Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is it time for Marvel to take another crack at The Eternals?

With the Inhuman/Mutant conflict in full swing perhaps it's time for Marvel to start considering polishing up their other superhuman races. I believe the last time they saw any real action was the Gaiman and Knauf books. I'd imagine they would get redesigned/contemporary costumes.

I'm not extremely versed on their history, but it seems like something to explore. How would you all like to see them reintroduced and used in the current Marvel Universe?
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

They would need a good writer that could handle their power levels, which for me is the true challenge of making a series about the Eternals, but if they find someone who can handle that and understand the characters' voices and personalities, then I would love to give it a shot.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    With the Inhuman/Mutant conflict in full swing perhaps it's time for Marvel to start considering polishing up their other superhuman races. I believe the last time they saw any real action was the Gaiman and Knauf books. I'd imagine they would get redesigned/contemporary costumes.

I'm not extremely versed on their history, but it seems like something to explore. How would you all like to see them reintroduced and used in the current Marvel Universe?

Agreed! I would like to see The Eternals used in more Marvel Universe books. I would like to see them cross paths with the X-Men or involved with The Avengers.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

i'd be cool with this.

It's another MCU friendly franchise.

Mighty Member

Robinson and Yost was working on something, but it seems it got completely scrapped. Shame.
    I said before, I think the issue with the Eternals right now is that they don't have a purpose. Most of them shouldn't settle for stopping petty criminals, and I don't want more infighting either (that was the last run). Despite coming from Celestials I don't feel like space adventures would really suit them, not as much as say either the X-Men or the Inhumans (even tho we know they're currently in space right now so maybe?). I've been a pretty loud proponent of bringing the Deviants back in a big way. Contact with other deities would be appealing as well. Or make them the guardians of the newly reborn Battleworld. That would be awesome.

Gaiman's miniseries left a big impression on me, so I would really like it if they did something with the eternals. Maybe they could be played up as "rivals" to the asgardians. Or explore how different pantheons work on earth. They all know each other.
    Last edited by Overhazard; 12-16-2016 at 08:00 AM.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Not particularly fussed if I'm honest. But I could be intrigued depending on the creative team.

How would you guys reintroduce them? Total reboot of the concept or pick up where the last series left off?

Their use in the MU has been so sporadic that I think either way might work. Especially with the SW quasi-reboot.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Maybe coming out of the next event? Or out of some storyline to do with Thanos?

Quote Originally Posted by John Ossie View Post
    Maybe coming out of the next event? Or out of some storyline to do with Thanos?
    I'm just getting caught up with Inhumans (Thanks comixology sale!) but I sort of wondered if maybe they are housed in the Sky Shards. I've only finished Uncanny Book One though, I'll check out Book Two and All New when I have time.

Have they revealed what they are yet?
    Pull List:

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    I'm just getting caught up with Inhumans (Thanks comixology sale!) but I sort of wondered if maybe they are housed in the Sky Shards. I've only finished Uncanny Book One though, I'll check out Book Two and All New when I have time.

Have they revealed what they are yet?
    I've no idea, truth be told. I've had to drop a lot of books recently, Inhumans and X-Stuff included, so I don't know if they've revealed anything about the Sky Shards.

I'd be down with seeing The Eternals, but Marvel needs to find a theme and pitch and stay commited to it. IMO Squadron Supreme and Illuminati had great potential, ,but the writers/editors did see it all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by neohuey89 View Post
    I'd be down with seeing The Eternals, but Marvel needs to find a theme and pitch and stay commited to it. IMO Squadron Supreme and Illuminati had great potential, ,but the writers/editors did see it all the way through.
    I don't think having them run around as a team is the way to go. They should sort of operate on the edges and manipulate events in the way the Illuminati tried to. They could hide in plain sight and blend with humans but anytime they have to act in the open should be a huge deal.

Honestly, if they did a book it might be interesting to have it star someone who has Deviant dna, and is being pursued by Deviants. Maybe they'd assume they are a mutant or inhuman and have to go off in search of the various Eternals.
    Pull List:

If the Eternals are really in Thor: Ragnarok, then I would expect them to make some kind of resurgence in the near future.

BANNED

I would LOVE a new Eternals series. I really enjoyed the last volume (that Acuna art was so perfect!), and I also enjoyed that one-shot Eternals book where they fought Apocalypse (very underrated one-shot, IMO). And I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I didn't enjoy Gaiman's book...mostly because I absolutely HATE Romita Jr's art. But yes, I'm all for a new Eternals book. Maybe give the Damocles Foundation a reintroduction as their primary antagonist alongside a reintroduction of the Deviants in general?