Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 21272829303132 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Has anyone in the franchise ever actually died from falling?

Mace Windu is still dead. And hopefully stays that way.

But I agree about Tech. Until S3 confirms his death in some meaningful way I'm not assuming anything.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post

But I agree about Tech. Until S3 confirms his death in some meaningful way I'm not assuming anything.
    I don't know, Sam Jackson as old man Mace Windu who perhaps doesn't even remember his past sounds like it could be fun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Ah that's true. He might be the only one though.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't know, Sam Jackson as old man Mace Windu who perhaps doesn't even remember his past sounds like it could be fun.
    Who doesn't love Sam Jackson? And we never see his body or get confirmation that he's dead. Not hard to believe a Jedi Master survived the fight and the fall either; we've seen less experienced and less powerful Jedi do much the same. But I really hope that's not the case. Mace is dead, and should stay dead.

I'd actually very much appreciate it if Disney made a list of the Jedi who survived Order 66, and set that **** in stone. I'm fine with a small handful of Jedi surviving the purge, but it needs to be a very limited, very short list.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I'd actually very much appreciate it if Disney made a list of the Jedi who survived Order 66, and set that **** in stone. I'm fine with a small handful of Jedi surviving the purge, but it needs to be a very limited, very short list.
    Feels like that's what Wookiepedia is for .

But they probably don't want a hard list just because it would hold them back.

Think a few show up in the Marvel comics. Luke meets a few but they're pretty much not full Jedi (except a ghost Jedi from High Republic) and I think it's unclear when he meets Ashoka.

Josastu Nu (The Jedi librarian) and Eeth Koth (The original Zabrak council member-Agen Kolar looks similar but is a different character who is killed by Palpatine) both survive but Vader eventually deals with them.

There's Ashoka, Obi-Wan and Yoda of course.

It's unclear I think whether the bodies frozen in the fortress are from the Temple conquest or later kills.

Pretty much all of the Inquisitors I think are ex-Jedi who made some deal with the Empire/turned to the dark side or something like that.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But they probably don't want a hard list just because it would hold them back.
    Which is why they need it. Some creators need someone/thing to rein them in and contain their worst instincts. Lucas himself is one of them. Sometimes, if not held back, a creator/franchise will just hit a successful, popular element over and over until it becomes a weight that drags the whole thing down. I'm not saying Star Wars and the Jedi who survive 66 are that kind of problematic or anything, don't get me wrong. But a enforced limit on the survivors of Order 66 isn't a bad thing, and some of those slots can be left open for new characters to eventually fill. But the limit will help ensure a degree of quality control. If you're godfathering the franchise, and you know you can only have X characters, you'll be more inclined to make each one count. Right? That's what I'd do, anyway.

Besides, how big was the Jedi population at the end of the Clone Wars? Decimated by years of constant fighting, but there were probably still thousands of Jedi out there when Palpatine made his move. Taking all the characters we've met who survived that night, including Inquisitors and such, we've got dozens when there's room for a hundred y'know? Plenty of creative freedom, and an incentive to make the most of a finite space.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    It's unclear I think whether the bodies frozen in the fortress are from the Temple conquest or later kills.

Pretty much all of the Inquisitors I think are ex-Jedi who made some deal with the Empire/turned to the dark side or something like that.
    Can't forget Kannan. Any word on him showing up as a Force ghost, or in flashback or something, in Ashoka?

Oh and Cal Kestist, or however you spell his name. That game is treated as canon right?

I've wondered about those Jedi in amber. I'm guessing most of them came from Anakin's attack on the Temple, given the padawans and old Jedi there (like the one Ashoka had that "stolen lightsaber" adventure with). But I wonder why they were preserved? Alive or dead, what purpose is there to keeping them buried below the Inquisitor HQ? I wonder if they were part of Palpatine's cloning experiments? Even beyond the "I wanna be immortal" stuff, the guy had an odd interest in the technology and we see that through things like the zillo beast, the clone army itself, etc.

What happened to that HQ anyway? Did it get blown up in a video game or something? Feels like I heard that. Wonder if those frozen Jedi were still under there?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yeah I forgot Caleb/Kanan and Cal. Cere Junda too.

