Page 78 of 105 FirstFirst ... 286874757677787980818288 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 1569

Thread: Dark Phoenix

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PoorStudent View Post
    I didn't mean to say the two issue's were related, just giving two separate reasons as to F%^& this franchise. Reason #1 looks cheap as hell and Reason #2 Directors were jerks.

Ridley Scott's Fox Films have similar budgets but they look like big budget films, not this made for tv crap the x-men films are putting out. The budget of Alien Covenant and The Martian combined cost less then this film. Deadpool 2 cost half of this.
    The very fact Kinburg was allowed anywhere near this after X3 is all the indictment you need on the leadership end of things.

I watched Apocalypse the other night and several times I cringed at how bad the movie looked showing powers. Wolverine jumping at people. Anyone flying. Cyclops. It's fucking terrible. How anyone can watch a Marvel or DC movie and not see a massive difference is beyond me.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

It's crazy to think that the Last Stand and Dark Phoenix are 13 years apart and written by the same guy.

At the time, X3 was flamed for combining too many story lines, under-utilizing characters and being a step backwards from X2. The Cure, Xavier dying and the Phoenix wrapped into one movie. With characters like Rogue, Angel (who was featured heavily in promotion but did nothing in the film) and Cyclops getting the shaft.

Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Iceman and Beast all get their moments to shine. On the Brotherhood side, Pyro, Magneto, Juggernaut and Callisto were a lot of fun and demonstrate what irresponsible super powered being would be like.

From what I'm hearing about DP, Kinberg (the writer of both) seemed to repeat his mistakes but with different characters and the same source material. Real shame given the talented and enthusiastic cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I can't speak for Dark Phoenix as I have not seen it yet and will probably wait till it's on streaming. But take Apocalypse Singer never changed his style from X-Men (2000) to Apocalypse which makes the films feel dated to put in some perspective it was 16 years between X-Men (2000) and X-Men Apocalypse the same amount of time as between Batman (1989) and Batman Begins imagine if Nolan did a film with the same tone and look as Batman (1989) it would had been been there done that.
    I dont THINK apocalypse had the same look as the original Xmen movie at all. Apoclypse was the most comic book looking Xmen movie we got. It had alot of big CGI for better or worse. And included colors other then black. The problem I have is the tone and stale characters who they kept doing the same crap with. Also none of the movies outside DOFP felt the least bit epic or grand. I MEAN apoclypse AND dark Phoenix should feel huge like an Avengers level event. But instead the Xmen movie do these big world threatening stories and make them feel so small. The latest DCeU entries and the MCU just have this epic scope to the movies. I really dont know how to describe it better. Scope is the only word coming to me lol I'll edit this if I think of a better way to describe how small these movies feel.(Small is fine just not when your having wolrd threatening events like Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix. The scope of the movie should match the story. Otherwise is just feels hallow and empty. Like a bad CGI character with no weight to them)

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    It's crazy to think that the Last Stand and Dark Phoenix are 13 years apart and written by the same guy.

At the time, X3 was flamed for combining too many story lines, under-utilizing characters and being a step backwards from X2. The Cure, Xavier dying and the Phoenix wrapped into one movie. With characters like Rogue, Angel (who was featured heavily in promotion but did nothing in the film) and Cyclops getting the shaft.

Wolverine, Storm, Kitty, Iceman and Beast all get their moments to shine. On the Brotherhood side, Pyro, Magneto, Juggernaut and Callisto were a lot of fun and demonstrate what irresponsible super powered being would be like.

From what I'm hearing about DP, Kinberg (the writer of both) seemed to repeat his mistakes but with different characters and the same source material. Real shame given the talented and enthusiastic cast.
    Juggernaut was offensively bad to me. If your gonna butcher a chatacter that bad atleast make a good character. These movies loved using real important characters names for throw away characters. Juggernaut should just been an random unamed mutant.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Juggernaut was offensively bad to me. If your gonna butcher a chatacter that bad atleast make a good character. These movies loved using real important characters names for throw away characters. Juggernaut should just been an random unamed mutant.
    The whole group was offensively bad .Magneto has Acolytes and the Brotherhood which is group a bunch characters that can be used and tweaked for hollywood desires. Fox insisted on use import characters to mythos like real fans want to see X-men fight Madrox, Callisto, Juggernaut and Psylocke as agents of magneto . And no I am not talking about X-men apocalypse, "Psylocke" was in X3. Everytime they did they messed up a future story because the X-men is super interconnected. Because they used "Hellfire club" in first class,They really couldn't use them in Dark Phoenix. Riptide and Azazel can't real be used the comics way (the later is a blessing) because of first class. I hate how they used X-men property as just toy box

