Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorPrime View Post
    Again. Its not the word..its the language. is it so hard to put sentences in brackets add an Astrix that says alien language.. Maybe modern readers would be confused by more words.
    Doesn't asking why an alien would call the metal vibranium more qualify as a complaint about the usage or the word rather than the language?

Either way, I guess in theory they can add editors notes everytime aliens are using an alien language. Quite honestly I think it's unecessary most of the time and just clutters the art with more unecessary words that I at least frankly don't need, but that's just me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    To me complaining about aliens using the word "vibranium" is like aliens using the word "the." Chances are the word "the" doesn't exist in any alien language either, but it's still used and most readers probably don't need editorial notes explaining everytime the word "the" appears on print out of an aliens mouth.

It's sci-fi and english usage by aliens is PRETTY MUCH the norm.

This argument lacks merit for the simple fact that it would be illogical for two seperate alien races to use the same exact word to describe an object or thing.

I remember a time when writers actually used to employ parenthesis alongside editorial notes to lend legitimacy and weight to on page narratives but as ExcelsiorPrime pointed out, this no longer seems to be the case.

But I suppose it's easier to liken a genuine observation and raised point as a "complaint" rather than contemplating the validity of said raised point or in the very least agreeing to disagree and then moving on.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-11-2014 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    In the MCU. We could have Thanos sending his men to 'barter' with T'Challa. He accepts, but both are tricking each other, and it leads to bigger stuff.
    This idea sounds good (though not Thanos, he's lame, but some other big alien leader would be cool). Or even bring in S.W.O.R.D. have Brand and T'Challa work on a trade negotiation?

I will wait until I get the full story but i have to admit i don't like what i see in Mr.MajestiK scan.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    This idea sounds good (though not Thanos, he's lame, but some other big alien leader would be cool). Or even bring in S.W.O.R.D. have Brand and T'Challa work on a trade negotiation?

100% agreed. Or, at the very least, the MAJORITY of it should be appreciating, or quickly giving way to the ones who are. Negativity never helps threads, and especially in Appreciation threads seems wasteful. Appreciate the joy.

It's never been explored properly (and there has been plenty of chances to, if it was pressing), but the fact it's from space isn't contradicting anything in a BP book (and I agree, the "lead" narrative should come from the book it's in). Not that it's always how it happens, mind you. Plenty of debuted and character moments happen in comics not headlining by said developing character.
    Honestly, Tchalla or Shuri could have just had a cameo in this that would have eased a lot of my issues.

Captain Marvel could have called Wakanda and been summarily dismissed with a simple "Thank you for your concern, we are aware of the situation and it is being monitored."

Or as not to cause backlash they could have had J'son say something that suggests that this isn't the planet it originates from and just has a large deposit of the extremely rare metal which is why he is seizing it. That would leave the story possibility open to have BP or some other Wakandans (the experts on Vibranium) do something with it later. Instead he specifically states "that pissant planet it comes from" implying the point of origination.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Absolutely correct.

For all the disdain Reginald Hudlin gets from some, he remains the only writer who fits the Point Man description where charting the course for T'Challa an Wakanda were concerned.

He got things done with T'Challa's forward momentum that no one else can lay claim to having done apart from Priest who wasn't't able to achieve what Hudlin did with the marriage between T'Challa and Storm.

That was some undiluted Point Man sterling stuff on Hudlin's part.
    The point man, if an outsider, would have to be someone with pre-existing heat, like Hudlin, or JMS.

I am quite sure if a rock star creator, like Grant, Geoff, Bendis, or Ellis were writing BP, this story would never have been present was we are currently seeing.

You won't see a "mutants being persecuted" story in a non-mutant book without the story guest-starring a renown mutant, spelled Wolverine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    This argument lacks merit for the simple fact that it would be illogical for two seperate alien races to use the same exact word to describe an object or thing.

