Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Marvel needs a new universe

The continuity in Marvel is really, really, all over the place. I have been reading comics since I could read, but being in my early 20s, I can imagine anyone new to comics in general would have no idea where to start or what is going on between the vast amount of titles and series', overlapping and retconning themselves and the Earth-616 continutiy everywhere you look.
    What I think Marvel ought to do, is start fresh with a new continuity, the same intention behind starting the Ultimate Universe, but without the intention to destroy that universe/drag some of its original characters into Marvel Prime.
    What would you like to see in a new timeline, not as a joke universe but not a part of the multiverse with only one stark difference?

Honestly too bad Ultimate Universe met such an awful end. It had so much potential and a lot of comic books under it were really cool. Too bad it all crushed under its own weight.

What would I want from this new "universe"?
    1) Real consequences. If character is dead- they are dead. Done. No ressurections, no comebacks. Thank you, I don't need Green Goblin been ressurected every Tuesday. I know it's tricky, especially with characters like Phoenix presented, but still.
    2) Quality over quantity. I want only the best new stories, not "publish as many series as possible".
    3) Less events. Honestly, I am sick of them. I am not reading them anymore. Keep telling the stories, not promoting "the next big thing that will change the comic books forever".
    4) Less edginess (compared to Ultimate comic books). I am okay with fresh decisions and modern directions, but let's not forget what makes these characters unique and loveable. I would call it "say no to Wolverine' hot claws".
    5) Heart. I want writers to write about characters as they are real people with real problems. Not just them saving the world, but having problems, relationships etc. This is important part for me. That's why Ultimate Spider-Man worked so well for me and many other people- it almost feels like some manga.
    6) Don't be afraid to change some things, just remember #4
    7) Whole universe should work as a whole. Ask Hickman to draw some graphics and schemes for you. It shouldn't be just a series of comic books- all the stuff should work in synchronization with each other and in perfect balance. Just lay the foundation first. Space stuff / Mutant Stuff / FF / Spidey Stuff / Magic Stuff etc etc. you don't have to launch 50 books all at once- but you need some sort of direction and characters in mind to begin with. Again- Ultimate Universe worked pretty fine, they introduced just a handful of X-Men and then they kept introducing some new (even if they did some of them pretty dirty AHEM AHEM gambit AHEM).
    8) No renumbering and relaunching, for Christ sake. Start with # 1 and aaaaall the way towards the end. No "All-New All-Different Extra Special We Finally Got Decent Writer On This Title" garbage. This is confusing.
    9) Get some decent writers. Give them some freedom (it's not main 616 Universe). Let them tell the stories. Just check from time to time it's not another "Colossus does drugs", okay?
    Last edited by Dinosaur Hulk; 10-12-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They tried it with the ultimate universe. Marvel's just focusing on their Marvel Cinematic Universe and trying to make the 616 ressemble it. I think anyone who gets into comics now will get used to the continuity errors made by writers who put their writing before anyone else's to make their story work.

The same mess will happen with any new universe. You can watch YouTube and have them explain it to you.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    Honestly too bad Ultimate Universe met such an awful end. It had so much potential and a lot of comic books under it were really cool. Too bad it all crushed under its own weight.

What would I want from this new "universe"?
    1) Real consequences. If character is dead- they are dead. Done. No ressurections, no comebacks. Thank you, I don't need Green Goblin been ressurected every Tuesday. I know it's tricky, especially with characters like Phoenix presented, but still.
    2) Quality over quantity. I want only the best new stories, not "publish as many series as possible".
    3) Less events. Honestly, I am sick of them. I am not reading them anymore. Keep telling the stories, not promoting "the next big thing that will change the comic books forever".
    4) Less edginess (compared to Ultimate comic books). I am okay with fresh decisions and modern directions, but let's not forget what makes these characters unique and loveable. I would call it "say no to Wolverine' hot claws".
    5) Heart. I want writers to write about characters as they are real people with real problems. Not just them saving the world, but having problems, relationships etc. This is important part for me. That's why Ultimate Spider-Man worked so well for me and many other people- it almost feels like some manga.
    6) Don't be afraid to change some things, just remember #4
    7) Whole universe should work as a whole. Ask Hickman to draw some graphics and schemes for you. It shouldn't be just a series of comic books- all the stuff should work in synchronization with each other and in perfect balance. Just lay the foundation first. Space stuff / Mutant Stuff / FF / Spidey Stuff / Magic Stuff etc etc. you don't have to launch 50 books all at once- but you need some sort of direction and characters in mind to begin with. Again- Ultimate Universe worked pretty fine, they introduced just a handful of X-Men and then they kept introducing some new (even if they did some of them pretty dirty AHEM AHEM gambit AHEM).
    8) No renumbering and relaunching, for Christ sake. Start with # 1 and aaaaall the way towards the end. No "All-New All-Different Extra Special We Finally Got Decent Writer On This Title" garbage. This is confusing.
    9) Get some decent writers. Give them some freedom (it's not main 616 Universe). Let them tell the stories. Just check from time to time it's not another "Colossus does drugs", okay?
    It was so good when it was good, but then something changed where Marvel thought the Ultimate line was one where writers can just add shock & awe (tm) and that completely borked the line.
    But in the beginning when they were building the universe it was heavenly.

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    They tried it with the ultimate universe. Marvel's just focusing on their Marvel Cinematic Universe and trying to make the 616 ressemble it. I think anyone who gets into comics now will get used to the continuity errors made by writers who put their writing before anyone else's to make their story work.

The same mess will happen with any new universe. You can watch YouTube and have them explain it to you.
    Yeah unfortunately I think this is where it's at.

Disney/Marvel is focused on corporate synergy and the 616 will be a mirror or the MCU sooner than later.

