View Poll Results: where do you want Duke to go next?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • make him an official Robin

0 0%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (street level hero)

5 33.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (street level hero)

2 13.33%
  • new hero direction entirely

3 20.00%
  • Daytime hero as Signal (metahuman mythos)

2 13.33%
  • public identity as The Signal (metahuman mythos)

1 6.67%
  • retire and be a civilian ally

2 13.33%
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm just hoping Duke's new comic is good and it gets the time it deserves to shine.
    I think that today, with WAR, his mini, the Immortal Men and even Outsiders, plus all his cameos, Duke has a lot of stuff to pick from to make an interesting mini/maxi-series or GNs. Also, I don't really want it but a writer could use Gotham-Girl (I hope it doesn't happen, but it could).

Hell, even Duke getting back his light powers could do for an interesting story involving his parents, Gnomon and the Arkham Juvie gang.

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Interesting. I'm not into podcasts, so would you mind elaborating on this, please?
    the interview isn't on youtube yet so I uploaded a clip where he talks about Duke. I'll probably swap it out once they upload the interview.

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    the interview isn't on youtube yet so I uploaded a clip where he talks about Duke. I'll probably swap it out once they upload the interview.

Thanks, lemonpeace!!

I'm glad to have listened to this. It wasn't long, but it was just what I needed to hear. I wish there would be a space made available for Snyder where he can just talk and gush about Duke, and how awesome he and his world and everything about him is, in a way that was unfiltered enough to be really enlightening. Same for Harper Row and her world. 'Cause it feels super obvious he isn't getting the chance to really talk about these creations of his and their potential and the good they'd do if they were more equilaterally available and excepted.

I liked how he had to not moan over hearing someone bring up that darn Lark question, too. Glad I wasn't the only one who is largely tired of how so many haven't moved on from the name that was potentially teased but that he never really had.

This also essentially confirms that Scott originally envisioned Duke to be a more traditional Robin. Part of me still feels bad for having been denied Duke in that traditional position. Woulda loved to see what his costume would have been. As well, him being a capital 'R' Robin would have meant that it wouldn't be nearly so easy and seamless and mindless for the general Batfandom to disregard Duke being and haven been a Robin. Don't get me wrong; I know they would have still tried. With a vengeance. But it would have still been harder had Duke been able to go the more traditional route and been consistently cast and used as such. (A Nightwing-esque transition into The Signal or whatever could have still been planned to happen later, in a more organically and consistently plotted way. I.e., Duke woulda been around in books more consistently during the post-New 52 period, rather than being so fragmented, appearance and role wise.)

Snyder did indeed have to modify and evolve his plans for Duke due to the then-whims of DC. They were definitely having him play fast and loose with Damian existing or not. I'm glad he always had the core themes and elements of Duke in mind, throughout the modifications he had to adapt Duke through: Duke being a daytime hero, his connection to the light, his sagacious sense of independence and his wise sense of trust, his keen and insightful sense of observation and perception that allows Duke to be a good communicator and reach and connect with people and also a good detective who can see things others can't (both literally and figuratively), among other generally consistent aspects of Duke's character.

And I can respect Scott for being professional enough to avoid letting any frustrations show during the last lil' portion of your recording, lemonpeace. Even though, I do in fact sense his frustrations for how his plans for Duke have been altered, delayed, and in some cases, outright derailed. Still, Snyder kept his cool, assured "they weren't bad" changes in general, and avoided specifying and naming names. Again, I'd love for Scott Snyder to be able to speak his mind more openly and candidly about his thoughts and feelings (and ambitions) over Duke (and again, also Harper).

Spot the Signal guys and gals :

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

subtle, but I dig the nerdy fit. it looks like he may or may not be dancing with Ryan Wilder (new Batwoman).
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

currently following:
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

Astonishing Member

Since we've never seen Duke in suspenders and he isn't typically depicted with a domino mask, I took me way too long to notice Gotham's ray of light there.

Love the pic, though!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    Since we've never seen Duke in suspenders and he isn't typically depicted with a domino mask, I took me way too long to notice Gotham's ray of light there.

Love the pic, though!
    The artist does shirts and clothes as well. I have his Miles & Killmonger shirts. He doesn't have one of Duke.

He also has a book series.

https://marcusthevisual.tumblr.com/
    https://www.linkedin.com/public-prof...e-eaec6f3d3504

Extraordinary Member

Who is the girl with the Batsymbol?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Who is the girl with the Batsymbol?
    it's probably Ryan Wilder, the new Batwoman over on CW for the upcoming Season 2. They featured the first look of her in a promo spread where they had DC characters from across media all drawn in comic form, i hope that this and that other pic is them hinting toward rolling her into the comics on a fast track.

