Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Eh, I'd rather they focus on developing her own supporting cast.
    Supporting cast is a nebulous concept. Being a teacher and having students? I'd call that a "supporting cast".

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'd say something like making her a Wonder Girl while Hippolyta is Wonder Woman would count more as a demotion. Hell the way she's written when around Superman and Batman at times (usually when she's a love interest for either) counts more as a demotion.
    None of those things are great either, and I agree they'd probably be worse. But I still think having anyone else be Wonder Woman before her is a demotion, as it's her story first and foremost. Maybe like in pre-Crisis canon, the Wonder Woman title is awarded to whoever wins the Contest, and maybe other Amazons can have the title but without the combination of the costume, the lasso and becoming a superhero in Man's World. That should be all her. But I wouldn't mind her temporarily losing the title like she did with Orana, since that would be after she made it a superhero name, and she would inevitably get it back.

BANNED

Not the right thread...

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Supporting cast is a nebulous concept. Being a teacher and having students? I'd call that a "supporting cast".
    That I get but I don't think that supporting cast should be other superheroes from other franchises. All it does reinforce the idea, however unintentionally, that the DCU is just three characters.

I want WW to get more exposure but I wouldn't want it at the cost of other characters who have their own stories to tell.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I hate time paradoxes? Also it makes the JSA feel less important if there are actual members of the JLA in the group.
    But the Trinity actually were members of the JSA before they were in the JLA. At least Diana was a very prominent one, after they got over the whole "she can only be the secretary" nonsense.

Ideally, I think the Trinity should be JSA members on Earth-2, but they should receive way less focus than Alan, Ted, Jay, Wes, etc because they already get enough focus on the main Earth. More so Clark and Bruce. I mainly would like them around to explain where Power Girl, Huntress and Fury came from.

That I get but I don't think that supporting cast should be other superheroes from other franchises. All it does reinforce the idea, however unintentionally, that the DCU is just three characters.

I want WW to get more exposure but I wouldn't want it at the cost of other characters who have their own stories to tell.
    Yeah, and it also reinforces the idea that Diana's supporting cast and villains aren't worth focusing on even in her own book, and the franchise is so weak that need to bring in guest stars. There isn't a whole lot of winning in this scenario for any franchise involved.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, and it also reinforces the idea that Diana's supporting cast and villains aren't worth focusing on even in her own book, and the franchise is so weak that need to bring in guest stars. There isn't a whole lot of winning in this scenario for any franchise involved.
    I certainly is unusual apparently strong characterisation doesn't seem to be a staple for the majority of the supporting characters of Wonder Woman. So far the only character that is of considerable notice is Steve Trevor if only because of his A.R.G.U.S. connections. And that's odd as Etta and Sasha Bordeaux are more highly rank than him. You'd think either Sasha or Etta would be called in more. They need writers who understand the term dynamic characterisiation on her book.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I still think WW is the ideal person to have teaching teen sidekicks how to be a hero.

I still think WW is the ideal person to have teaching teen sidekicks how to be a hero.
    I understand the notion that inclusion of vast and unusual DCU elements would seem like it diminishes the importance of Wonder Woman's "corner" and stable of supporting characters, but what I don't understand is the constant comparisons to Super and Bat "Corners".

Diana is NOT an introvert or as focused on specifics as Superman and Batman are. She's was TRAINED in heroism by a Queen and feels both ethically obligated and personally challenged to think big and act smart. Her "corner" is the middle. She brings everyone with her. THAT's why I suggest the Justice League's Hall of Justice her Batcave. She's an extrovert, she's a teacher, and she INVITES conversation.

Suggesting she mentor guys like Booster Gold gives her an opportunity to solve the problem of Booster Gold... not scuttle her narrative in favor of Booster's character arc. She's not a metahuman circus ringleader, she's a super-powered Mrs Frizzle.

BANNED

Sidekicks generally already know perfectly well how to be a hero.
    Acting like they don't is going to piss off their fans and create dislike for Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Sidekicks generally already know perfectly well how to be a hero.
    Acting like they don't is going to piss off their fans and create dislike for Wonder Woman.
    I disagree. If it's done *correctly*, Diana teaches them team tactics, which is different than 'back up the hero'/duo tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I disagree. If it's done *correctly*, Diana teaches them team tactics, which is different than 'back up the hero'/duo tactics.
    Yeah, I agree. It's a little of what we saw in the most recent Detective Comics run, but I'd love to see it with a wider array of characters and Diana at some point.

I've always wanted the Teen Titans to throw a huge party and invite every teen hero to it and for Diana to drop in and be like, "what are you all doing?"

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I understand the notion that inclusion of vast and unusual DCU elements would seem like it diminishes the importance of Wonder Woman's "corner" and stable of supporting characters, but what I don't understand is the constant comparisons to Super and Bat "Corners".

Diana is NOT an introvert or as focused on specifics as Superman and Batman are. She's was TRAINED in heroism by a Queen and feels both ethically obligated and personally challenged to think big and act smart. Her "corner" is the middle. She brings everyone with her. THAT's why I suggest the Justice League's Hall of Justice her Batcave. She's an extrovert, she's a teacher, and she INVITES conversation.

Suggesting she mentor guys like Booster Gold gives her an opportunity to solve the problem of Booster Gold... not scuttle her narrative in favor of Booster's character arc. She's not a metahuman circus ringleader, she's a super-powered Mrs Frizzle.
    While I understand what you're getting at here, the truth is the DC universe is just too big and too complicated a place for something like this to be integrated into it. In addition to the problem of Diana's own supporting cast being diminished you have fans of characters who will resent having their characters' stories hi-jacked by another franchise so Diana can play Mary Poppins. In the end, you get what's been the issue with Batman and Wolverine for decades but with Diana instead.

There are plenty of ways to show Diana is an "extrovert or teacher". Turning her into some kind of character apex predator, devouring other characters and stories, isn't necessarily the right way.

There are plenty of ways to show Diana is an "extrovert or teacher". Turning her into some kind of character apex predator, devouring other characters and stories, isn't necessarily the right way.
    Gail Simone did one take on that back in her Birds of Prey run, where Black Canary felt off her game and asked Diana for a sparring sessions (which also turned out to include some counseling).

Boisterously Confused

Having the Pantheon give the Amazons their island, and stagnating the Amazonian civilization in Ancient Greece's culture and technology, stole all the feminist agency WW was supposed to be about. Love ya Perez, but ya blew it and others followed.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It's a little of what we saw in the most recent Detective Comics run, but I'd love to see it with a wider array of characters and Diana at some point.

I've always wanted the Teen Titans to throw a huge party and invite every teen hero to it and for Diana to drop in and be like, "what are you all doing?"
    I loved how WW taught Cassie in some of the comics. It was a lot better than Batman's approach of "egg meet frying pan"...

Another fun one was when I think it was Batgirl, Barda and a few other female heroes went to Themiscyra for spa day.