View Poll Results: Who wins the worst code-name contest?

Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spoiler

8 4.71%
  • Batwing

8 4.71%
  • Orphan

41 24.12%
  • Signal

33 19.41%
  • Drake

76 44.71%
  • Other - specify in comments

4 2.35%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    The character is called TIM DRAKE... Drake would be a better option for someone that has not Drake as surname.
    Agreed. There's a reason Gwen Stacy wasn't actually called Spider-Gwen, and called herself Spider-Woman (and now Ghost-Spider) instead. Tim's secret identity isn't going to last long if he's using his surname as a codename!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

IMO, Drake is the winner or rather the loser here.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

"Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot. I need a name to strike fear into them. I know! I'll call myself the Orphan!"

Yeah, it just doesn't work.

As for Drake, it follows in the line of bad code-names after the Green Hornet's Kato. As far as I know, Kato was the first costumed character to use his own name as his "secret" identity.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Red Robin. Thankfully, Tim's left that name behind and is now Drake.
    Yeah, I actually never liked the Red Robin name. I’m actually okay with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Agreed. There's a reason Gwen Stacy wasn't actually called Spider-Gwen, and called herself Spider-Woman (and now Ghost-Spider) instead. Tim's secret identity isn't going to last long if he's using his surname as a codename!
    While true people in the comicverse are notoriously oblivious when it comes to secret identities.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Mighty Member

Ric has a better codename than Tim. Poor Tim Duck. Being defeated by Ric removes you from the Best Robin race.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Wow, what the hell? Since when did Tim start running around with his last name as a superhero name? What comics has he been appearing in lately?
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Wow, what the hell? Since when did Tim start running around with his last name as a superhero name? What comics has he been appearing in lately?
    Young Justice #8 iirc, although we're not sure if Drake is confirmed or not.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member

The Red Robin comes Bob Bob Bobbing along on a wave of Fatty carbs to claim that honor.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    While true people in the comicverse are notoriously oblivious when it comes to secret identities.
    Agreed. The general population in comic books tend to be idiots and a lot of heroes, especially Bruce, don't seem to be very good at the secret ID thing (that's why I kinda wish more of them went for the Marvel or Tokusatsu approach where most heroes' identities aren't a secret). I am convinced Commissioner Gordon already knows and just doesn't say anything. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to notice the pattern of new Robins showing up every time Bruce Wayne picks up a new stray XD

And let's not get into how compromised he'll be if he and Selina do end up getting married. Unless he keeps the marriage a secret from the public.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
    Yeah, I actually never liked the Red Robin name. I’m actually okay with this.
    Red Robin was always dumb and made Tim look like he couldn't let go of the Robin name after Damian came along. But I'll take it over Drake.
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-14-2019 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    He actually took Red Robin from Jason (Jason got the name when he, Donna, and Kyle Rayner were doing that whole multiversal travel thing. Ended up on an Earth where that Jason never came back, but that Bruce ended up killing Joker and teamed up with Jason and...

You get the idea.
    No, It came from Dick in Kingdom Come.

Also why put Spoiler on the poll, Stephs the best. Its also way more classic than the rest. As for my pick, I'm going with Signal although everyone seems to have forgotten its absurdity nowadays after inital backlash.
    "You can't be everywhere, you can't do it all"
    "I'm not Batman, I have friends."
    "But listen, call yourself Bat-Chick, Knightbat, or Black Robin- the point is, don't forget- you have a family."
    "You don't need me. This is a job for.........Alfred!" -Tim Drake

"Dear Diary, I know what my next science project is going to be called: "My love/hate relationship with Gravity........And it was only then that young Stephanie truly realized gravity would forever be her enemy. "-Stephanie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Red obin View Post
    No, It came from Dick in Kingdom Come.

Also why put Spoiler on the poll, Stephs the best. Its also way more classic than the rest. As for my pick, I'm going with Signal although everyone seems to have forgotten its absurdity nowadays after inital backlash.
    Yeah I hate it when people qoute Countdown of all things as the creation of the Red Robin name and design. Such a dreadful book.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    "Criminals are a superstitious cowardly lot. I need a name to strike fear into them. I know! I'll call myself the Orphan!"

Yeah, it just doesn't work.

As for Drake, it follows in the line of bad code-names after the Green Hornet's Kato. As far as I know, Kato was the first costumed character to use his own name as his "secret" identity.
    Hilarious.
    I just love people trying to apply real life logic to superhero names.
    As if anyone in their right mind would feel fear for someone named Batman or Aquaman. And let's not forget such awe-inspiring names as Mr. Terrific or the Question.
    Superhero names are inherently silly. You have to have a little suspension of disbelief to accept them being a thing. And if you do that for one name, you have to do that for all of them.
    #EmmaWasRight

Quote Originally Posted by NexusTenebrare View Post
    Hilarious.
    I just love people trying to apply real life logic to superhero names.
    As if anyone in their right mind would feel fear for someone named Batman or Aquaman. And let's not forget such awe-inspiring names as Mr. Terrific or the Question.
    Superhero names are inherently silly. You have to have a little suspension of disbelief to accept them being a thing. And if you do that for one name, you have to do that for all of them.
    I mean yeah most superhero names are silly but some are definitely "sillier" than others. You don't have to be okay with one silly name just because you're okay with another. By that logic, Tim could name himself Chickadee and nobody should dislike that. Because superhero names are inherently silly, right?
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-14-2019 at 07:40 PM.

It’s not an issue of being silly but blatantly unoriginal. Some of these names are like walking into a room and seeing a lamp, and then calling yourself the Lamp. They are just taking known Batman things and parts of Batman’s mythos and using them as names.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-14-2019 at 02:58 PM.