I think it would be cool to see Duke, Luke, and Ryan all teaming up, seeing as we've never seen more than one black bat-family member operating at the same time; let alone working together. I hope DC is realizing that part of representation isn't just letting people of color exist on the pay but actually letting them be real people are interact with people who also look like them as well as a diverse group of colleagues. having a bunch of loose tokens ain't the wave, boiut time they cash them in for some more quality poc content.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The artist does shirts and clothes as well. I have his Miles & Killmonger shirts. He doesn't have one of Duke.

He also has a book series.

https://marcusthevisual.tumblr.com/
    https://www.linkedin.com/public-prof...e-eaec6f3d3504
    I knew his style looked familiar! Love to his Tuskeegee Heirs! Wonder when the next installment will be out?

Marcus Williams also had a solid "fan fiction" pitch for post-Korra Avatar with Black dominate cast and references to mythology that I want to be a thing so bad! Artwork was too good for this sinful Earth.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 08-22-2020 at 10:16 PM.

I think that today, with WAR, his mini, the Immortal Men and even Outsiders, plus all his cameos, Duke has a lot of stuff to pick from to make an interesting mini/maxi-series or GNs. Also, I don't really want it but a writer could use Gotham-Girl (I hope it doesn't happen, but it could).

Hell, even Duke getting back his light powers could do for an interesting story involving his parents, Gnomon and the Arkham Juvie gang.
    Honestly thats enough material for a few tv seasons. I wonder if anyone's tried to write a mock tv show pitch for Duke? Even just for fun?

I actually liked the tease King set up between Duke and Gotham girl so I'd be interested in it.

it's probably Ryan Wilder, the new Batwoman over on CW for the upcoming Season 2. They featured the first look of her in a promo spread where they had DC characters from across media all drawn in comic form, i hope that this and that other pic is them hinting toward rolling her into the comics on a fast track.
    They're testing the waters of a possibly separate black Batman alongside Bruce, I guess if Ryan proves popular enough they might go for two Batwomen but most of the Arrowverse originals haven't made the jump to comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    They're testing the waters of a possibly separate black Batman alongside Bruce, I guess if Ryan proves popular enough they might go for two Batwomen but most of the Arrowverse originals haven't made the jump to comics.
    thus far, who knows what could happen given the leadership overhaul that just happened. One thing that's Marvel has been pretty consistent with has been brand consistency across mediums, DC appears to be moving toward bolstering their roster of heroes of color. given the headlines she was able to grab we could very well see Ryan get rolled in sooner than later; which I'd be pretty down with. If Luke as Batman is happening, I would love to see him, Duke, and Ryan to work together because of how rare it is to see black bat-characters existing side by side. I've read everything Duke has been in, Duke has never met Luke nor, outside his family and Black Lightning, does he have many if any positive black interactions.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 08-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.

currently following:

Astonishing Member

thus far, who knows what could happen given the leadership overhaul that just happened. One thing that's Marvel has been pretty consistent with has been brand consistency across mediums, DC appears to be moving toward bolstering their roster of heroes of color. given the headlines she was able to grab we could very well see Ryan get rolled in sooner than later; which I'd be pretty down with. If Luke as Batman is happening, I would love to see him, Duke, and Ryan to work together because of how rare it is to see black bat-characters existing side by side. I've read everything Duke has been in, Duke has never met Luke nor, outside his family and Black Lightning, does he have many if any positive black interactions.
    It still gets me that Tynion's Detective run had Duke tell Batwoman to basically "Tell Batwing I said 'Hi' and that 'I'm a big fan'". Instead of, you know, actually writing Duke and Luke meeting and interacting with each other!

And on top of that, in spite of sharing a book with Black Lightning for the better part of 2 years, Duke's and Jefferson's direct interactions with each other are almost non-existent, except for very early on. And in that early case, I wouldn't refer to that interaction between the two as being positive for Duke, or even on equal measure period.

So Duke's interaction with other Black people on a cordial, positive, and/or equal level is basically limited to his parents (mostly in flashbacks due to their current condition) and his cousin Jason, which was in one issue, more or less, of a truncated, 3-issue miniseries that barely had room to tell what it did, let alone spending time on Duke and his cousin.

I think I've found a way to get over my issues with Duke's suit, I think I can live with it if they just doubled down on how tokusatsu it is. like if they just double down like "ok he's batman's sunlight power ranger" and gave him all the tokutatsu tropes and powers, I could take the costume as it.

currently following: