Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Conversely, Gwen only really started making a real push for Peter once MJ entered the game

Oh, and answer to the bolded part is between ASM #149 and #150

heh thanks for this ... Even with the Voldemort nose, Her face is classic (finAlly!!! ... )

They probally are in for a long night of drinking orange juice and playing UNO

those paper doll women profiles of the 60s and 70s are hilarious - especially the thought bubbles written by guys... Been reading a lot of the older stuff, they should have left Gwen alone after the grave stone (or later reveal her as the real Gwen) and moved on forever once they allowed MJ to grow up ... Felt like They wrote her like this ADD riddled fallen women forever, then she just changed on morning.... From about 150 til the 300s they did a pretty decent job on Peter, even if the Spidey stuff was a bit uneven.

Kind of started drifting after secret wars ... The first Spidey in space story I can remember...

Kind of odd how Pete drifted through 150 issues in the friends zone... And another 100+ issues before Black Cat found his freak flag lol

Been trying to pinpoint the time between the 300s and clone saga where it just stopped being classic Spidey and morphed into this complex web that requires a tour guide to penetrate the layers ..
    Last edited by Vixx; 02-21-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    To the title question, it's a part and parcel of the Parker Luck for the villain to come back and the good person to stay dead.

However, I still think Norman should have stayed dead too.
    To an extent, I do feel that is worthy of a "What If?" story. Because Norman being dead for good would certainly effect other characters, especially Harry.

As for Gwen, if Peter was supposed to learn anything about his SID from that, Marvel blew that when they made him blow away his SID and get his Aunt May shot. Then they also made him destroy the marriage that Gwen's death was a stepping stone for as well. WTF Marvel?
    Last edited by DieHard200904; 02-22-2017 at 08:04 AM.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Regular Gwen wouldn't really bring anything new to the table and we already have the far more popular Spider-Gwen.

bring back Gwen in a science industry of some kind.. based out of San Francisco.. far enough away from NY, but within the reach of Peter's current status quo with Parker Industries.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    bring back Gwen in a science industry of some kind.. based out of San Francisco.. far enough away from NY, but within the reach of Peter's current status quo with Parker Industries.
    I like that - Have her apply to Parker Industries for a job but get flagged on a background check - or just work there under an alias. But if her speciality turns out to be cloning, I think someone would toss her off the roof lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    Regular Gwen wouldn't really bring anything new to the table and we already have the far more popular Spider-Gwen.
    Pretty much the truth. Having multiple versions of the same exact character is redundant. Even Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers, while they have the same title of Captain America, are different characters. It just doesn't make much sense having Gwen around when Spider-Gwen is in session.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    We had a researching Gwen Stacy in the House of M Universe.

Mighty Member

I think Peter will be dealing with the secret empire mess once the Osborn storyline is finished.

Growth in tragedy is achieved for Peter in losing his uncle. Everything else is negotiable.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Growth in tragedy is achieved for Peter in losing his uncle. Everything else is negotiable.
    Disagreed, her death is the other half of the lesson, Uncle Ben's death taught him the consequence if he didn't act, Gwen's death show him what happens when he did act.

Fantastic Member

Or.. Sometimes bad things happen to good people that he's powerless to stop.

In the revised story - not sure if she's up there because of Peter or Norman ... But it lessons his role

Reading over the recent comments it feels less about why she can't return vs dying in the first place. Gwen Stacy of the 616 did die. It happened and that is a fact, in the canon, and history, and emotional punch to the characters.
    So that is cemented (unless they pull a OMD on that which then would take away such lessons/consequences posted above).

However those 'lessons' would remain with the characters even if she (Gwen Stacy's spirit/soul going from the afterlife back the 616 Earth thus not a clone/new character/soul) somehow did come back. What was learned won't be unlearned. If anything just reinforced how the characters might react.

Again 'THE' 616 Gwen Stacy retuning or not for me is purly if an AWESOME story and developments can happen with/for her and others. Something a writer can think up and find would be perfect for her.
    Not bring her back just to bring her back. It must have some weight/meat to it and a long term plans. Plus always help developments to the characters used (Gwen, Peter, anybody). The writer must think up the ideas/story and shout "EUREKA! I got the next The Visions (2015). In my head that involves and needs her"! Then it has to be so (or else backlash).
    If the unknown writer has such then I want them to be free to create.

So can they bring her back: Yes. I feel the writers should be free to do so HOWEVER....
    'Willy Nilly' like: NO! Absolutely not!

