Page 57 of 182 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

Hey guys, random question, but seeing the resurgence of Conan in the MU, I was wondering about the Hyborian Age in relation to Atlantis, both the continent and the Cataclysm. Conan's era is a "lost" era in the Marvel U history, and much of Atlantis, Lemuria and the Cataclysm are shrouded in mystery. Do you believe Atlantis, the continent, was still at the surface during Conan's age? I can't remember any particular Conan stories involving Atlantis, though I sure there were some.

Why Marvel doesn't explore some of this stuff is endlessly baffling to me. I wish I was in charge of a Sub-mariner book lol.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I haven't seen that particular episode, but the cartoon style is similar.
    Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. They were recurring characters. It was supposed to be aging superheroes that were now bordering on the senile. Pretty funny stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqfTaLYwMs

Thanks for posting the panel! Makes things clear. And good point on Jae Lee's 90s work making everyone look a bit ... too "savage."

The panel reminds me that Haras was trying to go in a different direction, despite Lee's visual take, on Tiger Shark. He was the most human, relatable, and interesting, IMO. And Tamara points out to Namor that there are similarities between Namor and Tiger Shark that I wished more writers would explore.
    TBF the 90's was kind of weird time for everyone appearance-wise and plot-wise lol
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doombot View Post
    Hey guys, random question, but seeing the resurgence of Conan in the MU, I was wondering about the Hyborian Age in relation to Atlantis, both the continent and the Cataclysm. Conan's era is a "lost" era in the Marvel U history, and much of Atlantis, Lemuria and the Cataclysm are shrouded in mystery. Do you believe Atlantis, the continent, was still at the surface during Conan's age? I can't remember any particular Conan stories involving Atlantis, though I sure there were some.

Why Marvel doesn't explore some of this stuff is endlessly baffling to me. I wish I was in charge of a Sub-mariner book lol.
    No, I don't think so. Atlantis was above the surface during Kull's era, but then the Cataclysm happened, and civilization rose again with the Hyborian age, an unknown prehistoric age.

There are stories with Kull and Atlantis, IIRC.

Marvel has explored a little of this as it ties in with Namor. There's the old Tales of Atlantis. Plus there was the Man-Thing Strange Tales story. Plus, the Serpent Crown is drawn from that mythos.

I wish Marvel had done a Namor book with a Sword and Sorcery vibe earlier, because until the recent re-acquisition of Conan, they didn't have anything like it.

Hey, from your ideas and questions, I would love to see your Subby book!
    Last edited by Reviresco; 04-07-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfang View Post
    TBF the 90's was kind of weird time for everyone appearance-wise and plot-wise lol
    This is true. LOL!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. They were recurring characters. It was supposed to be aging superheroes that were now bordering on the senile. Pretty funny stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CqfTaLYwMs
    OMG! There's the clam shell bra! It is a direct riff on that.

No, I don't think so. Atlantis was above the surface during Kull's era, but then the Cataclysm happened, and civilization rose again with the Hyborian age, an unknown prehistoric age.

There are stories with Kull and Atlantis, IIRC.

Marvel has explored a little of this as it ties in with Namor. There's the old Tales of Atlantis. Plus there was the Man-Thing Strange Tales story. Plus, the Serpent Crown is drawn from that mythos.

I wish Marvel had done a Namor book with a Sword and Sorcery vibe earlier, because until the recent re-acquisition of Conan, they didn't have anything like it.

Hey, from your ideas and questions, I would love to see your Subby book!
    Damn, I had totally forgotten about Kull. He was from Atlantis I think, or conquered it at one point.

Damn, I had totally forgotten about Kull. He was from Atlantis I think, or conquered it at one point.
    Yep. I think he was an Atlantean barbarian, but went on to rule another kingdom.

Yes it's a shame but I don't think that Atlantis is getting any respect in the short term, it's a shame but I think that we could consider fortunate ourselves if after the arc of Invaders/Avengers involving Namor the city doesn't gets destroyed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Yes it's a shame but I don't think that Atlantis is getting any respect in the short term, it's a shame but I think that we could consider fortunate ourselves if after the arc of Invaders/Avengers involving Namor the city doesn't gets destroyed again.
    Weeeellll ... I don't think Zdarsky will do that. But I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Aaron destroys Atlantis, AGAIN. The whole Defenders of the Deep, Namor of the Black Eyes and Murderous Attitude is his baby.

We should start a betting pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Coatl View Post
    Has it even been rebuilt at this point? I'm not sure what the current status is.

It's a shame in many respects. Opening up Atlantean history to the Kull/Conan mythos along with Lemurians, Elder Gods and Celestials would be amazing. Any or all of which could trickle down to modern Sub-Mariner stories.

Has anyone every watched the anime "A Lull In the Sea"?

It's about two towns, one on land and one below the sea and their social inter actions. It's basically a teen romance show, but there is an aspect of it that I think Namor should use.

The people below the sea are basically like normal humans but they've adapted a film over their skin called "Ena" that allows them to breathe saltwater and while on land the Ena absorbs ambient water from clothing and other sources of water to prevent them from drying out.

I think Namor should have Ena and instead of the idea of an oxygen imbalance, they could just say that excessive exposure to the surface dries out his Ena (say like a week or so in a typical environment and 12 hours in an extreme arid), reducing his strength and causing symptoms similar to Gout, so it's more severe pain causing him to lash out.

Him being willing to bare that pain could be symbolic of his heroism, or be used to explain some of his rash actions.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Citizen of Atlantis ImperiusWrecked's Avatar

Has it even been rebuilt at this point? I'm not sure what the current status is.

It's a shame in many respects. Opening up Atlantean history to the Kull/Conan mythos along with Lemurians, Elder Gods and Celestials would be amazing. Any or all of which could trickle down to modern Sub-Mariner stories.
    It's in the process of being rebuilt, in the Invaders some Atlanteans tell Namor the reason for their delay is because they had to concentrate effort into rebuilding the city after the destruction. In Agents of Atlas they show that Atlanteans have the tech to quickly rebuild, and even age up sea coral I beleive, this comes in handy for all the times they have had Atlantis blown up. So if Aaron does decide that Namor and Atlantis have to get blown up again then it might be rebuilt by then

I don't think Zdarsky would blow it up but one can never tell. I can't wait for the next issue though, I only hope Zdarsky doesn't try to retcon anything too big.
    "No one should ever question where my allegiance lies." - Namor of Atlantis

LOL! Thank you for saying what some of us were thinking.
    I won't be banned, will I?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I won't be banned, will I?

It would be a sad day, if they started banning us for that.