Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I'd say the story and the comparative competence of its execution thus far gives it fans. Particularly for the Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain fans.

And the writing hasn't been bad. Maybe in comparison to Grayson or the main Batman book. But compared to, say Teen Titans, it's much better written overall, and in comparison to say, Red Hood and Arsenal, it's got more ambition.
    Isn't that called setting the bar low though. Ur saying it gets fans because there's a duff or nothing else at all when it comes to Tim, Steph, and Cass. Not that im saying this has been bad, but im not sure that because there's nothing else better is the best kind of merit, or even truly a merit at all.
    Though i get it. I get liking something because its the best thing u got available, or the best thing u have even seen in a while. I don't know if ur familiar with Tomasi's run on Nightwing, which was not bad IMO, but i do think gets a little more credt than it deserves just because it was the first thing that wasn't bad that came along with Nightwing in quite a while. And i think even its part of why Higgins run didn't get very much leeway, because that run was coming off of Dick's Batman's run which had such good runs with Morrison and Snyder. Not that Higgins run was anything more than not bad either.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-01-2015 at 11:47 PM.

Extraordinary Member

It's a subjective opinion of whether or not it's setting the bar high or low; I don't really read enough comics to immediately tell, and it's just as much an opinion of a reader as to whether being worse than Snyder's Batman or the Grayson book is a sign you've got an okay to poor book or a good book, since those two can be described as good or great depending on the reader. Similarly, while Teen Titans' quality has never been high in the New 52, there is a plethora of vocal Red Hood and Arsenal fans and that book does seem to have a higher quality of output to them. I mean, I'd love to throw any of Scott Lobdell's work under the bus, but he's apparently handled that book and those characters better than anything else.

I do think that the discussion online over this series speak in its favor, since even the criticism hasn't really reached the levels of several contemporary competitors or its predecessor, Batman Eternal, in the twilight of it's run. Batman fans are still largely spoiled when it comes to quality of writing. There's been a consensus that Seeley's two scripts read better, while Tynion and Orlando's entries don't "sing" as well, but we've also found mostly nitpicking/execution argument to debate. Thus far, we all seem interested in the actual plot, especially since it didn't immediately go the way some of us feared it would, and we all, critics and fans, seem to acknowledge the limitations and advantages of a weekly. It would be too hasty to call this a classic, and it would be too hasty to call this a dud; and most commentators know that.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Incredible Member

I enjoyed this preview alot, hopefully the story will pick up the pace again with this issue, so far the issues were very good - very good - good - meh - so issue 5 better be very good, again.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    It's a subjective opinion of whether or not it's setting the bar high or low; I don't really read enough comics to immediately tell, and it's just as much an opinion of a reader as to whether being worse than Snyder's Batman or the Grayson book is a sign you've got an okay to poor book or a good book, since those two can be described as good or great depending on the reader. Similarly, while Teen Titans' quality has never been high in the New 52, there is a plethora of vocal Red Hood and Arsenal fans and that book does seem to have a higher quality of output to them. I mean, I'd love to throw any of Scott Lobdell's work under the bus, but he's apparently handled that book and those characters better than anything else.

