Page 28 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Gone with the wind was one of the biggest movie of that year crushing wizard of oz! It was a huge hit. They talk about it on the wizard of oz dvd extras.

Oscars that year. Oz did win best song!

The uk first screening had a parade for the film!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Minor disagreement. It's on the list, but almost never considered THE greatest. It is also controversial in it's apologetics and portrayal for slavery in the South.
    Whenever I hear any film listed as THE greatest of all time, people are typically talking about Citizen Kane. Those who aren't tend to be claiming that it is The Seventh Seal.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    Whenever I hear any film listed as THE greatest of all time, people are typically talking about Citizen Kane. Those who aren't tend to be claiming that it is The Seventh Seal.
    Lol so glad I googled before I posted. I dont know why but when you said that Johnny Depp jumped in my head and I was thinking wsit and that weird shiity devil worshiper movie? Googled it it's the Ninth Gate lol my bad.

I will say when people makes those lists I feel so disconnected. I like Wizard of Oz but I cant make it through Gone with the wind or Citizen Kane. Something about acting in the old days just doesnt connect for me. Godfather and scarface are usually the only movies form before I was born that I can get into. Like watching Gone with the Wind and then I watch Deznel Washinton in Malcom X and it's hard for me to see even see how the actors are doing the same thing. I assume it's just my age. Weirdly I like Wizard of Oz though

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Minor disagreement. It's on the list, but almost never considered THE greatest. It is also controversial in it's apologetics and portrayal for slavery in the South.
    Just the same, I'm kind of glad it was made during a still-pretty-racist time in Hollywood. It covered up a lot of the reality of slavery, but also somewhat unintentionally exposed white attitudes in the south, oddly.

But hey if you really want to cringe, there are some "great' blackface movies from that era, too. Talk about nuts, I can't believe some of that stuff. Holiday Inn I am looking at you!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The Fanatic was a huge bomb.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Is it safe to call The Dead Don't Die a bomb? I could not find a production budget but you would think a movie with Bill Murray and Adam Driver only making 13.8 million dollars total is not what the studio making it hopped for at all. I saw a lot of advertising for this movie so it got a good marketing, but it just didn't seem to interest many people. Maybe they did make the movie for not a lot of money but even then with the amount of advertising it got 13.8 million is pretty low.

It's a Jim Jarmusch movie... I can't imagine commercial expectations were anything but tempered.

And I say that as a huge Jarmusch fan.

This thread is the first I have ever heard about this film, which tells me the PR campaign for it was......I'd say lacking, but perhaps not existing at all might be more accurate.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I heard about it plenty. I was actually kind of surprised how much I heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I heard about it plenty. I was actually kind of surprised how much I heard about it.
    That tells me there was a lot of ad buys, but poorly distributed across platforms. I could easily be wrong in that assessment, but that's what it looks like to me when taking into account what I am hearing.
    Dark does not mean deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    That tells me there was a lot of ad buys, but poorly distributed across platforms. I could easily be wrong in that assessment, but that's what it looks like to me when taking into account what I am hearing.
    I really like several of those names and haven't heard this until I saw it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Is it safe to call The Dead Don't Die a bomb? I could not find a production budget but you would think a movie with Bill Murray and Adam Driver only making 13.8 million dollars total is not what the studio making it hopped for at all. I saw a lot of advertising for this movie so it got a good marketing, but it just didn't seem to interest many people. Maybe they did make the movie for not a lot of money but even then with the amount of advertising it got 13.8 million is pretty low.

13.8 mil total?? It's a bomb. It just goes to show that there are very few movie stars nowdays. It's mostly about franchises.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

The Dead Don't Die didn't get a wide release , its opening weekend it was only in 613 theaters. The most theaters it seemed to get was 690 theaters. I'm gonna lean on that this film was done with a smaller budgeted deal and done that way. With Murray and others taking pay cuts to just do this.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Incredible Member

I saw the trailer maybe 3 times on TV and I don't think it ever showed up at my local theater.