Astonishing Member

Saw it here in Australia today. It was... something.

You can find a detailed plot summary over on wikipedia. But there are a few plot points I want to mention
    spoilers:

• The film is set in 1992, yet no attempt is made to show appropriate aging yet again.

• Charles has his own equivalent to the Bat-Phone in his study that gives him a direct line to the President of The United States. International catastrophe? Call the X-Men. National Security problem? Call the X-Men.

• The X-Men mount a rescue mission to retrieve the crew of a space shuttle for NASA. They go in the X-Jet. Which now has the capability to reach escape velocity and go into outer space without the appropriate heat shielding to boot!

• Nightcrawler teleports Quicksilver aboard. Who gets out all the Astronauts. Nightcrawler remains intangible while Quicksilver does this. Apparently he moves so fast both he and Nightcrawler do not need helmets or any breathing apparatus.

• They return to the X-Jet. But oh no! The commander of the mission is still aboard trapped in the airlock. So Nightcrawler teleports Jean aboard to hold the shuttle together long enough for Nightcrawler to retrieve the commander. Quicksilver puts one of the space helmets on Jean and seals it airtight with silver masking tape. Masking tape!

• The X-Men arrive back on Earth to a heroes welcome. It is at this point it is revealed the X-Men are loved and adored the world over. They are national heroes and even have action figures of them. No, I don't have the wrong franchise. This seriously happens.

• Mystique blasts Charles in private as he placed them all in danger and that Jean almost died. Charles is enjoying the position the X-Men have that he is even willing to sacrifice mutants to maintain the peace. Mystique leaves, but not before pointing out that the women always save the men around there and he should consider changing the teams name to "X-Women."

• The movie shifts to reveal three spaceships landing on Earth (They aren't named at this point, but they are the D'Bari.) Who have been tracking the Phoenix Force since it destroyed their world. They kill random people and assume their forms. Their intention is to make Earth their new home (even though they could, I don't know, use the Phoenix Force to restore their own planet or something. But bad guys gotta be bad, right? Must be why the Phoenix destroyed them in the first place.

• The students are allowed to throw a party in the woods surrounding the mansion. The main entertainment is provided by Dazzler. But don't get too excited, Dazzler fans. This is all we get of her.

• Charles is at a thank you benefit being thrown by the President at the White House. Charles is enjoying the recognition and regales the audience until he senses Jean's outburts. He rushes back to the mansion.

• After Jean takes off to find her dead father (who supposedly died. But didn't), Charles and the X-Men catch up and confront her in the street. Cyclops tries to talk her down, but she won't listen. The police arrive, but this only results in Jean lashing out. She singlehandedly takes out everyone who attacks her.

• Mystique then tries to talk Jean down. Instead, she pushes Mystique away with a telekinetic blast. Mystique gets impaled through the chest and dies. Jean then leaves. J-Law must have been laughing all the way to the bank for her 10 minutes on screen.

• The U.S Government even went to the trouble of giving Magneto his own island. I guess it is one way to appease the bloke.

• Anti-mutant sentiment is stirred up by Jean's actions. Leading to the Government imposing strict laws and opening up Mutant Internment Camps for mutants classed as WMD's and a threat to national security. Which happens pretty darn quickly. Must have had them mothballed for a rainy day... just in case lol.

• The Phoenix force is starting to vaporize the surrounding X-Men (same as it did during Last Stand.) So Jean grabs Vux and flies up into space. There she lets the Phoenix overcome her. Both Jean and Vux are vaporized in the blast.