I mean we saw it with organic web shooters, leather clad X-men, and now it is on hyperdrive.

Ultimate Member

I wouldn't mind a universe where characters age normally and deaths mostly remain. But without extreme shock and widespread deaths. Basically what Ultimate Marvel could've been

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    I wouldn't mind a universe where characters age normally and deaths mostly remain. But without extreme shock and widespread deaths. Basically what Ultimate Marvel could've been
    Kinda like the "Life Story" series'?

We had the Spidey one and currently there is the Fantastic Four one happening now.

I think it would be cool seeing an entire Universe that is interconnected that is like that. It would be cool because writers can pick an era and write a story, but (and a very big but) there needs to be an editor that keeps track of continuity so everything matches up.

In some ways I think I’d prefer some extended “What if” stories.

Just start with an outstanding creative team, with an idea for a particular character (or team)….and let them run with it, in its own separate continuity…let them tell the story, however long, and then once finished, that’s it.

Basically use the DC All Star approach….All Star Superman was an outstanding success, All Star Batman entertaining….but there was no connecting continuity.

Is that effectively what the “Life Story” approach is?

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    In some ways I think I’d prefer some extended “What if” stories.

Just start with an outstanding creative team, with an idea for a particular character (or team)….and let them run with it, in its own separate continuity…let them tell the story, however long, and then once finished, that’s it.

Basically use the DC All Star approach….All Star Superman was an outstanding success, All Star Batman entertaining….but there was no connecting continuity.

Is that effectively what the “Life Story” approach is?
    Yeah kind of, except the gimmick is that in Life Story each issue is a new decade in the hero's life; so issue 1 is the 1960's, issue 2 is 1970's so on and so forth

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Yeah kind of, except the gimmick is that in Life Story each issue is a new decade in the hero's life; so issue 1 is the 1960's, issue 2 is 1970's so on and so forth
    Cheers. (That’s going to be interesting to see how they deal with ageing….clearly some characters like Thor or Ben Grimm are supposedly very long lived..but they are exceptions. By issue 5….most characters ought to be a bit less “dynamic”.)

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Kinda like the "Life Story" series'?

We had the Spidey one and currently there is the Fantastic Four one happening now.

I think it would be cool seeing an entire Universe that is interconnected that is like that. It would be cool because writers can pick an era and write a story, but (and a very big but) there needs to be an editor that keeps track of continuity so everything matches up.
    Something like that, or MC2, or a mix of those. A universe which actually evolves the characters we know, but remains interconnected. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the main guys like Spider-Man and the Avengers already being a bit older when it starts.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astronomy View Post
    The continuity in Marvel is really, really, all over the place. I have been reading comics since I could read, but being in my early 20s, I can imagine anyone new to comics in general would have no idea where to start or what is going on between the vast amount of titles and series', overlapping and retconning themselves and the Earth-616 continutiy everywhere you look.
    What I think Marvel ought to do, is start fresh with a new continuity, the same intention behind starting the Ultimate Universe, but without the intention to destroy that universe/drag some of its original characters into Marvel Prime.
    What would you like to see in a new timeline, not as a joke universe but not a part of the multiverse with only one stark difference?

If you could get into Marvel comics a short what, 10 or 15 years ago, with 40+ years of Marvel 616 continuity in place already, I don't see why a mere decade of continuity added on should suddenly make reading Marvel comics insurmountable. Geez, it's not rocket science. And there's this thing called Google that all the kids use nowadays. It's not like the old days when there was no collected editions and you had to work to find physical back issues if you missed a book on the news stand. Besides, you don't have to understand every single detail of what's come before to just pick up one of the numerous renumbered trades or floppies (start with #1) to enjoy a story.

Marvel doesn't need to reboot or rehash the New Universe / Ultimate Universe again. That's a DC thing.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

I see a lot of other universes in the current series’ being published.

Life Story
    The Marvels
    Marvels (Earth X prequel)
    Avengers of the Wastelands
    Spider-Man Nior
    Is Ultraman a thing?
    Then ANAD an extension of post AXIS

There have been a few reboots of continuity, upgrading Marvel to start in the year 2000, so for us old hands it’s jarring to think origins that started in the 1960’s, (and it’s 50 years of continuity), now happened in the 12 months from 2000 to 2001. But ignoring that, like we did from Civil War (2006) up to Dark Ages, you don’t miss anything with that upgrading, but this persistance of alternate reality series’ popping up and Jason Aaron’s Avengers from a million years ago, just distorts the waters. Why bring in all these different realities, unless it’s all heading somewhere and it gets to a common nexus to tie all of it in? Marvel comics is just stumbling from one Event to another, springing alternate realities ( Heroes Reborn like HOM) on us, and cascading through a series of new megalomaniacs one after the other, who are running the Earth.

I wish that the Marvel Universe settled down for a while, like a lazy autumn afternoon, like it did after John Byrnes Amazing Spider-Man in 2000. There seems to be too much Original Sin-type revelations sprung out on us recently. I don’t think it worked, making ANAD a distorted universe that wasn’t made right after Secret Wars - the magic was all skewed, Beyonder power was spread around the universe, the FF weren’t allowed in, Galactus was Inverted good, Eternity in chains, Black King sprung up from antiquity.

Just make mine marvel.
    Last edited by jackolover; 10-13-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur Hulk View Post
    2) Quality over quantity. I want only the best new stories, not "publish as many series as possible"
    I know that you had a much longer list, but this right here is all you really need. Marvel only has the talent to put out twenty-five to thirty superhero titles.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Earth 65 - Should have his own "Ultimate universe like" publications.

You can form the Avengers (Obviously having SpiderGwen) the Xmen with that Kitty Pryde/X23 mash up. and etc.

Don’t see why this would be necessary when the multiverse already exists.