Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    why so ? He seems invested
    WB doesn't have a good track record. It's like 50-50 or worse. I'm happy DC is acknowledging Dick's existence; but there's a chance they ruin him. God knows they tried before.

why so ? He seems invested
    “Recognizable star, Romani or badass martial artist” hardly something that should be considered as “the most important qualities” in casting Nightwing. And it’s strange to ask about it fans (especially on Twitter). Majority usually bad advisers.

Starting to read through Nightwing Rebirth, beginning with Nightwing #21. (I read the first several issues when they came out.)

It was a good issue, with Nightwing teaming up with Wally and having a guy's night out interrupted by a wannabe criminal.
    Always Forward. Forward Always.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    WB doesn't have a good track record. It's like 50-50 or worse. I'm happy DC is acknowledging Dick's existence; but there's a chance they ruin him. God knows they tried before.
    The lego batman movie was like on point behind Wonder Woman
    it was a pretty good film

I doubt Dick's Romani heritage will actually play a factor in the casting or story but I guess it's interesting that McKay is aware of it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I doubt Dick's Romani heritage will actually play a factor in the casting or story but I guess it's interesting that McKay is aware of it.
    He is half romani and white passing so the anger in the comments is weird i feel bad for mckay

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    “Recognizable star, Romani or badass martial artist” hardly something that should be considered as “the most important qualities” in casting Nightwing. And it’s strange to ask about it fans (especially on Twitter). Majority usually bad advisers.
    wat

I don't know about recognizable star, but being Romani and knowing martial arts are incredibly important qualities, especially the latter. I don't want Nightwing if all we're getting is **** like Nolan and Bale's Batman. That looked disgusting then, and it'll look even worse now as Dick is supposed to be the acrobatic hero.

Ultimately, we need an actor who can sell Dick's emotions and charm, and can make the action scenes look good. Being Romani would just be a great addition to his character and would help push Dick as a progressive hero, so I don't see why it shouldn't be important (even if it isn't necessary).

And we also have posters in this very thread who want the actor to be recognizable so that we can get a few more attached names to the movie, and one they could realistically sell the movie using.

So I really don't see how any of this shows McKay is making a mistake or something. I mean, he said so himself on Twitter: he could do this all by himself, but he wanted to interact with fans to make sure his Nightwing was the same Nightwing the fans want.

Him being Romani is not important. It really shouldn't even be considered until after everything else has been dealt with, imo. Until Rebirth there was basically one story about him being Romani and it was not good. I don't get why people want to act like him being Romani is suddenly this important part of the character when it has been absent or irrelevant for nearly all of the character's 75+ years of existence. I don't mind the Romani thing but Dick would still be exactly the same if it never existed and that is key.

Obviously the most important thing is you need someone that can act and looks like the character. This person also being a known actor is a big plus because he can help sell the movie as I don't think Nightwing or McKay are big enough names to sell it alone. Nightwing isn't like a Wonder Woman where you can cast a somewhat unknown and the property carries the movie regardless of who the lead is. Then things like being athletic and being able to do some stunts themselves is important. Martial arts experience is optional imo as you have stunt people to do more complicated things as shown in Deadpool and Captain America. These are the things that are important.

Dick's Romani heritage is in no way number one priority for the character. Most of the people voting for it and even part of the fanbase that emphasizes his Romani roots don't seem to understand how brief he was Romani in canon. Devin Grayson is the writer responsible for this retcon, who was culturally ignorant and has stereotyped the culture and the fandom needs to stop praising her for it seriously the tumblr and twitter community has taken Dick’s ethnic background severely out of context. He isn't even full Romani and it had no impact on his stories. I do think Dick being part Romani is interesting so don't minsunderstand me but the only writer who ever did something interesting with his Romani roots was Seeley. Do these people even realise that they are pushing a stereotype themselves? Many of the traveling circuses recruits were called "gypsies", which is a slur for Romani. I don't see how reinforcing stereotypes will help the perception of the Romani people. Also I don't understand why people are upset about casting a white actor because Romanians are caucasians, the only thing that matters is the culture but again it has no impact on Dick's character and even if DC's decides to include his part Romani roots in the movie it would be only in the introduction when he lost his parents because otherwise it's not important.

Anyway I personally don't care who they cast as long as the actor understands Dick's characters and his charm. I also think the actor should be able to do most of the stunts on his own or at least part of it because I usually notice the stunt double in movies and it's really annoying. However the last part is rather a personal problem of mine I know most people can't tell the difference between the actor and his stunt double in movies.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ayanestar View Post
    Many of the traveling circuses recruits were called "gypsies", which is a slur for Romani.
    Even Devin Grayson called him that.

Spectacular Member

I would think instead of martial arts background an acrobatic background would be better (gymnast or something). There is a loopiness to Dick's martial arts it seems sometimes that relates back to the acrobatic tendencies, and it would be cool if the fights or his other movements on screen can show that kind of prior training.

Extraordinary Member

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Dick's Romani heritage is in no way number one priority for the character. Most of the people voting for it and even part of the fanbase that emphasizes his Romani roots don't seem to understand how brief he was Romani in canon. Devin Grayson is the writer responsible for this retcon, who was culturally ignorant and has stereotyped the culture and the fandom needs to stop praising her for it seriously the tumblr and twitter community has taken Dick’s ethnic background severely out of context. He isn't even full Romani and it had no impact on his stories. I do think Dick being part Romani is interesting so don't minsunderstand me but the only writer who ever did something interesting with his Romani roots was Seeley. Do these people even realise that they are pushing a stereotype themselves? Many of the traveling circuses recruits were called "gypsies", which is a slur for Romani. I don't see how reinforcing stereotypes will help the perception of the Romani people. Also I don't understand why people are upset about casting a white actor because Romanians are caucasians, the only thing that matters is the culture but again it has no impact on Dick's character and even if DC's decides to include his part Romani roots in the movie it would be only in the introduction when he lost his parents because otherwise it's not important.

Anyway I personally don't care who they cast as long as the actor understands Dick's characters and his charm. I also think the actor should be able to do most of the stunts on his own or at least part of it because I usually notice the stunt double in movies and it's really annoying. However the last part is rather a personal problem of mine I know most people can't tell the difference between the actor and his stunt double in movies.
    I agree with all of this.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

The most famous Romanian chracter is anastasia the gypsie from huntchback of notre damne and she is dark skinned and that is the extent of their knowledge on Romanians

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The most famous Romanian chracter is anastasia the gypsie from huntchback of notre damne and she is dark skinned and that is the extent of their knowledge on Romanians
    The first one I recall seeing in a movie was Ilonka (Elena Verdugo) in House of Frankenstein back in '71 when I was five.

Yeah, she was a stereotype, but boy was she cute!
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?