Page 85 of 440 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,275 of 6586
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Steve Trevor was not screwed over by DC. He was still a character that was featured in Perez's run and is the Wonder Woman character with the second most appearances in media after Diana herself.
    I'm pretty sure the second would be Hippolyta

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Wonder Woman should act more like Greta Thunberg.
    *Everybody* should act more like Greta Thunberg.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    I'm pretty sure the second would be Hippolyta

Steve has been featured in the following:

Justice League animated

Lynda Carter Wonder Woman t.v. show

Superfriends

Brave and the Bold

Wonder Woman: 2009

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

David E. Kelley pilot

Wonder Woman live action movie

DC Super Hero Girls

Justice League War

Throne of Atlantis

Flashpoint Paradox

Gods and Monsters

The only one of these that Hippolyta has also appeared in are Brave and the Bold, Flashpoint, the Wonder Woman live action film, Justice League animated, DCSHG, the Justice League and the two Wonder Woman animated movies. The exclusion from Flashpoint is especially jarring given the comic it was based on revolved around her being killed by conspirators to start a war between Atlantis and Themyscira which also has the effect of making Diana far less sympathetic in the movie than she was in the comics. Steve is the first WW supporting character to be featured in the New 52 DCAU, is the only WW character period to show up in Gods and Monsters (since that version of WW isn't Diana or any actual WW character related to her story) and tends to get far more screen time than Hippolyta in WW solo adaptations. And Diana's relationship with Steve tends to be far more positive than her own with Hippolyta.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2019 at 08:21 AM.

Mighty Member

Steve has been featured in the following:

Justice League animated

Lynda Carter Wonder Woman t.v. show

Superfriends

Brave and the Bold

Wonder Woman: 2009

Wonder Woman: Bloodlines

David E. Kelley pilot

Wonder Woman live action movie

DC Super Hero Girls

Justice League War

Throne of Atlantis

Flashpoint Paradox

Gods and Monsters

The only one of these that Hippolyta has also appeared in are Brave and the Bold, Flashpoint, the Wonder Woman live action film, Justice League animated, DCSHG, the Justice League and the two Wonder Woman animated movies. The exclusion from Flashpoint is especially jarring given the comic it was based on revolved around her being killed by conspirators to start a war between Atlantis and Themyscira which also has the effect of making Diana far less sympathetic in the movie than she was in the comics. Steve is the first WW supporting character to be featured in the New 52 DCAU, is the only WW character period to show up in Gods and Monsters (since that version of WW isn't Diana or any actual WW character related to her story) and tends to get far more screen time than Hippolyta in WW solo adaptations. And Diana's relationship with Steve tends to be far more positive than her own with Hippolyta.
    When you start counting failed pilots its safe to say you're really nitpicking. Also the comics are the main form of media for Wonder Woman and Hippolyta's appearances there alone far outweight Steves and she is the only character outside of WW to always be featured in the story. So Hippolyta is definitely has the second most appearances. Which isn't really saying much since everyone else is always changed.

When you start counting failed pilots its safe to say you're really nitpicking. Also the comics are the main form of media for Wonder Woman and Hippolyta's appearances there alone far outweight Steves and she is the only character outside of WW to always be featured in the story. So Hippolyta is definitely has the second most appearances. Which isn't really saying much since everyone else is always changed.
    I was talking about adaptations not the comics but it seems I forgot to add "non-comics" to my original comment. My mistake.

Edit post: However, having tallied up the grand total of appearances of Steve and Hippolyta across the main continuities (Golden Age, Silver Age, post crisis, post flashpoint) as listed by the DC wikia it seems Steve has Hippolyta beat with 521 appearances to Hippolyta's 516.

So Steve does have overall more appearances in comics than Hippolyta.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2019 at 08:50 AM.

Mighty Member

I was talking about adaptations not the comics but it seems I forgot to add "non-comics" to my original comment. My mistake.
    No problem, understandable mistake.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 10-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder39 View Post
    She just goes into slow motion...not really "levitating"
    I don't think so. didn't seem like slow motion to me. She stayed in the air for a bit.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Edit post: However, having tallied up the grand total of appearances of Steve and Hippolyta across the main continuities (Golden Age, Silver Age, post crisis, post flashpoint) as listed by the DC wikia it seems Steve has Hippolyta beat with 521 appearances to Hippolyta's 516.