As for the fortress (Mustafar's moon BTW), it gets damaged in both Fallen Order and Kenobi but not beyond repair. I think by the time of the OT most of the Inquisitors are dead or missing. Maybe the Knights of Ren used it and that's where they were in the first two sequel trilogy films.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Which is why they need it. Some creators need someone/thing to rein them in and contain their worst instincts. Lucas himself is one of them. Sometimes, if not held back, a creator/franchise will just hit a successful, popular element over and over until it becomes a weight that drags the whole thing down. I'm not saying Star Wars and the Jedi who survive 66 are that kind of problematic or anything, don't get me wrong. But a enforced limit on the survivors of Order 66 isn't a bad thing, and some of those slots can be left open for new characters to eventually fill. But the limit will help ensure a degree of quality control. If you're godfathering the franchise, and you know you can only have X characters, you'll be more inclined to make each one count. Right? That's what I'd do, anyway.

Besides, how big was the Jedi population at the end of the Clone Wars? Decimated by years of constant fighting, but there were probably still thousands of Jedi out there when Palpatine made his move. Taking all the characters we've met who survived that night, including Inquisitors and such, we've got dozens when there's room for a hundred y'know? Plenty of creative freedom, and an incentive to make the most of a finite space.
    There were a lot of Jedi in Clone Wars .

I dunno, I kind of get it, but I just don't see creators limiting themselves to a hard list for creative purposes when they can just as well create a new character when needed. I guess it does beg the question where all these surviving Jedi ended up but I assume (especially in the case of somebody like Cal) they plan to address those at some point.
    Can't forget Kannan. Any word on him showing up as a Force ghost, or in flashback or something, in Ashoka?
    It would not surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    As for the fortress (Mustafar's moon BTW), it gets damaged in both Fallen Order and Kenobi but not beyond repair. I think by the time of the OT most of the Inquisitors are dead or missing. Maybe the Knights of Ren used it and that's where they were in the first two sequel trilogy films.
    That fortress was on Mustafar's moon? I didn't know that. Well that helps explain why it had such limited defenses in Kenobi; you really would have to be insane to attack that place with Vader's home right next door.

Do we know what happened to the Inquisitors? Far as I know they're all dead and gone by the time Luke rolls up, so that nine year stretch between Obi-Wan's show and New Hope must have been pretty grueling for them. But I can't imagine what would have wiped them out at that point, unless it was Vader/Palpatine themselves. Which seems entirely likely, but I've never heard anything official one way or another.

So those frozen Jedi could still be buried under the fortress. Hmm. I wonder if there are plans for them, or if they were included just for the gut-punch of Obi-Wan stumbling upon them?

Crossed my mind the other night that if those Jedi are alive (for reasons?) and still in stasis, that'd be a hell of a post-sequel story to tell. Somebody finds them in the abandoned fortress, frees them, and suddenly there's dozens of pre-Empire, orthodox Jedi in the galaxy again.....like a Captain Amerca "man out of time" tale.

I'd watch it, anyway.

I dunno, I kind of get it, but I just don't see creators limiting themselves to a hard list for creative purposes when they can just as well create a new character when needed. I guess it does beg the question where all these surviving Jedi ended up but I assume (especially in the case of somebody like Cal) they plan to address those at some point.
    That's the thing; you can have both. Let's say the studio decides that a hundred Jedi survive the immediate aftermath of Order 66. How many survivors do we know about? A couple dozen? Plenty of room for new characters and survivors to be created and introduced, so nobody's creative freedom is really being limited and it'd take so long to fill that list up that by the time Lucasfilm is done, nobody will want more "66 survivor" stories anyway. All my suggestion does is raise the question "we only have so much room, is this character/story good enough to include?" It's just quality assurance, and might be more common than you imagine.

The franchise keeps walking back on certain elements, twisting things up to accommodate whatever new story they want to tell, sometimes to the (thus far relatively minor) detriment of the larger continuity and franchise. We already have to apply a liberal amount of "a certain point of view" to stuff from the original films, which hasn't always gone down smoothly with fans. A limit on Order 66 survivors does nothing except ensure that this particular thing won't get twisted beyond recognition. I mean, how many "Ashoka isn't *really* a Jedi so Yoda didn't *technically* lie" twists do we need?

And sure, a list means that creators don't have limitless options. They don't anyway. They're working in an established franchise and already have to color (more or less) inside the lines. So my suggestion isn't really limiting them any more than they already were.

Back when I did freelance art, I had to work around stuff like this even when it was my own original content (clients still had parameters I had to stick with for them to publish) and I never really felt like it was holding me back.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-04-2023 at 10:22 AM.

~ Black Panther.

That's the thing; you can have both. Let's say the studio decides that a hundred Jedi survive the immediate aftermath of Order 66. How many survivors do we know about? A couple dozen? Plenty of room for new characters and survivors to be created and introduced, so nobody's creative freedom is really being limited and it'd take so long to fill that list up that by the time Lucasfilm is done, nobody will want more "66 survivor" stories anyway. All my suggestion does is raise the question "we only have so much room, is this character/story good enough to include?" It's just quality assurance, and might be more common than you imagine.