I do think that the discussion online over this series speak in its favor, since even the criticism hasn't really reached the levels of several contemporary competitors or its predecessor, Batman Eternal, in the twilight of it's run. Batman fans are still largely spoiled when it comes to quality of writing. There's been a consensus that Seeley's two scripts read better, while Tynion and Orlando's entries don't "sing" as well, but we've also found mostly nitpicking/execution argument to debate. Thus far, we all seem interested in the actual plot, especially since it didn't immediately go the way some of us feared it would, and we all, critics and fans, seem to acknowledge the limitations and advantages of a weekly. It would be too hasty to call this a classic, and it would be too hasty to call this a dud; and most commentators know that.
    Yup, pretty much anything that lacks strong evidence or proof, its subjective, but this series are among the best things that DC is putting out right now, in my most honest opinion the only books bat-family-related that don't flat-out-suck right now, are Batman, Grayson, RSOB and this weekly...so there isn't much to choose anyway...besides this is being way better than Last Eternal so far, even issue 4 which was agreed by the majority has being the weakest so far, was in the same range as the last Eternal's average issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Isn't that called setting the bar low though. Ur saying it gets fans because there's a duff or nothing else at all when it comes to Tim, Steph, and Cass. Not that im saying this has been bad, but im not sure that because there's nothing else better is the best kind of merit, or even truly a merit at all.
    Though i get it. I get liking something because its the best thing u got available, or the best thing u have even seen in a while. I don't know if ur familiar with Tomasi's run on Nightwing, which was not bad IMO, but i do think gets a little more credt than it deserves just because it was the first thing that wasn't bad that came along with Nightwing in quite a while. And i think even its part of why Higgins run didn't get very much leeway, because that run was coming off of Dick's Batman's run which had such good runs with Morrison and Snyder. Not that Higgins run was anything more than not bad either.
    Well it was good and it was willing to feature the various supers that Dick was friends with where Dixon was ignoring that part of his character. Less tension between Dick and Bruce in his take as well. And the museam curator thing was promising too. He definitely had the best take on Dick's character but we'll never know if he'd have backed it up with actually good plots.

Incredible Member

Hopefully, we will get to know more about Batman's conections to Cass and the Mother, really looking foward to that.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat_girl_cc View Post
    Hopefully, we will get to know more about Batman's conections to Cass and the Mother, really looking foward to that.
    Oh, I'm certain we will. The real question is "When?", and the only real answer to that would be "When they're ready.".

At the mo' they seem to be spotlighting Tim this issue, which may or may not extend to the next as well.

Cass's connection to Batman would, I figure, come closer to the exact time that they wish to completely un-shadow this "Mother" character, since I reckon Cass and Mother are a lot more intricately connected for them to do otherwise.

This issue was good enjoyed it much more than last week. I feel like they missed a few pages this week, it was too short. I do feel like they're trying to force cass' origins that scene felt a little forced and how old is she anyway, does she not age?

Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Honestly I lost all interest on this series already but I checked this issue out of curiosity about if they would change Tim's N52 origin, spoilers:
    they didn't
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    This issue was good enjoyed it much more than last week. I feel like they missed a few pages this week, it was too short. I do feel like they're trying to force cass' origins that scene felt a little forced and how old is she anyway, does she not age?
    pre flashpoint she was around Jasons age, and roughly 2 years older than Tim. If they keep it like this she is probably something between 18 and 20 now.

Okay issue, but this is my first time following a weekly and honestly they are juggling too many characters to tell a cohesive story. This would have been better if it was released in 4 different trade paperbacks and probable would give artists time to polish things up. I am also tired of the What Would Bruce Do nonsense and bat fam characters getting mad that Dick Grayson would not make the same decision. Dick knew and was far closer to Bruce than any of them and has always been the one who fits his ideals more than the others so I don't know why Tim is surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    pre flashpoint she was around Jasons age, and roughly 2 years older than Tim. If they keep it like this she is probably something between 18 and 20 now.
    She looks about 13, but she also looks the exact same age and size during the flashback which was supposed to be several years ago.

I'm actually warming up to Dick, he seems more like a genuine leader this issue, making tough decisions even if means potentially alienating allies.

Extraordinary Member

She looks about 13, but she also looks the exact same age and size during the flashback which was supposed to be several years ago.
    Some people look like 13 when they are in there early 20s...

Incredible Member

Seeley said that she was meant to be 12/13, but now I have no idea if he meant now or then and the book isn't making it easy to tell. Maybe she's had a pint of whatever Shiva's on.

Quote Originally Posted by HellHere View Post
    Seeley said that she was meant to be 12/13, but now I have no idea if he meant now or then and the book isn't making it easy to tell. Maybe she's had a pint of whatever Shiva's on.
    Maybe it's genetic.