• Afterwards, the school becomes the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Cyclops, Storm, Quicksilver and Nightcrawler all become teachers to the other students. Hank becomes the new Headmaster. Charles retires and plays a game of chess with Magneto. Meanwhile a flicker of the Phoenix Force streaks faintly across the sky.
    end of spoilers

That is pretty much the film. Like some reviews say, the series really does go out with a whimper. In fact, you can tell they had it set up for another. I mean, the way it is left doesn't even match up with X-Men 1. Obviously, the deal with Disney happened (too little, too late.) They really should have pushed to do reshoots to alter the ending so it lined up. The film doesn't make a strong case for existing. It is just... there.

Still, I enjoyed it much more than Apocalypse. That's for damn sure.

I caved and saw it some things I noticed

spoilers:
    She caused the care accident because she wanted to listen to Werewolves in London a song not released for 3 more years.

The X-Men going into space was very Armageddon and it's space launch.

How does Quicksilver speed work in Zero Gravity?

WTF with Nightcrawler going into space with no actual suit just a helmet for air.

The age thing is jarring IMO especially when Hank and Raven comment it wasn't that long ago they were partying like the kids are now and how now they're the last of the First Class. It was a long time ago 30 years ago.

At no time did this feel like 1992 come on put a slap bracelet on one of the younger students something.

Magneto's new Homeland made me think "Mean while on the Walking Dead" it looked like Hill Top or Alexandria.

The Alien plot was dumb and made little sense with them wanting the thing that killed their people.

end of spoilers

This is my least liked entry into X-Men I recently watched Origins I at least had some fun with it.

This is a better Phoenix story than Last Stand but Last Stand was a better and more memorable film.

Even Apocalypse had some better parts than this IMO like Magneto and his new family I found this bland.

Mighty Member

Disappointing but not surprising.
    It's a shame that after the promise of X2 the series has fizzled out like this.
    Unfortunately I can't get excited about Marvel regaining the rights as they have started turning them into comedies. And although the X Men have humour they certainly aren't screwball comedies.
    They'd probably reboot God Loves, Man Kills as a satire directed by Taika Waititi.

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    Unfortunately I can't get excited about Marvel regaining the rights as they have started turning them into comedies. And although the X Men have humour they certainly aren't screwball comedies.
    They'd probably reboot God Loves, Man Kills as a satire directed by Taika Waititi.
    Can't tell if troll or not.
    Endgame, Winter Soldier,Civil War, Black Panther all slapstick comedies.

The fox films have been so bad that I'm more then willing to risk it with Marvel then continue with this studio. Part of the reason Fox got bought by disney in the first place is because they were under performing as a studio and that leadership is no longer in charge.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Saw it here in Australia today. It was... something.

You can find a detailed plot summary over on wikipedia. But there are a few plot points I want to mention
    spoilers:

• The film is set in 1992, yet no attempt is made to show appropriate aging yet again.

• Charles has his own equivalent to the Bat-Phone in his study that gives him a direct line to the President of The United States. International catastrophe? Call the X-Men. National Security problem? Call the X-Men.

• The X-Men mount a rescue mission to retrieve the crew of a space shuttle for NASA. They go in the X-Jet. Which now has the capability to reach escape velocity and go into outer space without the appropriate heat shielding to boot!

• Nightcrawler teleports Quicksilver aboard. Who gets out all the Astronauts. Nightcrawler remains intangible while Quicksilver does this. Apparently he moves so fast both he and Nightcrawler do not need helmets or any breathing apparatus.

• They return to the X-Jet. But oh no! The commander of the mission is still aboard trapped in the airlock. So Nightcrawler teleports Jean aboard to hold the shuttle together long enough for Nightcrawler to retrieve the commander. Quicksilver puts one of the space helmets on Jean and seals it airtight with silver masking tape. Masking tape!

• The X-Men arrive back on Earth to a heroes welcome. It is at this point it is revealed the X-Men are loved and adored the world over. They are national heroes and even have action figures of them. No, I don't have the wrong franchise. This seriously happens.

