View Poll Results: Who's The Better Character?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Batman

64 48.48%
  • Wolverine

68 51.52%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

To me Batman is the best Superhero of all time. He has everything. A compelling backstory, interesting supporting cast, The best villains in comics. Cool visually interesting locations. Wolverine is in the second tier of popular superheroes to me. These are characters that are popular in their own right but lack a lot of the surrounding elements (iconic supporting cast etc.)

I like Batman but Wolverine is a much more interesting character to me. I don't read a lot of DC but when I do pick up Batman comics I just can't get behind a regular dude being able to keep up with the likes of Superman and other powered beings. I remember with new 52 I was really enjoying the Court of Owls story but there was a point when Bats was trapped and had been beaten almost unconscious and he basically ends up winning the fight because he "Hulks up" ( a reference to the wrestler, not the green guy) and that was it. It wasn't clever or exciting it was just one of those stories where it started out awesome and I was thinking "oh man how is he gonna get out of this one" and the answer was... he get's out because he's Batman. Totally killed it for me.

I'm also very pragmatic so I tend to not like the idea of heroes who won't permanently stop villains who have killed hundreds of innocents. The Joker is possibly the most iconic villain of all time but Bat's should've put him down years ago.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

BANNED

I like Batman villains and supporting characters. Don't care much for the man himself.

Love me some Wolverine when he's written well(a rarity these days).

BANNED

Wolverine for me.

I like Batman but seeing him being able to see his other teammates move who move in speed of light or faster is unbelievable. Even when i watch Justice League movie where those flying villains wereeven able to hurt Wonder Woman but we see Batman beating them with his punches and kicks. Unbelievable. DC should announce that he is more than a human being. He should be a mutant.
    Last edited by RLAAMJR.; 01-17-2018 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    X-Men stories over Batman stories (mainly because of the Claremont run) but Batman over Wolverine.
    I never hated Wolverine because it was cool, but I did start to hate him when everything started to become "Wolverine and" the X-Men. Part of what made him interesting in the first place was that he was part of a team, in a whole (X-Men) universe of interesting characters. Writing as if all of those other characters are just background or supporting for him, really did not do him any favors, in my opinion.

I also liked him better when the healing factor didn't mean he apparently does not feel pain, and that all injury is irrelevant to him:

Don't try to pretend he's like Batman or even Captain America, if he can do stuff like that. Spider-Man can throw cars if he wants, and he would at least pause for a second, with most of the flesh burned off his face. Not this little tough guy, though! Too badass!

Nah, stupid. Old school Wolverine, for the win.
    Be kind to me, or treat me mean
    I'll make the most of it, I'm an extraordinary machine

Welp I'm way more an X-Men fan and Marvel fans than DC but I have to vote for Batman there isn't any contest here lmao.
    Last edited by Dethi; 01-17-2018 at 01:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    There has never been an X-Man that I cared very much about.
    Pretty much this for me - though Wolverine is the best of the bunch - followed by Xavier and Nightcrawler. The rest of them are quite unlikable.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Wolverine is a trifecta of Cliches though. Reluctant warrior/Sin eater or lethal Enforcer/ dickish loner with a heart of gold.
    I always thought the whole "loner" think for Wolverine is a bit odd considering he's on more team than anyone else.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Considering both characters are hideously overexposed, I vote neither.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Suspending my disbelief with Batman (when he's not the big brother prepared for every contingency the Justice League faces and fail at without their deus-ex machina) is easier than it is with Wolverine when it comes to being in their solo stories or with their family, Batman is better in this part. Wolverine has:

• A metal laced skeleton, completely covered by adamantium with the exception of his teeth. I never understood that.
    • The metal covers him completely that there is no room for nuclear flames to find their way through the pierces of them to damage his skeletal tissues, but flesh is still capable of growing out of it perfectly fine, blood flows fine, and his teeth are never damaged broken either mildly or fully.
    • Claws that grew out of him being injected by metal, or greatly extend the length of his already existing bone claws that should not make sense cause they damage the carpal tunnel by being there, or keep a space between the Ulna and the Radius that should render his arms completely obsolete and make him incapable of being a force to reckon with when it comes to bare HANDS combat.

Batman has the issue of being written the way Wolverine12 described him, that mostly occurred -I think- since Grant Morrison took over the reigns of Batman titles as mainstay creator. Before that Batman was a vulnerable human being who works through fatigue to some believable extent without interfering to the fictional rules established for the character, his vulnerability and fatigue help make him a valuable and interesting character as displayed by most animated shows (sans the Brave & the Bold, it's a parody of the idea of overpowered Batman paying tribute to the greater DC universe and shining light on the greater silver age gold) and movies.

Wolverine started as someone who does not heal faster than Spider-Man, to someone who heals like he has a philosopher stone from Fullmetal Alchemist mythos with a semi-unlimited supply of souls, it made his unbreakable image even harder to swallow than Batman.

I think I can write a thesis on how both of them slowly developed as mythological creatures based on their healing alone before completing comparisons between the two. I'll just say that Batman -for the longest time- has been a better character in that department.

If I wanted to go by foes as to compare characters though, I'll go with Wolverine has no one memorable or well used/overused outside of Sabertooth, and even with that he's pretty convoluted.
    For near a decade I stopped being able to see what makes Batman's rogue gallery special, they are mostly a bunch of psychomaniacs obsessed with their single themes or with Batman in one small fashion, and then there is not much else to most of them.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Realistically, how long would it take a person to put that uniform on?

BANNED

Man, I love Wolverine, so much.
    But...

Wolverine.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Allen View Post
    I never hated Wolverine because it was cool, but I did start to hate him when everything started to become "Wolverine and" the X-Men. Part of what made him interesting in the first place was that he was part of a team, in a whole (X-Men) universe of interesting characters. Writing as if all of those other characters are just background or supporting for him, really did not do him any favors, in my opinion.

I also liked him better when the healing factor didn't mean he apparently does not feel pain, and that all injury is irrelevant to him:

Don't try to pretend he's like Batman or even Captain America, if he can do stuff like that. Spider-Man can throw cars if he wants, and he would at least pause for a second, with most of the flesh burned off his face. Not this little tough guy, though! Too badass!

Nah, stupid. Old school Wolverine, for the win.
    You make a very compelling argument for Wolverine. Also, in the first Hellfire saga I loved the way Claremont used him, having him get taken down, then vowing to come back for revenge - "my turn." Just brilliant and it set the stage for him for years to come. He works best when he is a bit of an underdog, truth to tell. But as he has grown more and more in popularity, its become tougher and tougher to see him that way as a reader.

This is part of what makes Old Man Logan such a good idea. He became that underdog character again.

Batman has a similar status, actually, being an underdog because he doesn't have powers. Bat-God is taking the concept that makes Batman great (he has to work harder than anyone else) to a ridiculous level.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Impossible question because I love both. Both were huge parts of my childhood. I have to go with Batman, though.