I remember a time when writers actually used to employ parenthesis alongside editorial notes to lend legitimacy and weight to on page narratives but as ExcelsiorPrime pointed out, this no longer seems to be the case.

But I suppose it's easier to liken a genuine observation and raised point as a "complaint" rather than contemplating the validity of said raised point or in the very least agreeing to disagree and then moving on.
    Meh. Someone has to play the devils advocate.

Maybe its an Alien bias. I kind of give a pass to humans because its possible to speak multiple languages. Where with Aliens unless we are told..they speak the language of their planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    Honestly, Tchalla or Shuri could have just had a cameo in this that would have eased a lot of my issues.

Captain Marvel could have called Wakanda and been summarily dismissed with a simple "Thank you for your concern, we are aware of the situation and it is being monitored."

Or as not to cause backlash they could have had J'son say something that suggests that this isn't the planet it originates from and just has a large deposit of the extremely rare metal which is why he is seizing it. That would leave the story possibility open to have BP or some other Wakandans (the experts on Vibranium) do something with it later. Instead he specifically states "that pissant planet it comes from" implying the point of origination.
    Is there any particular reason Captain Marvel would call Wakanda over this? It's not like it's Wakandan vibranium being sold or stolen or anything. It kind of has nothing to do with them.

It's like calling Wolverine if a shipment of adamantium is stolen. Yeah, he uses it but it's not like it's all his.

That said, I cameo by Black Panther is still a possibility.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post

100% agreed. Or, at the very least, the MAJORITY of it should be appreciating, or quickly giving way to the ones who are. Negativity never helps threads, and especially in Appreciation threads seems wasteful. Appreciate the joy.

It's never been explored properly (and there has been plenty of chances to, if it was pressing), but the fact it's from space isn't contradicting anything in a BP book (and I agree, the "lead" narrative should come from the book it's in). Not that it's always how it happens, mind you. Plenty of debuted and character moments happen in comics not headlining by said developing character.
    So no one appreciated Panther in Original Sins? or are we broad-stroking Panther fans again?

because i could easily say some people only complain when they see (what they contend is) complaining and never mention when there is appreciatin.

Also they tend not to do this in other threads with similar observations. In fact they join in.
    Tsk tsk tsk
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 07-11-2014 at 08:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Klaw STARTED out as an F.F. character just as Black Panther started out as a F.F supporting character.

Every F.F. villan that isnt Doom or Galactus is a joke now as F.F. got better at what they did only those two were able to keep up(or those are the only two villian FF writers give a rat's ass about-take your pick).

For 90% of Black Panther's history Vibranium was just the reason B.P. and Wakanda were so rich and NOT the source of his power.

That was the Heart Shaped Herb.

That "Black Panther is constantly armed with Vibranium this or that" stuff started with Priest. Reg gave T'Challa a slightly different arsenal and Mayberry gave Shuri different arsenal altogether.

Once this story ends what exactly will change for B.P. place in the Marvel Universe? Nothing.

Nobody ever said that Wakanda was the ONLY Place in the Universe where you could get the stuff.

It wasn't even the only place you could get it on Earth. The Savage Land has ben around almost a long as Wakanda in comics (I don't care enough to look up which was first).

This isn't the violation you all want to think it is but whatever.
    You're entitled to your opinion but I'm afraid none of what you've typed here has any real bearing on the issues raised thus far as regards the strip mining of tropes associated with the Black Panther mythos.

What does Savage Land Vibranium have to do with anything that's been discussed so far?

We both know that it's completely different from the Wakandan variety so I fail to see what bringing it up in comparison to the type prevalent in Wakanda has to do with anything at this point.

Priest was able to utilize Wakandan Vibranium so effectively during his BP run because of the foundations previously set in place by Lee and Kirby and each successive BP scribe pre-Maberry followed suite in much the same way that each successive writer on Iron Man has added to Tony Stark's repetoire and resource pool thu making him one of the characters most capable of adapting to situations as a futurist.