• Mystique blasts Charles in private as he placed them all in danger and that Jean almost died. Charles is enjoying the position the X-Men have that he is even willing to sacrifice mutants to maintain the peace. Mystique leaves, but not before pointing out that the women always save the men around there and he should consider changing the teams name to "X-Women."

• The movie shifts to reveal three spaceships landing on Earth (They aren't named at this point, but they are the D'Bari.) Who have been tracking the Phoenix Force since it destroyed their world. They kill random people and assume their forms. Their intention is to make Earth their new home (even though they could, I don't know, use the Phoenix Force to restore their own planet or something. But bad guys gotta be bad, right? Must be why the Phoenix destroyed them in the first place.

• The students are allowed to throw a party in the woods surrounding the mansion. The main entertainment is provided by Dazzler. But don't get too excited, Dazzler fans. This is all we get of her.

• Charles is at a thank you benefit being thrown by the President at the White House. Charles is enjoying the recognition and regales the audience until he senses Jean's outburts. He rushes back to the mansion.

• After Jean takes off to find her dead father (who supposedly died. But didn't), Charles and the X-Men catch up and confront her in the street. Cyclops tries to talk her down, but she won't listen. The police arrive, but this only results in Jean lashing out. She singlehandedly takes out everyone who attacks her.

• Mystique then tries to talk Jean down. Instead, she pushes Mystique away with a telekinetic blast. Mystique gets impaled through the chest and dies. Jean then leaves. J-Law must have been laughing all the way to the bank for her 10 minutes on screen.

• The U.S Government even went to the trouble of giving Magneto his own island. I guess it is one way to appease the bloke.

• Anti-mutant sentiment is stirred up by Jean's actions. Leading to the Government imposing strict laws and opening up Mutant Internment Camps for mutants classed as WMD's and a threat to national security. Which happens pretty darn quickly. Must have had them mothballed for a rainy day... just in case lol.

• The Phoenix force is starting to vaporize the surrounding X-Men (same as it did during Last Stand.) So Jean grabs Vux and flies up into space. There she lets the Phoenix overcome her. Both Jean and Vux are vaporized in the blast.

• Afterwards, the school becomes the Jean Grey School for Higher Learning. Cyclops, Storm, Quicksilver and Nightcrawler all become teachers to the other students. Hank becomes the new Headmaster. Charles retires and plays a game of chess with Magneto. Meanwhile a flicker of the Phoenix Force streaks faintly across the sky.
    end of spoilers

That is pretty much the film. Like some reviews say, the series really does go out with a whimper. In fact, you can tell they had it set up for another. I mean, the way it is left doesn't even match up with X-Men 1. Obviously, the deal with Disney happened (too little, too late.) They really should have pushed to do reshoots to alter the ending so it lined up. The film doesn't make a strong case for existing. It is just... there.

Still, I enjoyed it much more than Apocalypse. That's for damn sure.
    LOL...sounds like one of those random direct to streaming sci-fi movies.

Perhaps, Disney should have kept it in the vault and released it on Disney Plus (or whatever its called).

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Just saw FJ original Jean on red carpet if you're going to get plastic surgery get references 1st.
    One of the reasons I hated X3 was how Jansen was completely wasted in that.....you could see what a terrific DP she would have been if Ratner hadn't given the lead female role to Berry, who was simply awful.

Ultimate Member

Wait, did Simon Kinberg actually write X3 and Dark Phoenix??

Like, WTF???

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    The cool thing about marvel though is that it can balance darker more emotional movies with some commedy. Infinity War and End Game got pretty dark, but marvel still managed to interject humor into them.

The reason the MCU is suceeding while a lot of the competition is more uneven is because they're able to tackle serious themes without sucking the fun out of the super hero genre.

BANNED

These spoilers are.....wow. I had really low expectations for this (as in: "can't be worse than Last Stand!") and yet here we are. Kinburg should be summarily banished from Hollywood. Earth too while we're at it.

Extraordinary Member

The Last Stand had a good main plot with the cure, Kelsey Grammar as Beast, Magneto being a boss, and fun action scenes. Pretty much everything about the Phoenix plot was absolutely terrible, but take that out and the movie would be pretty good. Judging by the plot summaries this doesn't have any redeeming qualities.