Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Empyre: X-men #4 - "You're a damned fool, woman" review *spoilers*

Issue starts with Wanda waking up from being knocked out by the zombies and teleporting to Dr. Strange. He reads her for filth and calls her out for constantly creating chaos and leaving others to clean up her mess. She asks for help and he says he doesnt have time for that but instead wants the number to some Yoga instructor that hates him and changed her number. He then agrees to help her but is mortified by the objects she sought for her spell and calls her a damned fool

He has Wong cancel their plans as they go to recover objects that would negate the spell. On Genosha, he creates a barrier that prevents the dead from leaving the island and attempts to undo the spell. Wanda notices that nothing happened and Strange tells her that you cant unring a bell. He tells her that he made it such that her spell will dissipate when the staff does and it will take 30 days

29 days later the X-men are on Genosha fighting the zombies. Beast is working with that woman from Hordeculture and summons someone from the Krakoan gate, a young blonde boy. Its Explodey Boy and he goes to Genosha to talk to his zombie self. He tells the zombie about being resurrected and how life is now. He gives him a jetpack and convinces him to fly into the big brain plant and destroy it. He does and everyone is grossed out when green gunk explodes on them but it defeats the Cotati since they were linked to it, leaving just the dead

Magik is left as the Demon Queen with dominion on the island and she attempts to make Exodus, Sinister, Quentin and Nightcrawler her slaves. Time runs out and she is transformed back to human and the zombies disintegrate. In the confusion Hordeculture make a run for it. Monet is seen awake and does nothing but say "So Home?" the entire issue.

Later Explodey Boy is seen at the ruins of Genosha and recovers the jetpack. Hordeculture are doing research. Wanda is alone in a room rading a book and the narration says "It ends how it ends. Its done then you get on with it and keep on living. Unless of course you cant live with it. Unless of course, you wont"

Hickman successfully landed the plane after the nonsense that was the last 2 issues. I enjoyed this and the art was great. The X-men didnt really get much shine here but it was okay. I think the timer was a cheap way to end the plot but probably for the best considering things were escalating and there wasnt much time left
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-19-2020 at 05:32 AM.

Just gotta say I loved this issue. I'll have to read it again. But it made me smile.

Mighty Member

I hate this issue. Like straight up. It's some of Hickman's worst tendencies concentrated into one issue. Especially his misogyny.

Like this is the most patronizing I've seen Strange be in like Decades. That's a god damn accomplishment.
    Last edited by Woozie; 08-19-2020 at 05:38 AM.

The situation had escalated to an absurdity that I think this has been the best solution: Stop.

The moment between the mutant and his zombie has been surprisingly moving.

Mighty Member

Also somebody needs to sit Hickman down and tell him he's not funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Also somebody needs to sit Hickman down and tell him he's not funny.
    I think that he is funny when he wants to be funny. His New Mutants are very funny.

Yo Strange is a fucking dick, "I don't have time" you're the sorcerer supreme isn't fixing magical BS your main job? He really irritated me he's just as incompetent as Wanda. Someone needs to replace him. Also who the fuck was the kid? I thought young Nitro for a second but I'm not sure.

Also am I the only one who feels this is just the beginning I don't think Hickman is done with Wanda.
    Last edited by Journey; 08-19-2020 at 05:51 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I think that he is funny when he wants to be funny. His New Mutants are very funny.
    I think Hickman can be witty, i don't think any of his stuff is 'funny'

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    I hate this issue. Like straight up. It's some of Hickman's worst tendencies concentrated into one issue. Especially his misogyny.

Like this is the most patronizing I've seen Strange be in like Decades. That's a god damn accomplishment.
    Agreed. This whole series was so pointless.
    I'm dreading to see what Hickman does with Wanda next.

It's a real shame, because the first issue showed potential and I was actually really excited to learn more about X-Corp.

Mixed feelings on this.

For positives, it does address some questions we've been asking about resurrection and brings in Wanda as a plot point we'll probably see more of later. This last issue was surprisingly sweet, no complaints regarding Explodey Boys little monologue with himself. Beast acknowledging that he does unethical things at times is nice as well instead of pretending he's above it all.

On the negatives, the core characters that were advertised basically did nothing. Especially poor Monet, who did an impression of Guggs Storm this entire arc. Loads of missed oppertunities in terms of commentary with Selena, Emma, or any character who tied into Genosha which could've given this series more depth. Instead of wasting the development on the supremely boring Hordeculture. sigh

Lmao the title.

This issue was funny which I wasn't expecting since Hickman kind of humor often falls flat.

The Explodey Boy thing was cute.

Hickman usually writes Doctor Strange and well, any of the Illuminati (except maybe Black Panther), as jerkass. And I can't say that it seems like a bad characterization considering the history that each one of them has.

The Explodey Boy stuff was surprisingly touching, but I wasn’t a fan of much else. There was no need to make Wanda THAT incompetent and the fact that Monet didn’t wake up till the issue was over is SO annoying.

I think Explodey Boy appeared in #2

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Hickman usually writes Doctor Strange and well, any of the Illuminati (except maybe Black Panther), as jerkass. And I can't say that it seems like a bad characterization considering the history that each one of them has.
    While I was reading I was under the impression that he was purposely writing all their personalities amped to a hundred to make it funnier. This book is supposed to be light, mindless stuff.

Except the Explodey Boy thing which was indeed kinda touching.