Boisterously Confused

Default How much would every DC comic ever, 1935-2014 be worth?

So, the largest collection of DC Comics of which I've ever heard is heading to the auction block. Levine''s collection is 40,000 issues, ranging from 1935's New Fun #1 to 2014's titles, and proports to include every issue published by DC in between.

Now, the article doesn't specify condition of the issues, or if it means ALL titles, or if there is a defined range. It does specify that it includes the first appearances of every significant character in DC's library.

It's being auctioned as a single item.

What do you think it's worth?

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I'll take a swing and say between 3-4 million.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Not a lot I imagine, I mean some of those comics were sold for 25 cents.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Not a lot I imagine, I mean some of those comics were sold for 25 cents.
    They were sold 25cent back in the days.
    But first, if you take into account inflation, 25cent back in the days is worth much more than 25cents now a days !

Second, old items that are hard to impossible to find now a days have significant price increases.

so if you round 40,000 to 3$ an issue, you'll probably have 120,000$ - add in there rare and collector issues - you're probably around 200,000€ at minimum price.
    But I didn't take into account that lots of those issues are now available in omnibus or digital format and easyly accessible. That would surely lower the price - so may around 100,000$ only for the lot or maybe less if hasn't goot full series/runs and if he has lots of damages issues.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    They were sold 25cent back in the days.
    But first, if you take into account inflation, 25cent back in the days is worth much more than 25cents now a days !

Second, old items that are hard to impossible to find now a days have significant price increases.

so if you round 40,000 to 3$ an issue, you'll probably have 120,000$ - add in there rare and collector issues - you're probably around 200,000€ at minimum price.
    But I didn't take into account that lots of those issues are now available in omnibus or digital format and easyly accessible. That would surely lower the price - so may around 100,000$ only for the lot or maybe less if hasn't goot full series/runs and if he has lots of damages issues.
    It obviously depends on what titles are there, but collectors would pay A LOT for 1st printings. The availability of the material in other formats (i.e. omnibus, facsimile, digital) doesn't seem to play a factor. Consider that Action Comics 1 sold for 3 million some years ago.

Retired

As a general rule, I'd say that most comics that sold for ten cents back in the day are worth $400 (near mint) and any comics that sold for $4.00 in recent times are now worth ten cents.

Boisterously Confused

Another factor in this, IMO, is that the description suggests that this is a complete collection of everything that DC produced from its 1935 launch-2014. Now, I haven't crunched numbers to see if the number of issued mentioned includes every genre and every title, but I'd have to think 40K issues gets us into the ballpark at least.

So, the idea of the collection as a whole representing all of DC's history is bound to inflate the price beyond the sum of its individual issue prices. AFIK, this is the only collection of its type in the world other than what DC has in its own vaults.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Another factor in this, IMO, is that the description suggests that this is a complete collection of everything that DC produced from its 1935 launch-2014. Now, I haven't crunched numbers to see if the number of issued mentioned includes every genre and every title, but I'd have to think 40K issues gets us into the ballpark at least.

So, the idea of the collection as a whole representing all of DC's history is bound to inflate the price beyond the sum of its individual issue prices. AFIK, this is the only collection of its type in the world other than what DC has in its own vaults.
    Probably better than what DC has. I believe that they bound their comics for their office archives--so the comic isn't in mint condition. And they lost a lot of comics due to moves and fires. When they were doing Archives they couldn't find all the comics they needed and had to borrow or buy comics. I remember this was the case with the Superboy Archives that they were trying to do, but some issues eluded them.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'll take a swing and say between 3-4 million.
    I would say 10 million at the very least, stuff like first appearances of Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, the JSA, and the JLA especially if those issues are high quality could easily net 10 Million alone.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Probably better than what DC has. I believe that they bound their comics for their office archives--so the comic isn't in mint condition. And they lost a lot of comics due to moves and fires. When they were doing Archives they couldn't find all the comics they needed and had to borrow or buy comics. I remember this was the case with the Superboy Archives that they were trying to do, but some issues eluded them.
    That's an interesting thought. If this was Marvel, I wouldn't be surprised if The Mouse swooped in to buy it. Kind of doubtful that AT&T will drop the change necessary.

Barring the original #1s of Action, Detective, Batman, and Wonder Woman comics, probably not all that much. Action Comics #1 being obviously the most valuable.

It's worth as much as you can get someone to pay for it.

Adekis (A Faster Post Than Usual!)
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Barring the original #1s of Action, Detective, Batman, and Wonder Woman comics, probably not all that much. Action Comics #1 being obviously the most valuable.
    That, perhaps, underestimates such a collection as a cultural artifact.

Amazing Member

I just watched a video on YouTube about this collection. The collection is in the uk and aprox $925,000 is the asking amount. People familiar with some of the comics in this collection are of the dreaded restored type. It is unknown which issues are restored and the overall grades (majority high grade, majority cheapest grade could be found, mixed and matched) the thought is the collection is worth 4-5 million.

Youtube comictom was the video.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    I would say 10 million at the very least, stuff like first appearances of Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, the JSA, and the JLA especially if those issues are high quality could easily net 10 Million alone.
    See, my head went that high too at first. But I just don't think the money is out there anymore.
    Either way, a collection like this will NEVER be seen again. I truly hope whoever buys it avoids the obvious temptation to break it up and sell individual titles/issues.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.