Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Like I said, that's context. And he was made to write someone else's ideas in Rebirth too. Lois and Clark being together was Jurgens and Johns' idea. Lois and Clark having a son was also Jurgens and Johns' idea. Did you know he wasn't even originally supposed to be on Super Sons? That was supposed to be Dennis Culver apparently.

But the point is, something clicked with Tomasi when he wrote Superman in the context of Rebirth that simply didn't with the New 52. There's nothing to say the same isn't possible for Bendis. That's my point.

That doesn't really distract from my point. His skill or lack-there-of will be proven regardless of control. Pak seemed to have relatively little control of his run past a few issues, yet he's a Superman creator that's held in relatively high regard for what good he did do. My point is writing plus context can change up a product.

Largely irrelevant given the multiple shifts in context. Till something in this new context ie DC is shown, we can't really accurately do more than aimlessly speculate at the very best.

Does Bendis deserve the benefit of the doubt? Yes, I don't see why not. In such a foreign context I'd have to be Bendis himself to have any authority in saying how well or poor he'd do here. Saying simply because his Iron Man wasn't received well, he shouldn't get to do Superman is actually stranger than saying since Tomasi's Superman/Wonder Woman was mediocre at best, he shouldn't get Superman. At the very least one could argue that Tomasi was in the context of the DCU and writing Superman no less, so we have an idea of what his Superman would be like. Bendis hasn't even work at DC let alone Superman, so it's a little sillier to say I'd know how good or bad his run would be.

As I said before, your trepidation is fine, it's everything surrounding it that I fail to grasp.
    The difference is that he was given power over those ideas. If he didn't come up with them he certainly was allowed to execute them the way he wanted. He never had such luxury with SM/WW.

Circumstances drastically changed for Tomasi, Bendis taking over Superman on the other hand is no different whatsoever from him taking over Iron Man. Circumstances would have been different for Bendis if he was given a third book set in the past or another continuity. Right now I see no change in his mo.

Pak is only held up by a small group of New 52 fans.

True indeed but based on BMB's track record speculation has every right to be negative.

Again I'm not seeing this Tomasi comparison:

Tomasi didn't get to write both Superman and Action.
    Tomasi didn't get full control over Supergirl.
    Tomasi didn't have absolute control over the franchise.

The quality of Bendis's work isn't the problem. I'm not knocking on Bendis because he wrote garbage and therefore must always produce garbage . The issue here is that if I dont like his work I'll simply drop it. The problem is that I wont just be dropping Bendis, I'll be saying good bye to the entire franchise.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever View Post
    Action was going heading towards falling below 40k before Reborn hit and it's how riding on the issue #1000 hype. Superman wasn't as close to falling below 40k but it was recently helped by the Super Sons crossover. Both books are also helped by coming out bi-weekly.

Super Sons was also helped by the crossover with Superman and Teen Titans. Supergirl was kept afloat by the recent variant covers which increased sales by 1000s.

The Super books have been on borrowed time since Reborn. If sales crash under Bendis, it would mean he took them where they were heading under the current teams.
    Ahem, you wrote this right. Plz read the last paragraph of your own post.

You've effectively stated that the books are crashing
    That they're crashing because of certain practices(which you've repeatedly failed to point out).
    And that crash is the logical outcome with or without Bendis. So basically if Bendis fails then its because of others and if he succeeds its because of himself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Barbatos666 View Post
    And that crash is the logical outcome with or without Bendis. So basically if Bendis fails then its because of others and if he succeeds its because of himself.
    No, if Bendis fails it'll be on him.

Under the current writers the books are heading towards a sales crash. So keeping them on instead of Bendis taking over wouldn't prevent a sales crash.

Look at it this way. A car is heading towards a cliff, someone stops the car and replaces the driver but that driver also heads towards the cliff. The problem wasn't that they replaced the driver, because that driver ended up taking the car the same place the previous driver did, but who they replaced the first driver with.

The first driver isn't at fault for the second driver's actions, but if the aim was to prevent the car from going off the cliff, leaving the car with the first driver wasn't a solution.
    Last edited by Dolores - The Worst Poster Ever; 02-26-2018 at 04:17 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    Both these books are officially cancelled, while I was never a fan of Super Sons I did buy Super Girl for a time. It seems that Superman world is shrinking to just the 2 main books and minis.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02...young-justice/
    The only time I really liked Supergirl was when she crossed over into Drox's Legion of Superhereos. That was one of the cooler story arcs DC had put together.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Ray View Post
    Any minute now... any minute now... any minute now... any minute now...

Are the other books that perform worse than the Superman line going to crash, too? Captain America, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, ...
    Well, let's face it, Captain Marvel has crashed so hard, so many times that it's a wonder they keep patching it up and putting it back on the road....

