Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: HEART OF DARKNESS TPB [NEW PRINTING]
    Volume #14 in the Daredevil Epic Collections
    Written by ANN NOCENTI, GERRY CONWAY, GREGORY WRIGHT, MIKE BARON, PETER DAVID & MORE
    Penciled by JOHN ROMITA JR., RICK LEONARDI, MARK BAGLEY, CAM KENNEDY, NEIL HANSEN, ANGEL MEDINA, RON LIM & MORE
    Cover by JOHN ROMITA JR.
    ON SALE FEBRUARY 2022
    All hell breaks loose! Things really get heated as Daredevil is caught between the diabolical Mephisto and his monstrous son, Blackheart! The Man Without Fear and his friends will be forced to face their demons like never before! Are they fated to burn for eternity in the fiery underworld, or can they find their way back home? And what role will the Silver Surfer play? As Atlantis Attacks, Daredevil must face…Spider-Man! And DD, the Surfer, the Punisher and the Hulk find themselves stalked by Lifeform! Meanwhile, Acts of Vengeance puts Daredevil well out of his weight class in a battle against Ultron! Good thing Karnak and Gorgon of the Inhumans are around to lend a hand (and cloven hoof)! Collecting DAREDEVIL (1964) #271-282 and ANNUAL #5-6 and material from PUNISHER ANNUAL #3, INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL #16 and SILVER SURFER ANNUAL #3.
    488 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93377-7
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16

Quote Originally Posted by Raffi Ol D'Arcy View Post
    FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: NOBODY GETS OUT ALIVE TPB
    Volume #23 in the Fantastic Four Epic Collections
    Written by TOM DEFALCO, PAUL RYAN, MIKE LACKEY, MARK GRUENWALD, LEN KAMINSKI & GLENN HERDLING
    Penciled by PAUL RYAN, MIKE GUSTOVICH & GEOF ISHERWOOD
    Cover by PAUL RYAN
    Four no more! One member of the FF is about to die — but will it be at the hands of Paibok the Power Skrull, Devos the Devastator or Doctor Doom?! The remaining “Fantastic Three” don't have long to grieve before they're whisked away to the Skrull Throneworld! If they can fight their way free, the trio may become a quartet again — with potential members including Lyja the Lazerfist, the teenage Franklin Richards and Ant-Man! As Malice strikes, the FF must aid Namor in a bizarre battle against alien foes. Then, the Watcher banishes the team to an alternate world where they relive their initial encounter with Galactus! What is the Watcher's endgame? Who is the mysterious Dark Raider? And is this the end of the FF?! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #377-392 and ANNUAL #27, NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER #47-48 and FANTASTIC FOUR ASHCAN EDITION.
    504 PGS./Rated T …$44.99
    ISBN: 978-1-302-93447-7
    Trim size: 6-5/8 x 10-3/16
    Really looking forward to this one, as well as the Avengers and Dazzler Masterworks. Marvel is putting out some great classic product. It's basically the only company still keeping me buying at this point. When they finish up these Epics and Masterworks to my needs I can retire to reading for the remainder of life So close to the end now...

Incredible Member

Going off those solicits, for the first time in a while I'll have zero collections purchases for Marvel in a given month.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lucky One View Post
    I’m just gonna say it — the expression on Conan’s face looks like even he can’t believe this ****.
    Lol, can't unsee that.

Incredible Member Graphic Autist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Is this the spin they are moving forward with from now on? Not a deal breaker for me, I just liked the aesthetic of having my shelf look uniform and Im a bit bummed about it. FF has this new style too
    I hate the new spine as well, but accept it. What I hate is how thin this omnibus is compared to all the others. Thin paper pisses me off more than the spine. I wish Marvel could get their various print houses to use the same paper across the board, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Graphic Autist View Post
    I hate the new spine as well, but accept it. What I hate is how thin this omnibus is compared to all the others. Thin paper pisses me off more than the spine. I wish Marvel could get their various print houses to use the same paper across the board, but that doesn’t seem to be happening.
    Mark Waid addressed this issue over on the MMW Forum. It doesn’t help the editions we are getting now but hopefully some day supply chains will stabilize.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/marv...es-t37349.html
    I brew the beer you drink. What's your super power?

