Page 57 of 135 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Totally wrong on there being no rage with Gordon as Batman. It was pretty hated. This is just one example, I'm not painting with a wide brush here, but with Batman the rage is coming not because Luke Fox is black, its because he's not Bruce or Dick, the only character fans have accepted as taking over the cowl. Gordon was white and was pretty summarily rejected.
    I'm with Sacred on this (as usual). Yeah, there's some assholes out there who take issue with a PoC taking over a white hero's mantle. Racism does exist. But for the vast majority it's not the PoC that's the problem, it's the idea of the hero being replaced at all.

Go to the Superman board and you'll find plenty of people who are pissed off about the idea of Jon Kent being the new Superman. He's white, he's Clark's biological son, and people are still pissed about it. People hated Gordon Batman. People hated Artemis when she took over as Wonder Woman and they hated Kyle when he became GL. They also hated Jaime Reyes replacing Ted, Sam Alexander replacing Richard Rider, and a whole lot of people hated Kamala becoming the new Ms. Marvel because it meant Carol wouldn't be able to go back to the name and would remain Captain.

For some d-bags yeah, it's about race or gender or whatever. And that's BS. But for most, they just don't want their favorite characters replaced and race/gender/etc doesn't factor into it. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Sam Alexander (he's okay but I can take or leave him) but I am a real big fan of Jaime Reyes. Why? Because Jaime replaced a character I didn't care about (and no one did until Ted died, don't lie to yourselves!) but I was/am a real big fan of Richard Rider. Race doesn't factor into it at all.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    You know... If they are going to replace Bruce for Luke, who's going to be his Robin?
    If this is going to be an all together new timeline, Signal will probably end up being Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Nobody had an issue back then because they understood what STORY LINE meant. They chose to follow the story and see where it ends up. Generally with the replacement getting a new name and the original coming back.

Today-the vocal troll is mainly the loser who has not read a comic book since the 90s.
    It is someone who don't know comic book history.
    It's someone who looking for youtube revenue and hate speech gets them that.

That is the main group you saw go after Marvel. Because they could not tell you why they were mad about a certain book-that happened to star a POC.
    They mad up stuff constantly while harassing creators of color, gender & sexuality.

Dick & James Gordon took over as Batman-no rage.
    Winter Solider was Cap American-no rage.
    Doom called himself IRONMAN not Riri.

I did not see a book with a white replacement get stabbed, set on fire, eaten, peed on, colored out or flushed down a toilet. I saw that for many books with POC and especially WOMEN of color.

It's about RACE. Because those books should have gotten the same treatment. And books like Mosaic should NOT have because he did not replace anybody.

Also Cassandra & Kaldar took names no one was using. Just like Kamala. Yet who got attacked?

Oh Jaime "we want Ted" Reyes, Duke "we want a white sidekick" Thomas, Ryan "we want Ray" Cho, Sam "we want Rich" Alexander & Jason "I no longer exist" Rusch got backlash. What do they have in common with Ms marvel, Miles, Moon Girl, Riri Williams & Kate Bishop.

It's silly to think DC won't get that and thensome. Especially for those who think if this fail Dan loses his job. SO they REALLY have ammo to use.
    Comic Bloc archives still have the posts from when Morrison's was announced on Batman. Dick as Batman had a lot of rage with lots claiming they plan /they dropped the book.
    Gordon had rage though not as much as Dick. The rage against 5G hasn't been anything compared to the those two [Unless those sites had more members than Cbr]

They didn't like the fact that Bruce was going to be killeda and they raged against the idea that Batman can be anyone other than Bruce Wayne
    Also on Superherohype another site that still has the threads from those days.

These thing's are easy to verify since we still have the threads from a few comic forums.

