Page 36 of 198 FirstFirst ... 263233343536373839404686136 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotham TV Show

I like the twist of who penguin is really working for.

I'm normally not a believer in slash shipping goggles, but it is starting to seem like Oswald had a crush on Gordon.

Mighty Member

Penguin rules!!!!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Art School Dropout View Post
    Episode 7 "Penguin's Umbrella" Starting to like Drew Powell as Butch Gilzean. Whoa Mr. Zsasz! Nice save by Montoya and Allen. The Penguins scenes continue to entertain me and I wasn't expecting the reveal at the end.
    As interesting as Penguin's long game is, I kinda was more interested in how far Gordon would have gotten on his honest Cop suicide run. I'm pissed at Barbara for ruining it ( whatever she smoked back in the day must have had affected her brain).

But I should have known they couldn't have the series status quo change completely only 7 episodes in.

The Mayor was hysterical though "Everything's back to normal. Bye now!"

Incredible Member

They really stepped it up with this episode.
    Everything clicked, great amount of twists, things weren't too over the top.
    Penguin was great as always.
    Zsasz' ringtone was perfect (and an indication by the phone this likely takes place in early 2000s at the earliest, when this is set is really ambiguous, any clues are appreciated)

And what do Gordon and Bullock do? Bust in with shotguns, LA confidential style. Just, nice.

Very entertaining episode tonight. Penguin continues to soar higher and higher on this show. To borrow a GAME OF THRONES analogy, the Penguin is GOTHAM's Littlefinger.

And next week's preview ...

Bruce: "Alfred, can you teach me to fight?"

Alfred: "Yes, I can."

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Alfred Pennyworth: Man of Mystery. Where did he get so badass?

Then at the other end of the badass spectrum we have Victor Zsasz, who was lame enough to claim a kill for shooting a woman lying helpless on the ground after his henchgirls had already shot both legs out from under her. How many of his other 27 "kills" have been staked rabbits, I wonder?

Interesting and sudden change of heart for Bullock.

I wonder exactly where they're going with Gordon. If he keeps up like this, he's going to have to be a superhero in his own right just to stay alive.

Penguin is now officially the creepiest little weasel on television. Well done, sir!

Retired

Interesting that the same actor who plays Zsasz here, plays the Mist on THE FLASH.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    Alfred Pennyworth: Man of Mystery. Where did he get so badass?
    His father taught him Venusian aikido!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Retired

I liked the way most of this episode built the tension, leading up to that confrontation with Falcone. I was cheesed off at Barbara for being so stupid and ruining this cimactic moment. I wanted to see how far it could go. So I didn't appreciate this anti-climax with Barbara.

Still, that did give us the "Funkytown" ringtone. So it wasn't a total waste.

I almost think Barbara is actually working for Falcone. Just like the honeypot working for Fish in Falcone's house--maybe Barbara is secretly working for Falcone and that whole scene was a set-up. However, that seems far too contrived even for this series.

I can't figure out what the deal is with the chickens. I don't think they just serve as convenient cover for Falcone's meetings with Cobblepot. I think they are meant to represent something. But I don't know what.

So much depends upon a red wheel barrow glazed with rain beside the white chickens--as they say.

I liked how Alfred showed up in the nick of time. But I wish they would do more with him. Give him a part to play in Gordon's war on crime.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Raefe Mahadeo View Post
    Zsasz' ringtone was perfect (and an indication by the phone this likely takes place in early 2000s at the earliest, when this is set is really ambiguous, any clues are appreciated)
    The artistic design of Gotham always makes it hard to place a specific time, but that's intentional. However, last week at the beginning of the show they had the words "PRESENT DAY" across the screen, so I'd say that's a subtle hint.

Also the prevalence of smartphones places this significantly layer than early 2000s
    Last edited by AJBopp; 11-04-2014 at 06:45 AM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Trying to pinpoint the time period of this show by looking at the tech is doomed to fail. They have smartphones because it's convenient for the plot. But Jim's computer at work looks like it's from the 90's, and the cars look to be from the 70's.

Retired

One of my favourite novels is LORD NELSON TAVERN by Ray Smith which constantly blurs the time period of the chararacters. Both Burton's BATMAN and Nolan's BATMAN BEGINS deliberately played with anachronisms. So did BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES.

Comic strips like LITTLE LULU have also created an unreal sense of time--as did the classic SUPERBOY comic book.

The "present day" of the GOTHAM series is the present day for the main characters in relation to past events--like the original Goat killings. But the series isn't set in our present day--it's set in a fictional time.

BANNED

Trying to pinpoint the time period of this show by looking at the tech is doomed to fail. They have smartphones because it's convenient for the plot. But Jim's computer at work looks like it's from the 90's, and the cars look to be from the 70's.
    That's what I meant by the artistic design of the show being intentionally vague. However it is reasonable to estimate the time period by evaluating the latest commonly used tech. A computer from the 90s doesn't rule out present day, but it does rule out the 80s. A smartphone doesn't rule out 2009, but it does rule out 2000.

I really feel disconnected. Waynes shouldve died in season 1 finale. I wanted more father son time of joy for bruce and then RIIIIIP

Astonishing Member PretenderNX01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    I kinda was more interested in how far Gordon would have gotten on his honest Cop suicide run. I'm pissed at Barbara for ruining it
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I was cheesed off at Barbara for being so stupid and ruining this cimactic moment. I wanted to see how far it could go. So I didn't appreciate this anti-climax with Barbara.
    Yeah how terrible that Barbara didn't let Jim commit suicide. What? Like her or not, that bit kinda saved his ass. It slowed him down and Penguin could get his favor from Falcone in.

And he was on a typewriter. They like the time mix.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyD View Post
    I really feel disconnected. Waynes shouldve died in season 1 finale. I wanted more father son time of joy for bruce and then RIIIIIP
    Looks like the show is doing just fine as it is:
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/11/04/gotham-ratings-rise/