Secret Wars II Apologist DantonR's Avatar

Well, this whole spine/paper thickness thing was the last straw I needed to quit purchasing omnibus volumes. After the Hickman X-Men, I am pretty much done.

I've been collecting them since 2012, and over time I have come to realize that they really aren't worth the money when you consider...
    -book make quality: several of my omnis have page blocks that are now separating from the spine. The Morrison New X-Men is a good example: heavy paper block (b/c it was made w/ thicker paper) has gradually fallen apart. And I treat my books very very well.
    -price point: This most recent ASM Omni retails for 150.00 in Canada. Now, even w/ an Amazon discount, the book shipped at 125.00. It's just getting too expensive when you consider the above.

From now on I am going to focus on OHCs (a much better buy when you consider how well the books hold up and how much easier they are to read) and deluxe TPBs (like Epics and Complete Collections).

I know that the idea of omnis are cool: a big fat collection that contains several issues in one place (in some cases a complete run), but the reality is much different when compared to the idea. And I guess I'm just done w/ being taken for a product that is not worth the price.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DantonR View Post
    Well, this whole spine/paper thickness thing was the last straw I needed to quit purchasing omnibus volumes. After the Hickman X-Men, I am pretty much done.

I've been collecting them since 2012, and over time I have come to realize that they really aren't worth the money when you consider...
    -book make quality: several of my omnis have page blocks that are now separating from the spine. The Morrison New X-Men is a good example: heavy paper block (b/c it was made w/ thicker paper) has gradually fallen apart. And I treat my books very very well.
    -price point: This most recent ASM Omni retails for 150.00 in Canada. Now, even w/ an Amazon discount, the book shipped at 125.00. It's just getting too expensive when you consider the above.

From now on I am going to focus on OHCs (a much better buy when you consider how well the books hold up and how much easier they are to read) and deluxe TPBs (like Epics and Complete Collections).

I know that the idea of omnis are cool: a big fat collection that contains several issues in one place (in some cases a complete run), but the reality is much different when compared to the idea. And I guess I'm just done w/ being taken for a product that is not worth the price.
    And, can you tell if Conan the original Marvel Years Omni is in better shape? I am thinking about getting those, because they are not recolored like the Epic collections.

Totally agree with all of this.

Took me a bit of trying the different formats but Im done with omnis north of 1000 or even 900 pages. Just not ideal to read comfortably. As you said - some omnis are prone to fall apart just from sheer gravity on the book block. The only way to combat this is to put a buffer cardboard piece or something under the block which is annoying. Just not worth the $$$.

Im also done with these ridiculous sized 1000+ page compendiums. A huge hassle for storage and again, not ideal for reading.

The best collection format is Deluxe Hardcovers. Oversized pages, but not a bulky, heavy book. Epic collections are fantastic too.
    Currently Reading:
    Milligan's Shade the Changing Man, Vertigo Hellblazer trades, Love and Rockets TPBs, Stray Bullets TPBs, Ellis' The Wildstorm

Was holding hope for Captain America Epic #11, which would start with issue #286 (below), and finish out Mike Zeck's run on the book (which I loved) in the epic format...

Make Mine Marvel (Mostly) j0nnyboy's Avatar

I need to get the reprint of the Aaron Star Wars omni, right?

(someone please enable me lol)

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

Right!

Astonishing Member

I got an email from Amazon stating that the New Mutants Omnibus Volume 2 is being pushed back to January 2022.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by j0nnyboy View Post

Oh hell yeah. But even moreso, you must get the Gillen Darth Vader reprint too. I'm not even a big SW fan but damn did I like that (along with the Dr. Aphra omni).

Spectacular Member

Omnis are essentially cheap quantity over quality publications. I don't get how they became seen to be this premium format- its strange to me to see people bang on about oversized when the panels are no bigger than Masterworks editions. Most are unwieldy and not fun to read, they are easily damaged because of the weight as well. I think some of the second hand market prices in the past have pushed people to think its a premium format, but I'm only really getting new ones when there is no paperback edition or I don't really know if I'm going to like the material. I'm even preferring Epics for a lot of the runs I like.