The source of T'Challa' power used to be the heart shaped herb but in the aftermath of Doomwar that's no longer the case is it.

Wakandan Vibranium coupled with the natural intelligence of the Wakandan people has been the bedrock upon which their already considerable excellence has been built so T'Challa's strength (and the source thereof) is irrelevant to Wakandas ongoing narrative as a concept within the 616 MU.

The discussion revolving around this Vibranium business in Captain Marvel #5 is centered upon the weirdness of this development occuring outside of a T'Challa/Wakanda based setting.

That's the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Shaw View Post
    The point man, if an outsider, would have to be someone with pre-existing heat, like Hudlin, or JMS.

I am quite sure if a rock star creator, like Grant, Geoff, Bendis, or Ellis were writing BP, this story would never have been present was we are currently seeing.

You won't see a "mutants being persecuted" story in a non-mutant book without the story guest-starring a renown mutant, spelled Wolverine.
    You'll get an occasional "mutants being persecuted" story in a non-mutant book from time to time. Busiek for example addressed some anti-mutant stuff with Wanda on the team.

Marvel is a shared sandbox. People can borrow the toys, so long as they don't break it without permission.

Is there any particular reason Captain Marvel would call Wakanda over this? It's not like it's Wakandan vibranium being sold or stolen or anything. It kind of has nothing to do with them.

It's like calling Wolverine if a shipment of adamantium is stolen. Yeah, he uses it but it's not like it's all his.

That said, I cameo by Black Panther is still a possibility.
    No it's more like calling the X-Men if you find some hidden Weapon X facility or something related to the X-Gene. Vibranium is fundamentally tied to Wakanda like no other place in the MU. Showing it's place of origin in a book that has nothing to do with Wakanda undermines that. Especially since they wrote a story that serves no purpose other than removing Vibranium from Wakanda then having a queen go begging around for it.

Like I said before if after HOM they'd have show the mutants in dire straights while in some other book BP or the Avengers were fighting some alien bragging about all these Stem Cells with X-Gene it would be ridiculous to not clue in Hank McCoy.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Yes, we are all seeing more aspects of the BP mythos in print. The concerns are whether these aspects are used to spotlight & explore the mythos, or simply story fodder for other books seeking to expand their own mythos.

I'm not seeing any unquestionable positive results, yet.

A strong hand guiding BP is needed because I'm not feeling any respect from the other creative teams exploiting the BP mythos.

Great points by Spear & EP.
    Last edited by Anthony Shaw; 07-11-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Extraordinary Member

You'll get an occasional "mutants being persecuted" story in a non-mutant book from time to time. Busiek for example addressed some anti-mutant stuff with Wanda on the team.

Marvel is a shared sandbox. People can borrow the toys, so long as they don't break it without permission.
    Here we are with a story featuring Vibranium, but not one BP character. This story would have been perfect to guest star Shuri. It was already established in NA that Wakanda had a space program.

That is how you maximize a shared universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Spear of Bashenga View Post
    No it's more like calling the X-Men if you find some hidden Weapon X facility or something related to the X-Gene. Vibranium is fundamentally tied to Wakanda like no other place in the MU. Showing it's place of origin in a book that has nothing to do with Wakanda undermines that. Especially since they wrote a story that serves no purpose other than removing Vibranium from Wakanda then having a queen go begging around for it.

Like I said before if after HOM they'd have show the mutants in dire straights while in some other book BP or the Avengers were fighting some alien bragging about all these Stem Cells with X-Gene it would be ridiculous to not clue in Hank McCoy.
    But again, why would Captain Marvel call Wakanda? Even if it's tied to Wakanda as a concept, it's NOT Wakanda's vibranium that's being sold. It sort of has nothing to do with them.

That's not to say the story can't in theory incorporate Wakanda into it if the writer choses to... but at this point I don't think there's a narrative reason for Carol to call them. If other people are selling Vibranium in space, from Wakanda's perspective so what?