Cancel Culture BS. 'Cancel Culture' is just a buzzword made up by a-holes to let them pretend that they're being oppressed when they get punished for being a-holes.

We need more A-holes to be held accountable, not less
    No agree 110% with folks who have a history of trash behavior and abuse to be held accountable and canceled. Gina definitely deserved to be fired for her history of social media posts. I was just saying that someone the internet or nerd community really likes but they made on foolish mistake and gets canceled forever even if they are not longer the person that made that mistake. Like what if something came up with Mark Hamill or something. I know people and flawed and we can learn and grow from past mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    But it wasn’t immediate “cancel culture”. They had let her previous statements slide and were more than willing to keep her on as a regular. She’s dumb enough to keep saying moronic things and got to the point where she compared being a conservative to 6 million Jews being murdered in the holocaust. This cancel culture argument is incredibly stupid in this situation. She had her chance and was given leeway. She did this to herself.

Yea I agree she brought this on herself with her MANY trash social media posts. I was just saying in general that people are flawed and I could hate for a good person to be canceled for a past mistaken and they aren't even that person anymore you know? Again, not defending her statements as they were gross.

Astonishing Member

I think Gina Carano is a really weak actress that didn’t get much better on this show, so frankly I
    I think, “huh?” whenever I see posts that claim her performance was good. It leaves me wondering if I saw a different performance or something because I thought she was tough to stomach acting-wise in pretty much every scene that didn’t involve action. She could never muster anything beyond two facial expressions, and honestly she was clearly the weak link. Like Gal Gadot, she had the luxury of being elevated by acting along much stronger actors like Carl Weathers and Pedro Pascal who are good at their craft, but her performance was nothing but mediocre at best. Gina has charisma, I’ll give her that, but when she tries to emote...and say a line it’s kind of cringe to watch a lot of the time.

But regardless of how I feel about her talent(or lack thereof) Disney ultimately made the best decision for them and nobody here needs reminding that Disney is a billion dollar corporation who only cares about the bottom line. So they read the room and determined that Carano had dug herself in too deep a climb out of PR wise. They don’t want the conversation around their products to be centered around one actor’s toxicity again and again. It could possibly impact profits which means this move to fire her was more of a practical business decision than a decision out of genuine morality. Now , I won’t miss her and neither will millions who watch the show for any reasons other than to see Gina Carano in armor kicking butt and shooting space lasers. Her character was never that integral to the show so it stands to reason they can easily replace her. I wouldn’t be in favor of a recast, not because Gina is irreplaceable in the role, but because I think it’s just not necessary. Just create another badass female character for another( and hopefully much better) actress to play and leave it at that.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-12-2021 at 06:44 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-12-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    I detest Ben Shapiro. Not only is he a condescending twit but I get a clear cynical "an act for money by exploiting the gullible" vibe from him. I sincerely doubt he believes half of what he says but pretends he does because his audience expects it of him.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    This add fuel to my theory she was fired before her latest post and the plan was to write her out off the show in the next season so that there would be a smooth transition and little controversy,they had already changed plan with casting her in a spin off show. However,the company was forced to make a statement due to her latest actions.
    Last edited by ZuLuLu; 02-12-2021 at 12:08 PM.