The franchise keeps walking back on certain elements, twisting things up to accommodate whatever new story they want to tell, sometimes to the (thus far relatively minor) detriment of the larger continuity and franchise. We already have to apply a liberal amount of "a certain point of view" to stuff from the original films, which hasn't always gone down smoothly with fans. A limit on Order 66 survivors does nothing except ensure that this particular thing won't get twisted beyond recognition. I mean, how many "Ashoka isn't *really* a Jedi so Yoda didn't *technically* lie" twists do we need?

And sure, a list means that creators don't have limitless options. They don't anyway. They're working in an established franchise and already have to color (more or less) inside the lines. So my suggestion isn't really limiting them any more than they already were.

Back when I did freelance art, I had to work around stuff like this even when it was my own original content (clients still had parameters I had to stick with for them to publish) and I never really felt like it was holding me back.
    I guess theoretically they could come up with a hard number and just wait until they've created enough characters to fulfill said number .

I think it probably helps that most Order 66 survivors we've been introduced to have eventually bought it.

Mighty Member

That fortress was on Mustafar's moon? I didn't know that. Well that helps explain why it had such limited defenses in Kenobi; you really would have to be insane to attack that place with Vader's home right next door.
    Yep, Fortress Inquisitorious is on Nur, which is the major moon of Mustafar. Which means Castle Vader is a brief shuttle ride away. As Cal Kestis learned in Jedi Fallen Order, though he lived to tell the tale.

Do we know what happened to the Inquisitors? Far as I know they're all dead and gone by the time Luke rolls up, so that nine year stretch between Obi-Wan's show and New Hope must have been pretty grueling for them. But I can't imagine what would have wiped them out at that point, unless it was Vader/Palpatine themselves. Which seems entirely likely, but I've never heard anything official one way or another.
    I'm not as well versed in the multimedia universe as I used to be, I've long since given up the novels save for rare exceptions and I can't stand the comics anymore. But I don't think we have any explicit fate for the Inquisitors as a group.

Though, speaking purely for myself, I like to think that their end came with Vader hearing two words for the first time. "Luke Skywalker." 'Cause Vader isn't taking any chances where his boy is concerned.

I guess theoretically they could come up with a hard number and just wait until they've created enough characters to fulfill said number .
    That's all I suggest. Just to help ensure that it doesn't get out of hand.

I think it probably helps that most Order 66 survivors we've been introduced to have eventually bought it.
    They kind of have to, for the original story to make any sense. Dead, lost, or cut off from the Force forever. Those are basically the options.

Though, speaking purely for myself, I like to think that their end came with Vader hearing two words for the first time. "Luke Skywalker." 'Cause Vader isn't taking any chances where his boy is concerned.
    It's a fairly likely outcome, honestly. Assuming the Inquisitors were still active at all by the time Luke left Tatooine I can absolutely see Vader killing them.

Can also see Palpatine killing them to ensure Vader doesn't use them against him.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-05-2023 at 08:07 AM.

~ Black Panther.

I think like 98% of the canon Inquisitors have pretty much been killed off or pulled a Reva. I think there might be like 1-2 whose fates are still unconfirmed.
    That's all I suggest. Just to help ensure that it doesn't get out of hand.
    Some would argue it's already gotten to that point .

"I am your sister" didn't quite have the same impact as "I am your father" since we barely know whatsername. I hope we get real answers next season and a resolution to Omega's arc. It's interesting that they only wanted her as leverage rather than for her genetics. Maybe they thought it would make her too much like Grogu, but the whole cloning thing has just become such a big part of SW at this point. (or the points in time we're getting now)

I think like 98% of the canon Inquisitors have pretty much been killed off or pulled a Reva. I think there might be like 1-2 whose fates are still unconfirmed
    That's what I figured.

Maybe any who are left unaccounted for could jump ship from the Sith/Empire to another group, like the Dathomiri Witches or something. Though I'd prefer all of them to be dead by the time Luke leaves Tatooine.

Some would argue it's already gotten to that point .
    Exactly. Hence my suggestion of a list.

We already have to make a lot of accommodations, trying to justify the discrepancies between prequel-era stuff and original trilogy. Is it really wise to let creators keep doing whatever they want, even if that threatens to add more discrepancies the franchise will have to work around and make excuses for?

~ Black Panther.