Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Is The Watchmen as good as everyone says?

I am going to my comics shop today and the owner told me he had a Watchmen Graphic Novel. he told me this because I was talking about the movie last time I was there.

I really loved the movie. It is my second favorite Super Hero movie of all time. I know the ending in the comics is not the same as The movie. but for the most part is it kind of the same?

Are the comics as good as everyone says?

I just wanted to see if it is worth my time to pick up.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The comic is, without question, a superior experience compared to the film. And don't get me wrong here - I really liked the film also. You owe it to yourself to pick it up if you're that fond of the film.

If you ultimately like the trade, you should consider picking up Doomsday Clock also. You can enjoy it in full without facing the aggravating delays those of us that read it in installments did, and it is in my opinion the best comic book story of 2019.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I am going to my comics shop today and the owner told me he had a Watchmen Graphic Novel. he told me this because I was talking about the movie last time I was there.

I really loved the movie. It is my second favorite Super Hero movie of all time. I know the ending in the comics is not the same as The movie. but for the most part is it kind of the same?

It's certainly not my favorite book around(though I do love the pirate comic contained inside of it!) but it's definitely one of those books that is worth reading because it is a legitimate master work of the comics genre with real historical importance.

I'd say it really depends on what you're into. You're already familiar with the world and the basic plot and basically how it ends, so that sense of discovery will be lost. You can still get into the characterization and the artistry. And if you're into comics that are more than comics - that has something to say about superhero comic books as an artform and mindset then there's more than enough meat on the bone for you to chew on. If you're more into action and plot, it might not blow you away since you've seen the movie already. Although it might end up being a fun addendum to the movie from your perspective.

Thanks for the responses. I am going to go ahead and pick it up. I have some time the next couple days I hope to have it read by the end of Thursday. Will let you all know what I think.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Thanks for the responses. I am going to go ahead and pick it up. I have some time the next couple days I hope to have it read by the end of Thursday. Will let you all know what I think.
    Look forward to seeing your thoughts

I'm not really a fan, but I can see why it is popular and why it had the impact it did on the industry. Just not my cup of tea.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

BANNED

Maybe if you like that sort of thing, but I find I'm not interested in Watchmen because I'm just not interested in that type of thing. If you like the movie a lot, I'm confident you will really enjoy the comic, so in your case, it's worth getting.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Its quality shows across eras and is apparent even to those averse to that kind of story, I would say. I hope you enjoy it.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Of all the characters involved I like Nightowl and Rorschach the most. Don't like the show didn't use them or their legacy more. Still one hell of a book and a great show. The movie makes me cringe

Got back from the store a little bit ago. I picked up the trade and a couple other books. So my comic budget for the month is gone. I am going to sit down in a bit and start reading

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think it's a decent but overrated story. Plus the characters are rip-offs of the Charlton characters(i.e. Captain Atom, Nightshade, Blue Beetle, & Question).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Of all the characters involved I like Nightowl and Rorschach the most. Don't like the show didn't use them or their legacy more. Still one hell of a book and a great show. The movie makes me cringe
    I hear mixed reviews on the Movie. What about it did you not like?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I don't pay attention to what others said. I looked up a list of best comics of all time and it's at number one so I bought it. Here's why I think it's good, and yes, it's the best comic in my tiny collection.
    - The 9-panel system that shows the sequence of a scene
    - It also makes for a good comparison shot, such as Rorschach's Rorschach test and how he imagined the dog he brained
    - How far would you go to prevent war and would you risk all that for the integrity of your idealism
    - What makes a singular human being so special in a sea of millions, by someone who forgets what it feels to be human
    - When the mundane became precious when the world nearly ends or you discover something more important than your own personal bliss, portrayed across multiple issues by looking at the same characters just doing day to day stuff and how that develops.
    - Definitely better than the movie because of what it does with the medium in comparison to the movie. That sequential art in 9 panels per page. The movie to me is nothing special, movie-wise. They're not doing anything new or different compared to other movies.

Mighty Member

I think it's good, but I also think its been overhyped over the years to be more legendary than what it is.

It's fairly political if I recall, so you have to have an understanding of the politics of that era to get a full enjoyment out of it.

In short, it's worth the read, but am I expecting you to be totally blown away by an absolute classic, no.