You might view everything through race goggles but that doesn't mean the rest of the fans do. sure there are racist amongst comic readers but from the info contained on those two comic sites I mentioned people just don't care for batman getting replaced regardless of how Lilly white or black the replacement might be

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If Rich turns out to be wrong this will all be pretty funny.
    If its wrong I'll offer apologies to the community for taking it for face value too trustingly. At this stage I do still believe it based on what I'm seeing as build-up in the materials, but if its not true, I'll definitely own the voracity at which I condemned something that was never the case.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm with Sacred on this (as usual). Yeah, there's some assholes out there who take issue with a PoC taking over a white hero's mantle. Racism does exist. But for the vast majority it's not the PoC that's the problem, it's the idea of the hero being replaced at all.

Go to the Superman board and you'll find plenty of people who are pissed off about the idea of Jon Kent being the new Superman. He's white, he's Clark's biological son, and people are still pissed about it. People hated Gordon Batman. People hated Artemis when she took over as Wonder Woman and they hated Kyle when he became GL. They also hated Jaime Reyes replacing Ted, Sam Alexander replacing Richard Rider, and a whole lot of people hated Kamala becoming the new Ms. Marvel because it meant Carol wouldn't be able to go back to the name and would remain Captain.

For some d-bags yeah, it's about race or gender or whatever. And that's BS. But for most, they just don't want their favorite characters replaced and race/gender/etc doesn't factor into it. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Sam Alexander (he's okay but I can take or leave him) but I am a real big fan of Jaime Reyes. Why? Because Jaime replaced a character I didn't care about (and no one did until Ted died, don't lie to yourselves!) but I was/am a real big fan of Richard Rider. Race doesn't factor into it at all.
    There is also classic white characters coming back and taking their mantles from other white characters.

Look at the sheer fandom venom aimed at Barry Allen, and Barbara Gordon (from the fans of Stephl).

Mighty Member

You might view everything through race goggles
    And for good reason given that there are enough of those jerks around even if they're small percentage in comparison to other comic book fans who aren't bigots..as nicpicky as they can be all the same. 'Specially when neither of those groups don't tend to really be honest on how they feel or think towards any changes (or seemingly upcoming changes) what so ever aside from some exceptions here and there.

The Gordon as Batman thing...I mean, there were people who were against it, but Snyder was pretty clear from the get-go that it wasn't permanent and just something fun to read about for a bit.

In terms of succession stories, it seems like they're leaning more towards the permanent, capable, successor then the ones where the individuals taking the mantle were ultimatley just to service the story to ultimately say something about the "real" mantle holder of that identity.

Like, AzBats was very different in execution from how I am expecting them to handle Luke Fox as Batman. None of the four Supermen in Reign were seriously intended to replace Clark, but Jon seemingly is.

Mighty Member

If Rich turns out to be wrong this will all be pretty funny.
    Which goes back to what I said before in that BleedingCool's track record (or rumor accuracy) isn't always accurate and it's quite best not to treat it as such.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Gordon as Batman thing...I mean, there were people who were against it, but Snyder was pretty clear from the get-go that it wasn't permanent and just something fun to read about for a bit.
    When did he said that?

Like, AzBats was very different in execution from how I am expecting them to handle Luke Fox as Batman. None of the four Supermen in Reign were seriously intended to replace Clark, but Jon seemingly is.
    Exactly a good attitude for everyone to take given the circumstances if the rumors are true (real shame many posters here havn't thought to do the same).

Mostly its their DC track record that's really good. That doesn't mean 100% all the time, but the vast majority of the time. I don't keep up with Marvel news and independents so I don't know how on or off the mark they are there, but they pretty much had all this decade's DC big movements nailed. And again I see potential lining up with said rumors in the actual product right now. At least in regards to Batman and Superman, and those are the two properties in which there were details on the particular replacements. So to me that's at least some corroboration at the moment.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-09-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    When did he said that?
    I don't have an exact interview, but if you read any of his interviews around when Superheavy was ongoing, he didn't try to really promote this as a permanent status quo shift and was pretty honest about Bruce coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite883 View Post
    Which goes back to what I said before in that BleedingCool's track record (or rumor accuracy) isn't always accurate and it's quite best not to treat it as such.
    Yeah but Comicsbeat who has a former DC editor who may still have connections is saying the same thing.

