Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    It doesn't change much for Dick (and again, when all you have are super white writers, why would it?)
    We're talking about it because McKay put it in that twitter poll. /shrug.

And this is off-topic now, but the Iron Fist thing:
    Yeah, this isn't the place, so I'll just say this: I'm not trying to look like I have the moral high ground. I don't pretend to have a deep, nuanced understanding of the very complex issue of cultural appropriation, largely because I don't care much about my own ancestral culture so I have no frame of reference. But....Danny Rand? The best, most interesting thing about Danny is that he's best friends with the excellent Luke Cage.

But I still find the "make him Asian" thing to feel a little racist. I mean, that covers a really big patch of ground, cultures, histories, traditions.....it's like lumping every Native American tribe into one big group with no thought put into the vast differences between them. The Navajo and the Passamaquoddy are nothing alike for example, and you'd be insulting one to call them the other. Likewise the Monguls and the Koreans and the Chinese Qing were all "Asian" but completely different peoples. So saying you want an "Asian" guy to play Iron Fist just because "kung fu" (which was invented by an Buddhist Indian, btw) is pretty f**king ignorant really, without narrowing it down to someone who could pass for being from the actual area in question. Where was Kun'lun supposed to be, Northern China? Then don't ask for an "Asian" guy, ask for someone from Northern China. If all you want (not you you, just a general "you") is an "Asian" guy because "martial arts" you're not being enlightened, you're enforcing racial stereotypes. Whether that's worse than the cultural appropriation, I don't know.

I think Asians have a problem with a white guy with no martial arts background portraying a martial arts master, and after seeing how it turned out, I can see why, lol.
    Dude, *everyone* should have a problem with the way it turned out.

But a big budget movie about the most acrobatic martial artist this side of Spider-Man should definitely achieve a higher degree of quality than Iron Fist managed. Hell, you can't get away with being in a superhero movie without six-eight months of intense physical training. Hugh Jackman in his first tour as Wolverine would be laughed off the set today.
    Last edited by Ascended; 02-11-2018 at 10:22 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    And I think the director should care about other things instead of some minor retcon that in no way defines the character he is trying to bring to the big screen. I just don't get why people think that him being Romani is the #1 most important thing about who should play the character over anything else. I mean Mary has only been shown to be Romani for a year and a half as before it was Dick's dad that was Romani. That could no longer be the case because of the William Cobb story.

Also I don't think I've said anything harmful. People acting like Dick being Romani is some integral part of his character just isn't true. He isn't a person of color and treating him as such I think is disrespectful to actual people of color.

Edit: Now I'm not saying he shouldn't be played by someone who is part Romani if they are the best actor for the part, but I don't think that should be a priority in the casting. I mean they cast an Israeli actress in Gadot to play a Greek Amazon character in Wonder Woman. They didn't get a Greek actress to play her and instead got someone who they thought would be best for the role. That is what should take priority.
    Agreed, I'm always amazed by Tumblr's ability to bring up irrelevant facts and pretend they're important because they push the SJW agenda.
    Devin Grayson's standing among Nightwing fans is poor.
    Her story introduced the Romani and it was both terrible and forgettable in addition to being ignorant at best and racist itself at worst.
    Give that story to an actual Romani and see how they feel about that crap.

BANNED

Dick was the cutest little kid ever.

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Dick was the cutest little kid ever.
    ikr

Dick and Dami
    credit:logo
    Last edited by nightbird; 02-12-2018 at 02:07 AM.

So, due to this tweet, some people speculating that a villain in Nightwing’s movie could be Penguin played by Josh Gad.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson - The Dark Heir View Post
    See... we have British and New Zealanders playing American characters. But on the other hand, I don't think we really should have a direct say on that unless we were Romani?
    Okay, but as an Irish-Italian American, that would mean mean I should have a direct say over roles of similar ancestry, while those of different ethnic compositions shouldn't. Personally, as long as the actor on screen is good and believable, then I'm satisfied. If the producers can find someone with the proper ancestry, great, but it's not really necessary for Dick Grayson, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post

So, due to this tweet, some people speculating that a villain in Nightwing’s movie could be Penguin played by Josh Gad.
    The Penguin could work well in a comedy action Nightwing film. I would also like an orphaned circus boy to be cast. Makes it more immersive.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Okay, but as an Irish-Italian American, that would mean mean I should have a direct say over roles of similar ancestry, while those of different ethnic compositions shouldn't. Personally, as long as the actor on screen is good and believable, then I'm satisfied. If the producers can find someone with the proper ancestry, great, but it's not really necessary for Dick Grayson, IMO.
    Imagine a world were you could only portray characters of your exact lineage and race......... this like the people upset because the actress playing Jasmine is mixed
    Imagine if you were gay and you could only portray get characters. This whole campaign is nonsense, I waiting for the day someone say to kid in school you can't play this role because your black and the character is white and it defended by colorwashsing....

Quote Originally Posted by yohyoi View Post
    The Penguin could work well in a comedy action Nightwing film. I would also like an orphaned circus boy to be cast. Makes it more immersive.
    They were funny in Arkham Knight DCL, but, imo, I don’t think Penguin is a good villain for Nightwing. So I hope it stays just as speculation or at least they make him secondary villain.

Nightwing vs Red Hood
    full version-> https://jjmk-jjmk.tumblr.com/post/17...le-3-nightwing

Quote Originally Posted by nightbird View Post
    I think Gad is campaigning for the role....but I don't think that means Penguin is actually in the movie, just that Gad wants him to be, and wants the role.

Personally, I'm hoping for Professor Pyg.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think Gad is campaigning for the role....but I don't think that means Penguin is actually in the movie, just that Gad wants him to be, and wants the role.

Personally, I'm hoping for Professor Pyg.
    I could honestly get behind Gad for professor pyg, complete with a super creepy musical number.

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    I could honestly get behind Gad for professor pyg, complete with a super creepy musical number.
    That would be amazing.

Dick has a rogues gallery of his own to draw from. And yes, none of them are nearly as well known as Bruce's villains but that shouldn't be too big a problem to overcome. Its definitely been proven that comic book success isn't necessary for movie success.

And we've already seen an incredible Penguin from Danny DeVito. Yeah, that was a long time ago, but there's such a huge roster of Gotham-Bludhaven villains to pick from, why go with one we've already seen?

Gad as Professor Pyg could be what Nightwing needs to get some interest in developing his rogues gallery as well, if the right people could be made to notice the potential there.

~ Black Panther.