Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    I can probably go to all of the post-return Barry Allen Flash stories and 90% of them have nothing to do with whether or not his parents are alive (other than maybe some references to his relationship with his captain). The notion that that detail affects every story is what is find odd.

I always go back to the people who got upset when Dick Grayson was no longer a former leader of the Titans, despite the fact that very few solo Nightwing stories actually depended on that. People are reading things in that are not really there.
    I can understand that, many times you can not be told of a retcon of that nature and the story doesn't change. But with the Flash, it's not the case. You'll run into the dead mom/jailed dad thing inevitably whenever his main villain, the Reverse Flash, appears. And when that's not happening, unrecognizable walking stereotype "Wally West" appears. Or "Bar-Torr". Or lame versions of the Rogues. The things people had been invested in, people who can't just "go with the flow" no matter which way it goes.

BANNED

Because he is invested in the story at hand. Reading about a super-hero beating up bad guys can be fun without having to get all deep into it.
    And it's always been story over character with me. It's one of the reasons why I was able to enjoy Cullen Bunn's Lobo. Was he a foul-mouthed, cigar smoking, walking 90's cliche? No and I didn't need him to be. I just liked what Bunn did with him.

I remember being taught, and I ultimately agreed, that character-driven stories are the best. I think that resonates with most people. It's why Game of Thrones is so popular, it's a big part of why Watchmen is such a classic, it's why the original Star Wars films are largely preferred over the prequels despite both being heavy on plot devices and universe-building. The characters feel like real people with distinct personalities.

For me, most DC characters are more than just a name, a powerset and a costume. They're also composed of stories, of history and of relationships. Remove any of those components, and they're not the same. One of the reasons I continue to read Green Lantern is because most of those pre-Flashpoint relationships between the various Lanterns are still there, in a form I recognize. With most other books, that's just not the case at all.

What DC did after Flashpoint was keep the name, powerset and costumes (more or less), but jettison the history and relationships, and still expect people to retain the same emotional investment they had before. Or else they just expected that people would keep reading and form new attachments, or the hypothetical new readers wouldn't care about the history and relationships, but would be happy to get in on the ground floor.

But it doesn't work. It took a few years, but I think that's becoming apparent now. Because all we have left are generic superhero stories as DC tries to repackage old concepts, or forge a new shared universe. Someone name the great new characters that have come out of the last four and a half years of DC Comics storytelling, or the standout storylines. Opinions will vary, but there's not much that's innovative that's come out of the freedom that was supposed to come from unshackling characters from decades of continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by andersonh1 View Post
    For me, most DC characters are more than just a name, a powerset and a costume. They're also composed of stories, of history and of relationships. Remove any of those components, and they're not the same. One of the reasons I continue to read Green Lantern is because most of those pre-Flashpoint relationships between the various Lanterns are still there, in a form I recognize. With most other books, that's just not the case at all.

What DC did after Flashpoint was keep the name, powerset and costumes (more or less), but jettison the history and relationships, and still expect people to retain the same emotional investment they had before. Or else they just expected that people would keep reading and form new attachments, or the hypothetical new readers wouldn't care about the history and relationships, but would be happy to get in on the ground floor.

But it doesn't work. It took a few years, but I think that's becoming apparent now. Because all we have left are generic superhero stories as DC tries to repackage old concepts, or forge a new shared universe. Someone name the great new characters that have come out of the last four and a half years of DC Comics storytelling, or the standout storylines. Opinions will vary, but there's not much that's innovative that's come out of the freedom that was supposed to come from unshackling characters from decades of continuity.
    Very well said.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

I can probably go to all of the post-return Barry Allen Flash stories and 90% of them have nothing to do with whether or not his parents are alive (other than maybe some references to his relationship with his captain). The notion that that detail affects every story is what is find odd.

I always go back to the people who got upset when Dick Grayson was no longer a former leader of the Titans, despite the fact that very few solo Nightwing stories actually depended on that. People are reading things in that are not really there.
    People connect to characters differently, tough.

If I like the Flash to be a legacy character, Barry Allen is not gonna cut it. I may recognize how good any given story is, but I won't enjoiy as much. If I want the Flash, in general, to be an upbeat character not motivated by tragedy, post-Rebirth ain't gonna cut it either - and hell, in this particular case, about half the stories or more touch on the subject.

If Roy Harper visits Wayne Mansion and doesn't talk to Dick Grayson at all, like they barely know each other, it makes loose interest in both.

I like the bigger universe, the relationships, the stories and the concepts; take that away, or simplify it too much, and for me personally, it doesn't have the same appeal; not even close.

And there's nothing wrong with it.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Vertigo Psychonaut ChaoticScholar's Avatar

Immortal Demon Joker.
    "People look at us and see the poor and the mad, but they’re looking at us through the bar of their cages.

There’s a palace in your head, boy.

Learn to live in it always. " -- Grant Morrison

Because he is invested in the story at hand. Reading about a super-hero beating up bad guys can be fun without having to get all deep into it.
    A story is only as good as it's characters. If the reader doesn't care about the characters but still likes the story, how does that make sense? Why read it in the first place if you don't care?

I'm not saying the story has to dive into a well of emotions and themes (though I prefer when stories do) but there has to be a reason you picked that hero's story other than hearing good things about it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Wally West
    The JSA
    Tim Drake
    Kon-El
    Shiva
    Richard Dragon
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    If I like the Flash to be a legacy character, Barry Allen is not gonna cut it. I may recognize how good any given story is, but I won't enjoy as much.
    I was pretty much done with the "legacy character" thing by the end of Wally's first run in 2006; I just wanted to get back to "Whirlwind Adventures of the Fastest Man Alive."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    I was pretty much done with the "legacy character" thing by the end of Wally's first run in 2006; I just wanted to get back to "Whirlwind Adventures of the Fastest Man Alive."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    And there's nothing wrong with that either.

And even if we got back to "Whirlwind Adventures of the Fastest Man Alive." - which happened a lot during Wally's tenure - you probably wouldn't enjoy as much as well because I know you have a certain attachment to Barry; whatever your reasons and preferences are.

There's also nothing wrong with that.

It's a given that a publisher - Marvel, DC or any other - won't ever be able to please everybody 100%. There MUST be a sweet spot, somewhere, though.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    People connect to characters differently, tough.

If I like the Flash to be a legacy character, Barry Allen is not gonna cut it. I may recognize how good any given story is, but I won't enjoiy as much. If I want the Flash, in general, to be an upbeat character not motivated by tragedy, post-Rebirth ain't gonna cut it either - and hell, in this particular case, about half the stories or more touch on the subject.

If Roy Harper visits Wayne Mansion and doesn't talk to Dick Grayson at all, like they barely know each other, it makes loose interest in both.

I like the bigger universe, the relationships, the stories and the concepts; take that away, or simplify it too much, and for me personally, it doesn't have the same appeal; not even close.

And there's nothing wrong with it.
    Absolutely not. I'm mainly responding to comments that someone like me is somehow less of a fan or something because we aren't sweating those details.
    Last edited by GlennSimpson; 02-08-2016 at 06:17 PM.

Incredible Member

Tim Drake, The Teen Titans, Earth 2 JSA, Wally West very disappointed in the new 52 versions.
    Last edited by Mister BoMan; 02-08-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Bleh, this site is freaking out on me.
    Last edited by FlashingSabre; 02-08-2016 at 07:59 PM.
    Cyclops was right

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RoyImpulse View Post
    It saddens me, too. Have we even seen Damage in New52?
    Nope,and he would be a good addition in this new universe.

Kon
    Bart
    Wally
    Grant
    Mgann
    And many more,bring em back,and the right way