I'm a 'Gwen' fan (in the case that I love majority of the Multiverse Gwen Stacys thus brand new Gwen Stacys made in new Multiverses have an instant advantage and high hopes for me to like them however not in the case of 616 who compared to the all the Multiverse Gwen Stacys presented she is actually on my personal lower end of 'Gwen Stacy' favorites rankings) but I don't want her to be used so shamefully or 'just because'.
    She (and any character used) must be able to bring something, effectively fill in some important role (if not for Peter then maybe for another series/character somehow) and furthermore grow.

This as I wrote must be true for all characters. Even MJ (616 version whose majority of her Earth 616 history I find I like her thus not to happy with how she seems to act around Peter right now making me not liking her but wanting her to develop and used well right back to liking/loving her) if she does come back as a more long term cast again must bring something with her and even something new.
    I'm sad to write as far as the old cast of side characters made in the 60's in the Spider-Man comics the only few ones who to me brought something interesting in dynamic and was used in an effective way not involving Peter has been Aunt May in the Howard the Duck series and even Jameson in the Silk series. To me Aunt May during her short time on that series was far more effective, enjoyable, and had a nice chemistry with Howard then MJ has had with Tony currently and even Jameson has a nice chemistry with Cindy that I have enjoyed.

Plus sometimes good things do happen to good people. It's a fair (in that it's chaotic for all) world in terms of 'things happen'. How logical in 'things happen' in the world is mixed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Disagreed, her death is the other half of the lesson, Uncle Ben's death taught him the consequence if he didn't act, Gwen's death show him what happens when he did act.
    Agree to disagree. It was never meant to be a growing experience, it was just made up as a gimmick at the time that stuck. Ben is the true test of character and growth. Gwen's death was just shock factor. It became gospel just because of that reputation of it being an early and popular example of the shock factor tactic. The idea has a lot less substance than time has tried to give it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-23-2017 at 08:08 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Reading over the recent comments it feels less about why she can't return vs dying in the first place. Gwen Stacy of the 616 did die. It happened and that is a fact, in the canon, and history, and emotional punch to the characters.
    So that is cemented (unless they pull a OMD on that which then would take away such lessons/consequences posted above).

However those 'lessons' would remain with the characters even if she (Gwen Stacy's spirit/soul going from the afterlife back the 616 Earth thus not a clone/new character/soul) somehow did come back. What was learned won't be unlearned. If anything just reinforced how the characters might react.

Again 'THE' 616 Gwen Stacy retuning or not for me is purly if an AWESOME story and developments can happen with/for her and others. Something a writer can think up and find would be perfect for her.
    Not bring her back just to bring her back. It must have some weight/meat to it and a long term plans. Plus always help developments to the characters used (Gwen, Peter, anybody). The writer must think up the ideas/story and shout "EUREKA! I got the next The Visions (2015). In my head that involves and needs her"! Then it has to be so (or else backlash).
    If the unknown writer has such then I want them to be free to create.

So can they bring her back: Yes. I feel the writers should be free to do so HOWEVER....
    'Willy Nilly' like: NO! Absolutely not!

I'm a 'Gwen' fan (in the case that I love majority of the Multiverse Gwen Stacys thus brand new Gwen Stacys made in new Multiverses have an instant advantage and high hopes for me to like them however not in the case of 616 who compared to the all the Multiverse Gwen Stacys presented she is actually on my personal lower end of 'Gwen Stacy' favorites rankings) but I don't want her to be used so shamefully or 'just because'.
    She (and any character used) must be able to bring something, effectively fill in some important role (if not for Peter then maybe for another series/character somehow) and furthermore grow.

This as I wrote must be true for all characters. Even MJ (616 version whose majority of her Earth 616 history I find I like her thus not to happy with how she seems to act around Peter right now making me not liking her but wanting her to develop and used well right back to liking/loving her) if she does come back as a more long term cast again must bring something with her and even something new.
    I'm sad to write as far as the old cast of side characters made in the 60's in the Spider-Man comics the only few ones who to me brought something interesting in dynamic and was used in an effective way not involving Peter has been Aunt May in the Howard the Duck series and even Jameson in the Silk series. To me Aunt May during her short time on that series was far more effective, enjoyable, and had a nice chemistry with Howard then MJ has had with Tony currently and even Jameson has a nice chemistry with Cindy that I have enjoyed.

Plus sometimes good things do happen to good people. It's a fair (in that it's chaotic for all) world in terms of 'things happen'. How logical in 'things happen' in the world is mixed.
    I like your post.

How do you feel about the revisions over the years impacting the original story?

Think a lot of the why can't they bring her back comes from Marvel claiming it's a story of biblical proportions while strip-mining it until nothing is left but a dead girl from New York - and the easiest way to bring back a bystander is to not have them die in the first place

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I think Gwen's death is pretty much one of the most defining moments of Spider-Man's mythology. I mean, if she came back for good, it would sort of ruin the memory of that story and the lessons that it taught Peter.