Page 486 of 744 FirstFirst ... 386436476482483484485486487488489490496536586 ... LastLast
Results 7,276 to 7,290 of 11160

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    they interacted a lot like siblings to me this issue. it was actually very sweet.
    The scene was nowhere near as fun as the movie scene, but they definately showed some affection there with the hug.

That scene probably shows more of a connection between the two than a good 90% of the previous showings we've seen in the previous comics.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I think that's how a lot of Wakandans talk. Shuri and a lot of the villains don't fall into that category most of the time, but I think the averge Wakandan does come off on the stiff proper side (or at least the ones usually around T'Challa).
    During Priest's run I'm pretty sure it was mostly T'Challa that spoke like a stiff, even though you could say W'Kabi and Ramonda also did. But in spite of that you could discern between T'Challa's voice and someone else. And even in spite of that, the characters used in that run had varying personalities and you could feel it. Zuri was loud and boisterous. T'Challa was reserved and quiet. Ross was sarcastic and awkward. M'Baku was always angry. Monica was sassy.

During Hudlin's run T'Challa was written to have a lot more wit, and you could read the stubbornness in Shuri's voice. Storm had a confidence to her and N'Jadaka was arrogant. Not to mention characters like Luke Cage and Blade when they appeared. Or Doom or Namor. Each character had a clear personality.

With Coates, because he himself is a literary writer he inserts that into every character and it shows. They all speak like poets, using fancy and very formal language. It's almost not conversational in tone and it doesn't make for a good read.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    they interacted a lot like siblings to me this issue. it was actually very sweet.
    The interaction is fine I guess. It's just the way the dialogue is written. I'm not saying this Shuri suddenly needs to be Letitia Wright. I just need her to talk like the Shuri she actually is, and not like Coates himself. It looks good but there's hardly any emotion or expression in it. Doesn't help that I find the art a bit bland, lacking emotions and expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    With Coates, because he himself is a literary writer he inserts that into every character and it shows. They all speak like poets, using fancy and very formal language. It's almost not conversational in tone and it doesn't make for a good read.
    Only way Coates know how ot set the tone is by what drink is present at the time lol

wine = casual!

tea = formal!
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Anyone have a theory as to why Nakia thought it would be uncomfortable for her to go to Earth?

I guess Tchalla was hitting it pretty regularly and she didn't want to be seen as "the other women".

Only other theroy I have is she looks exactly like regular Nakia which would be extremely hack writing. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cville View Post
    Anyone have a theory as to why Nakia thought it would be uncomfortable for her to go to Earth?

I guess Tchalla was hitting it pretty regularly and she didn't want to be seen as "the other women".

Only other theroy I have is she looks exactly like regular Nakia which would be extremely hack writing. lol.
    My head canon is that she didn't want to be anywhere around Storm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    My head canon is that she didn't want to be anywhere around Storm
    A perfect follow up with Nakia would be if she turns out to be pregnant. lol

A perfect follow up with Nakia would be if she turns out to be pregnant. lol

Incredible Member GuiltyPleasure's Avatar

Wait, you're saying that Coates wrote that T'Challa had a sexual relationship with Nakia while he was away? If he did, that's pretty messed up.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, though it's from season 1:

"We began in hunger--hunger for our own freedom. Then that freedom hungered for the freedom of others. Then that greater freedom hungered for a home."

Who the hell talks like this in a conversation? This is the kind of stuff you see in poetry or in a novel narration, not a conversation. And I wouldn't have so much of a problem if EVERYONE didn't talk like that. Wakandans are warriors, not poets and philosophers.

Everybody in Coates book sounds like they're reading a short story they wrote for a literature workshop. Even in this issue Storm uses "for" instead of because, which is more formal and proper. I get Storm thinks of herself as a goddess but even she doesn't talk like that.

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltyPleasure View Post
    Wait, you're saying that Coates wrote that T'Challa had a sexual relationship with Nakia while he was away? If he did, that's pretty messed up.
    Well for one, it wouldn't be messed up. It was 5 years and storm was nothing but a dream/vision.

For two, there is something between them but the memory of Storm was holding him back. It seems to me anyway

"We began in hunger--hunger for our own freedom. Then that freedom hungered for the freedom of others. Then that greater freedom hungered for a home."

Who the hell talks like this in a conversation? This is the kind of stuff you see in poetry or in a novel narration, not a conversation. And I wouldn't have so much of a problem if EVERYONE didn't talk like that. Wakandans are warriors, not poets and philosophers.

Everybody in Coates book sounds like they're reading a short story they wrote for a literature workshop. Even in this issue Storm uses "for" instead of because, which is more formal and proper. I get Storm thinks of herself as a goddess but even she doesn't talk like that.
    Storm should talk like 90 TAS. anyone else is not muh storm!

I agree 100%. Dude just isn't a fiction writer

I agree people don't talk that way in real life. Though Wakandans did when McGregor was writing it too.

Attachment 86298

In real life, more accurate dialogue might be something to the effect of "get me the F out of here!." But under McGregor and Coates, everyone in Wakanda apparently has a PHD in poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I agree people don't talk that way in real life. Though Wakandans did when McGregor was writing it too.

Attachment 86298

In real life, more accurate dialogue might be something to the effect of "get me the F out of here!." But under McGregor and Coates, everyone in Wakanda apparently has a PHD in poetry.
    I thought McGregor was just a product of the time. Didn't most comics in that era have people talking similarly? Maybe that is the style Coates is trying to bring back. Not my flavor, but the older generations might like it.

So, what I'm getting here is that Coates' dialogue is the opposite of Bendis' in that instead of a word salad of quips, jokes, repetition and whispers, dialogue that works more for tv or film, you get a word salad of fancy prose. Hmm, I think in McGregor's case he might have been trying to emulate Kirby's dialogue just without the bombast. Of course, I may be wrong.