Page 10 of 267 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060110 ... LastLast

A majority of the "bat-family" takes away more from the Batman mythos than they add to it.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwingIvI View Post
    A majority of the "bat-family" takes away more from the Batman mythos than they add to it.
    In what ways?

(And I know I'm a hypocrite here but holy **** why are people still bumping a dead thread)
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Joker should have normal speech bubbles.
    I'm with you! Also, Joker should only appear once every five years.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    In what ways?

(And I know I'm a hypocrite here but holy **** why are people still bumping a dead thread)
    Having a few sidekicks and partners is one thing, but having a small army of brightly colored sidekicks really kills the mystique that makes Batman so popular in the first place and a couple of them spoil the noir, grounded take on Batman that is incredibly popular.

And it's been bumped, it's fair game
    Last edited by Pohzee; 12-24-2016 at 11:55 AM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.

Having a few sidekicks and partners is one thing, but having a small army of brightly colored sidekicks really kills the mystique that makes Batman so popular in the first place and a couple of them spoil the noir, grounded take on Batman that is incredibly popular.
    I don't see how.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    I don't see how.
    Well it is a controversial opinions thread, but I don't think that two ninjas trained from childhood to be master assassains, four Robins, three Batgirls, ten teenage sidekicks, and a Batcousin helps the mysterious solo vigilante vibe that makes stories like the Long Halloween and Year One provide. On the flipside, I don't really see or appreciate what some of these characters bring to the table.

Ah yes the popular "grounded" take on Batman that involves him taking on crocodile men that live in the sewers, eco terrorists that control plants, shape shifting mud monsters and comedians with bad skin conditions.

Any way for my opinion, Batman's Rogues Gallery, like many superhero rogues galleries, feed into many toxic and outdated stereotypes. Particularly about the mentally ill.

Well it is a controversial opinions thread, but I don't think that two ninjas trained from childhood to be master assassains, four Robins, three Batgirls, ten teenage sidekicks, and a Batcousin helps the mysterious solo vigilante vibe that makes stories like the Long Halloween and Year One provide.
    I get all that, but why do they lessen the mysteriousness? You're just saying that they do, not why they do.

On the flipside, I don't really see or appreciate what some of these characters bring to the table.
    Sorry to hear that. Your loss.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Ah yes the popular "grounded" take on Batman that involves him taking on crocodile men that live in the sewers, eco terrorists that control plants, shape shifting mud monsters and comedians with bad skin conditions.

Any way for my opinion, Batman's Rogues Gallery, like many superhero rogues galleries, feed into many toxic and outdated stereotypes. Particularly about the mentally ill.
    You mean like, having half your face burned off with acid will kick your split-personality disorder into top gear? Or that cartoonishly over the top and unrealistic clown themed super villains, who use razor sharp playing cards and parade floats as weapons of mass destruction, make real life insane people look bad?

I think you're over-thinking this. The Batman villains are, for the most part, not meant to reflect reality. I doubt many people look at Arnold Wesker or Edward Nygma and think "This is what mentally ill people are like". No more than they view Selina Kyle as a representation of real life burglars.

Well it is a controversial opinions thread, but I don't think that two ninjas trained from childhood to be master assassains, four Robins, three Batgirls, ten teenage sidekicks, and a Batcousin helps the mysterious solo vigilante vibe that makes stories like the Long Halloween and Year One provide. On the flipside, I don't really see or appreciate what some of these characters bring to the table.
    Fundamentally, the Batfamily provides three vital things to the Batman story.

1) They show that Batman is not the only person in Gotham who wants to make the city better. Batman becomes not merely a figure of fear, separated by a fine line from his villains, but a figure of inspiration.

2) They extend his mission, but often in ways that allow readers to become more invested in the Batman world (from the famous inclusion of Robin so young readers would be more invested in a younger character, to the way many Batfamily members can have happier relationships than Bruce, etc). They are the grin in the dark, allowing contrast, diversity, and variety to the eternal struggle for justice in a world of evil.

3) Bruce Wayne became Batman because his family was ripped from him. The Batfamily allows him, slowly and imperfectly, to heal by allowing him to prevent what happened to him from happening to his new family.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

Stephanie Brown Batgirl could almost certainly kick (Pre-Rebirth) Burnside Babs Batgirl's butt in just about every category. And in a manner that would embarrass the Doc Martin wearing, not body armor equipped, not-actually-Oracle-in-her-past and lets-get-blackout-drunk-cause-lulz downgrade of Babs. Simone's Batgrilcould probably handle StephBats at least decently, but not the retread-of-Steph's-formula-but-hipster package.

Also, Batflekc had better have Batfamily in so next film or risk being a generic Batman movie.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Stephanie Brown Batgirl could almost certainly kick (Pre-Rebirth) Burnside Babs Batgirl's butt in just about every category. And in a manner that would embarrass the Doc Martin wearing, not body armor equipped, not-actually-Oracle-in-her-past and lets-get-blackout-drunk-cause-lulz downgrade of Babs. Simone's Batgrilcould probably handle StephBats at least decently, but not the retread-of-Steph's-formula-but-hipster package.

Also, Batflekc had better have Batfamily in so next film or risk being a generic Batman movie.
    All I want for Christmas is this post

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post

So much this post.

I want a live-action Batman movie that's true to the character and mythos, while still being more family-friendly then the DCEU or Nolan Batman, without being as necessarily campy as Batman and Robin/Batman '66.

Also, I'd watch a CW Batman show .

BANNED

- The family makes Batman interesting in the long haul.

- The Retun of Jason Todd was wanting and one of the best things DC ever did.

- Maybe an army of allies dismifies Batman`s aura a bit but the days of him as an urban legend are long gone. They`ve been gone ever since he became a member of oficial teams . It`s time to #dealwithit.

- Joker works the best the least he apears.

- Winnick`s Jason was great. Current Jason is better in the long haul.

- Jason was a more interesting Robin than Dick or Tim.

- Steph was more interesting than Barbara.

- Naked Bane is the best thing that has happened to the character since Secret Six.