So Steve does have overall more appearances in comics than Hippolyta.
    How many of his appearances, especially in the comics, are really substantial though? Especially in the post-Crisis period. Like he makes appearances in the Jimenez runs, but its a couple of pages in each one so does that really count? In Perez he was more of a background character, a holdover from the old origin that didn't even need to be in the version as depicted in that run (Diana already won the contest and was in the process of leaving before he even crashed. What was even the point?). Hippolyta had much weightier appearances from Perez to Flashpoint overall.

Really though there aren't any winners here overall. Aside from Steve, the rest of the supporting characters who are really worth a damn (Hippolyta, Etta, the Wonder Girls, Ferdinand, a few notable Amazons like Artemis and Philippus, etc. the big exceptions being the Kapatelis women) really manage to stick around in some capacity, even if they are in other books or in the background. So it just means it's Steve's turn again to be important after a few decades of neglect. But they need to work on treating ALL the WW supporting cast as equally important and consistent. Them being unable to isn't a new problem.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I don't think so. didn't seem like slow motion to me. She stayed in the air for a bit.
    Not to mention, as I recall, her hair is definitively not moving in slow motion.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    How many of his appearances, especially in the comics, are really substantial though? Especially in the post-Crisis period. Like he makes appearances in the Jimenez runs, but its a couple of pages in each one so does that really count? In Perez he was more of a background character, a holdover from the old origin that didn't even need to be in the version as depicted in that run (Diana already won the contest and was in the process of leaving before he even crashed. What was even the point?). Hippolyta had much weightier appearances from Perez to Flashpoint overall.

Really though there aren't any winners here overall. Aside from Steve, the rest of the supporting characters who are really worth a damn (Hippolyta, Etta, the Wonder Girls, Ferdinand, a few notable Amazons like Artemis and Philippus, etc. the big exceptions being the Kapatelis women) really manage to stick around in some capacity, even if they are in other books or in the background. So it just means it's Steve's turn again to be important after a few decades of neglect. But they need to work on treating ALL the WW supporting cast as equally important and consistent. Them being unable to isn't a new problem.
    Well it isn't like his appearances in the Golden and Silver Ages were exactly unimportant. And he has also had more significant page time than Hippolyta since the New 52 started.

I will agree that the WW cast all needed to be treated equally. However, I can't really say Steve has been neglected the way the others have given his long use in the comics and other media. Donna, Artemis, Philippus, Nubia, the Kapatelis, the Sandsmarks have definitely been neglected and the fact that these are all women is riddled with unfortunate implications. Whatever else can be said about Perez, he at least understood the importance of focusing on Diana's relationships with other women.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 10-22-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well it isn't like his appearances in the Golden and Silver Ages were exactly unimportant. And he has also had more significant page time than Hippolyta since the New 52 started.

I will agree that the WW cast all needed to be treated equally. However, I can't really say Steve has been neglected the way the others have given his long use in the comics and other media. Donna, Artemis, Philippus, Nubia, the Kapatelis, the Sandsmarks have definitely been neglected and the fact that these are all women is riddled with unfortunate implications. Whatever else can be said about Perez, he at least understood the importance of focusing on Diana's relationships with other women.
    But there was a good 20 year period or so where Steve was a background character and the others got more focus. Artemis was definitely more of a major player than he was for post-Crisis, for example. I get that you like the other characters more and don't see Steve's treatment as a big deal, but Steve being a non-entity for that long is a major reason he's so far behind other iconic characters. For a stretch he got a raw deal, maybe not as much as some characters, but it still happened.

Perez got that right, still doesn't change the fact that he dropped the ball with Steve (and Etta). And Steve gets more focus currently, but writers are neglecting many of the women (but also creating new ones like Maggie or Zola). it's lousy all around. We can give a writer like Perez props for one thing and admit where he failed, same as the vice versa with other writers and characters. WW just has a lousy history of keeping all the major players in house and being consistently used.

Hey how often should the doom gate be opened? How powerful are we talking about? I mean if the Amazons do die from this shouldn’t they have a way to balance the numbers? Also if we had to, what if there are Amazons like Azz Amazons? I think that would also tackle the issue of the outside world and Amazons. Time has passed but for many wounds haven’t healed

Spectacular Member

I think it's entirely plausible for BDSM-based relationships to be very popular in Themyscira, probably a mix of the concepts Marston had in his stories, and of modern healthy BDSM aspects (lots of negotiations, benevolence, etc).

I wonder what if Aphrodite was the mother of the Amazons? Like she gave birth to them?

Mighty Member

I don't like black lesbian Etta. I feel like she is a horrible constellation prize because they won't let Diana be with a woman. I haven't liked Etta since the Marston comics, excluding Earth One.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 11-02-2019 at 03:36 PM.