Page 48 of 865 FirstFirst ... 384445464748495051525898148548 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    The Walking Dead(and other) compendiums are fantastic. Such good value, for a big chunk of comics. Only bad thing is that once you read it, like any big paperback book, the spine goes crinkly and it looks like a munted book on the shelf.
    My Invincible compendium's spine is not crinkly. I've read it on a table but it was opened wide.
    I had a top cow compendium too, but that was really crap, the Image ones are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    My Invincible compendium's spine is not crinkly. I've read it on a table but it was opened wide.
    I had a top cow compendium too, but that was really crap, the Image ones are much better.
    Maybe they've changed them, my Walking Dead went crinkly after one read.

Quote Originally Posted by Balakin View Post
    I have never heard a good thing about the Top Cow compendiums as far as build goes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohmshalone View Post
    I also wanted to ask: most of you seem to buy hardcovers over trades. I'm not ashamed to admit that I buy trades simply because they're cheaper (less money spent per booK = more books). But alot of you with more cash buy hardcovers. Is there a practical reason for this? Do trades start falling apart after a few years? I don't re-read the stuff I have much, but I may soon have a generation of nephews interested in pulling out my books. Was wondering if there's a specific reason why you guys seems to prefer hardcovers on your shelves.
    I only collect HC's, but that's because of the following:

1) It keeps my budget in line. If I jumped around collecting trades, singles, HC's, etc. My budget would be nuked. Also, I want some consistency in my collection.

2) Because I have a tight budget and limited space, I prefer quality over quantity. I used to only buy TPBs, but HCs are just better quality. When you have a nice HC, usually the paper is better, they can come oversized, and they just look so much better on the shelf.

3) I'm a tactile guy. I like the feel of HC's in my hands better than singles or TPBs. That's why I could never do digital. It just doesn't feel right to me. When you have a really good HC in your hands, like a quality Humanoids HC or Dark Horse, etc. it just feels awesome.

The only time I buy trades now is if I am certain there probably won't be a HC of it for a very long time, and it is a story I absolutely MUST read. But those are few and far between.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    3) I'm a tactile guy. I like the feel of HC's in my hands better than singles or TPBs. That's why I could never do digital. It just doesn't feel right to me. When you have a really good HC in your hands, like a quality Humanoids HC or Dark Horse, etc. it just feels awesome.
    This is a big thing for me too. There is a heft and scale to the big HCs that I find very appealing. I can enjoy reading a tpb if I have to of course, but my preference is definitely the HC format. And yes I agree, digital is pretty much a total non-starter for me. I do have some digital stuff, but I simply don't enjoy the format at all...

As far as shelf space goes, I'm about out myself right now. Still, that won't in any way alter or affect my purchasing decisions. I buy what I want. If it won't fit on a shelf, I'll sit it on the floor till I have more shelves. I hate the thought of buying a bunch of trades and then trying to upgrade to the HCs I really wanted later (especially when they've gone oop in the interim).
    Last edited by zevious zoquis; 05-24-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pud333 View Post
    I only collect HC's, but that's because of the following:

1) It keeps my budget in line. If I jumped around collecting trades, singles, HC's, etc. My budget would be nuked. Also, I want some consistency in my collection.

2) Because I have a tight budget and limited space, I prefer quality over quantity. I used to only buy TPBs, but HCs are just better quality. When you have a nice HC, usually the paper is better, they can come oversized, and they just look so much better on the shelf.

The only time I buy trades now is if I am certain there probably won't be a HC of it for a very long time, and it is a story I absolutely MUST read. But those are few and far between.
    Mmm, sounds like there's a real difference. Of course, I do own hardcovers, but I've always bought tpbs when there's an option of either the trade or the hardcover. I'll give some hardcovers a try and see if it sticks. Maybe it'll be akin to me not able to watch a DVD anymore since Blu-ray came along.

As for digital, I too spent quite a bit on Comixology last year, but I felt that: If I'm going to be spending so much on comics, I may as well physically own them. I DEFINITELY appreciate the artwork more when it's on paper. I'd like to say too that Comixology removing the option for apple users to purchase in-app was part of it, but no: I'm just not interested in digital nowadays. What's the point of paying such a high price for single issues, even if the comic is brand new?
    An unabashed DC Fanboy (who gives Marvel credit where credit is due).

Amazing Member

My new additions.. image.jpg

Cape Horn is huge !! Almost as big as Sixth Gun.. Doesn't fit into my book shelf

Question to those who've read Blacksad. Would you say it's "rated R" or "PG-13"?
    Sorry for the possibly odd question, appreciate any responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Question to those who've read Blacksad. Would you say it's "rated R" or "PG-13"?
    I would say it's rated T.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Maybe they've changed them, my Walking Dead went crinkly after one read.
    Would you say the Compendium was worth it? Or would you suggest hardcovers?

Quote Originally Posted by TomSlick View Post
    I have never heard a good thing about the Top Cow compendiums as far as build goes.
    I love me some top cow, but god damn are their compendiums bad. I treat my books with great care but after reading Witchblade Compendium v1 twice I don't wanna risk opening it again. The hardcovers aren't better quality for the extra cash. That being said I would have gotten the Cyberforce and Witchblade v3 compendiums. Just so I can big chunks I missed.
    The Wicked + The Divine. TMNT. Uncanny Avengers. Midnighter. IXth Generation. Daredevil. Morning Glories. Street Fighter. Fables. Uncanny X-Men. Bloodshot. Invincible. Ninjak. Mockingbird.

Incredible Member

Got my Archer & Armstrong Deluxe Edition Volume 1 today! Came with the Annihilaton Omnibus and Bloodshot Deluxe Edition Volume 1!

There's a nude animal woman at one point. No clue how to rate that.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucked View Post
    Would you say the Compendium was worth it? Or would you suggest hardcovers?

I love me some top cow, but god damn are their compendiums bad. I treat my books with great care but after reading Witchblade Compendium v1 twice I don't wanna risk opening it again. The hardcovers aren't better quality for the extra cash. That being said I would have gotten the Cyberforce and Witchblade v3 compendiums. Just so I can big chunks I missed.
    It is worth it, about half the price of buying the equivalent hardcovers. Probably one of the few mainstream series where there is such a big price difference between trades and oversized hardcovers. That being said if you want it in OHC the Hardcovers are pretty cheap too, just that the compendium is cheaper.

Similar to Brubaker/Philips books, but with animals so no idea. I would have said 16 or over, like Criminal, Sleeper etc.

Jeez. Finally caught up. Great work Martin transferring everything over, very well done. Haven't been buying much the past few weeks, couple books here and there, nothing major. Been updating my wardrobe actually haha....looking forward to Crawl Space though, maybe Red Star deluxe, and maybe Attack on Titan colossal edition too? I know it's softcover, but everyone raves about it, and I'll be adding Harbinger wars ohc to my wishlist...AND FINAL INCAL COMES OUT I'm not even ready for this. Wait. Yes I am. Not really...urrraggggh it's gonna be awesome

Spectacular Member

Saw that Crawlspace was the same size as the FA Library Edition so this was a blind buy, especially at its price on Amazon com!