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The quality of Bendis's work isn't the problem. I'm not knocking on Bendis because he wrote garbage and therefore must always produce garbage . The issue here is that if I dont like his work I'll simply drop it. The problem is that I wont just be dropping Bendis, I'll be saying good bye to the entire franchise.
    Exactly. Also, if for some reason things crash and burn it'll be the entire line that collapses since Bendis is on BOTH flagship Superman titles and not just one book within the line. I'm sorry guys but Bendis just doesn't have a good or even decent track record recently so I think some of us have valid concerns. Now its possible that he will do right by the character and usher in a new golden age for the Superman comic franchise. If that should happen I'll be more than willing to say I was wrong in this if he can manage a consistent level of sales over six months, can tell stellar or at least decent stories over that time and manages to get and keep sales well over the current books numbers monthly but for now I believe this to be a huge misstep on DCs part.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Fantastic Member TruthAndJustice's Avatar

Folks, just about every comic currently being published that isn't METAL or DOOMSDAY CLOCK or (I'm guessing) Marvel's STAR WARS books is heading towards a sales crash.

The industry is in terrible, terrible shape. Notice the seven(!!) Marvel revamps over the last five years?

Who knows, maybe Bendis will write the best stories of his life one the Superman titles. But the idea of starting SUPERMAN over with yet another #1 -- it's yet another stunt that won't stop the bleeding (much like the New 52 -- for god's sake, no more reboots, ever, if old stories are "in the way" just ignore them and move on).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by TruthAndJustice View Post
    Folks, just about every comic currently being published that isn't METAL or DOOMSDAY CLOCK or (I'm guessing) Marvel's STAR WARS books is heading towards a sales crash.

The industry is in terrible, terrible shape. Notice the seven(!!) Marvel revamps over the last five years?

Who knows, maybe Bendis will write the best stories of his life one the Superman titles. But the idea of starting SUPERMAN over with yet another #1 -- it's yet another stunt that won't stop the bleeding (much like the New 52 -- for god's sake, no more reboots, ever, if old stories are "in the way" just ignore them and move on).
    Considering his work on Ultimate Spiderman, Daredevil, and Alias it would be one of, if not the best story in any comic in the 21st century if he managed that.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

The difference is that he was given power over those ideas. If he didn't come up with them he certainly was allowed to execute them the way he wanted. He never had such luxury with SM/WW.

Circumstances drastically changed for Tomasi, Bendis taking over Superman on the other hand is no different whatsoever from him taking over Iron Man. Circumstances would have been different for Bendis if he was given a third book set in the past or another continuity. Right now I see no change in his mo.

Pak is only held up by a small group of New 52 fans.

True indeed but based on BMB's track record speculation has every right to be negative.

Again I'm not seeing this Tomasi comparison:

Tomasi didn't get to write both Superman and Action.
    Tomasi didn't get full control over Supergirl.
    Tomasi didn't have absolute control over the franchise.
    That's cool. You don't agree with the comparison. Maybe someone other posters will vibe with what I'm saying, maybe no one will. Hell, maybe my comparison doesn't actually work as well as I think it does? Regardless, my main point is maybe a change in scenery will make a world of difference in his writing? We'll all just have to wait and see how good or bad he does on this project.

This is understandable, but also very much par for the course in comics. Sometimes you just don't like anything being put out regarding a character, and you might have to drop the line or at least everything dealing with that character. People did it during the New 52 because they didn't like the new context the IP was put in. People did it during Rebirth because they liked the New 52. I did it later on in Rebirth because neither Jurgens or Tomasi on Superman and Action were my thing after a while. Not having Super Sons and Supergirl to fall back on is hard, but it's also obviously temporary given multiple comments from multiple people.

But, yeah, you kinda just have to hope you'll enjoy what's coming up. I figure that becomes a lot harder if you make your mind up about a run before even one word is show to you.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-27-2018 at 09:48 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

According to Bendis he was basically offered whatever book he wanted and chose Superman so it’s no wonder he has so much power over the line, like him or not he has been one of the top writers at marvel for more than decade I can only imagine what was promised to him in order for him move to DC. I hope he’s able to bring in the numbers to justify Supergirl being cancelled. I for one don’t intend to switch to buying Superman or Action Comics for the occasional appearance.

Supersons would have probably benefited from a time jump. I think writing a book about kids is going to have a limited audience. I bought it for the art, and the stories weren't too bad, but ultimately it was hard to keep my interest just due to the age of the characters. Fast forward to their teen years and theres a lot of story possibilities.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jyamen View Post
    Supersons would have probably benefited from a time jump. I think writing a book about kids is going to have a limited audience. I bought it for the art, and the stories weren't too bad, but ultimately it was hard to keep my interest just due to the age of the characters. Fast forward to their teen years and theres a lot of story possibilities.
    So in short...what Renew Your Vows did over at Marvel.

BANNED

Can't comics be written for, you know, children?

And seeing how Super-Sons was doing well, I see no reason to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Considering his work on Ultimate Spiderman, Daredevil, and Alias it would be one of, if not the best story in any comic in the 21st century if he managed that.
    Your examples are a decade old. and I don't even know why alias is mentioned. This book was literally just a gift given to him.

Extraordinary Member

not at all they had potential for a lot of things, dc could basiclt franchise them the way Cartoonetwork did BEN10