Plus the recent Word Balloon ep that Bendis did seem to have Bendis acknowledging the rumors ...although I guess you can say he only acknowledged the timeline rumors.
    Last edited by kurenai24; 12-09-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Long speculative post incoming.

So Bleeding Cool have stated the 5G replacements are not the expected/obvious choices and while that's true in the most basic definition, the successors have very much been characters that would have been predicted based on their connection to the OG heroes, they wouldn't be our first or second guesses but we would have gotten to them eventually.

With Wonder Woman in particular the obvious choices would be to replace her with an Amazon or a descendant of a Greek god, like even if the treatment of Donna or the lack of appearances of Grace Choi makes them an unexpected option, them being Amazonian in some way makes them an obvious candidate. It's the same with another suggested candidate Atlantiades, she would be an unexpected choice b/c she's a new character but an obvious one b/c she's a greek god.

Now even though I think we need more anti-heroes or heroes who can get rough, I think it's very likely Artemis could be 5G's Wonder Woman b/c I think she's in a good position and she's obvious without being too obvious of an option, but ...what if... Viking Judge is Wonder Woman's replacement.

Yes, the same Viking Judge that was a part of Steve Orlando's The Unexpected comic, I know the dc comics wiki says she's dead but apparently she'll appear again in Wonder Woman #84/#750 which is finishing up Diana's Year of the Villain arc, now I guess the character could still be dead b/c there is no set time of when The Unexpected comic took place in the dc universe (I don't think) but why complicate matters.

All I know is the character had the best design out of The Unexpected cast of characters, and while she may not be connected to Diana, amazons, or greek mythology, I do think she share similarities with Diana, the obvious one being that they would both be connected to real life mythology, in Viking Judge's case it's Norse mythology; they're also both warrior women who rock armor and cool weapons.

While I have seen similar things in anime usually with demon or demon slayer ancestry being the common theme, I still would be interested in reading how Agnes Allen feels about sharing a body with her ancestor Turid Goldenaxe or not being in control of her body during superheroics, there is untapped story potential in learning about Agnes ancestry and bringing in Norse mythology, we could even go mythical with elves and dwarves if DC wants to.

This character would be another power house female character that won't retread the same old amazon and greek god stuff, and yeah greek gods are more prominent in DC and norse gods are more prominent in Marvel but I don't care, b/c in both Marvel and DC's cases the mythology is the backdrop/window dressing and they cherry pick which gods they like best and want to use.

There was also a part in Orlando/Sook's interview about the "The Unexpected" on the dc comics website that caught my eye in regards to Viking Judge; Sook is talking about designing Viking Judge's street clothes even though we never got to see them, and also talking about bridging the gap between a New York glam girl and a viking terror even though we never got to see the former. I know things change in terms of writing and story, and I don't quite remember if this book had issues cut or not and while I do know when this interview was posted, I don't know when it took place but in all three cases Sook is very much aware that the character of Viking Judge is dead or will be dead, so it would brings into question why he put so much thought and detail into this particular character knowing she was going to die in the first issue, he certainly gave a typical look to the Orck character who also died in the first issue.

I also remember Steve Orlando saying Firebrand next to Neon is one of the most exciting new heroes in the book, idk if he said that b/c he killed 2 out of the 4 heroes in the first issue or if he believed that irregardless but that also brings into question why Orlando is not using the Firebrand character, I mean these are his characters and Orlando can come up with a multitude of reasons to insert them into a story so he could have inserted this oh so exciting character into Wonder Woman instead of Viking Judge.

Oh damn, I just realized Viking Judge as the new Wonder Woman is such a good and (actually) unexpected idea that DC won't have thought of it and I will be disappointed when Grace Choi and Viking Judge are not chosen as Diana's successor.

Viking Judge was the character that made me pick up The Unexpected and they killed her immediately.

Pretty sure the main purpose of 5G is to boost the Black Label brand by moving all the big heroes to it. With vertigo gone, I’m sure they want that label to succeed. The main continuity sales will probably eventually fall before too long, but even that will probably not be as bad as some are predicting. A relaunch and a black Batman will get at least a fair bit of publicity. I’m not looking forward to it, but I can see what they’re going for.