Page 13 of 135 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I can't remember where I read it (Bleeding Cool, perhaps?). But when it was announced Bendis jumped ship from Marvel to DC, it said that his relationship with Marvel soured substantially over the two years or so prior, and part of that included Marvel's decision to re-title Spider-Man to Miles Morales: Spider-Man.
    But like I said, that didn't happen while he was writing the book... the rename wouldn't have happened if he hadn't left Marvel!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    But like I said, that didn't happen while he was writing the book... the rename wouldn't have happened if he hadn't left Marvel!
    The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I know I read it was a sticking point with him, so somehow he knew it was coming. Just because he wasn't writing it at the time doesn't mean it still didn't upset him.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

I know I read it was a sticking point with him, so somehow he knew it was coming. Just because he wasn't writing it at the time doesn't mean it still didn't upset him.
    Yeah, but why?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yeah, but why?
    Because satellite books don't sell as well as main books. Because he doesn't want his creations to look secondary. Who knows?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    Yeah, but why?
    Because he created Miles by putting his own personal experience with his adopted kid into Miles, so I think he felt he had a lot vested into the character even after he left the book. He was allegedly told by Marvel that Peter would be in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN while Miles would be in SPIDER-MAN, only for Marvel to add MILES MORALES to the title, which Bendis allegedly felt was diminishing Miles in the role.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Isn't Miss Martian too obvious to replace Martian Manhunter ?
    Doesn't he have something of a kid now in Justice League? I have no idea how Martian aging works but I could see them picking him. I'd guess they'd have to do similar shenanigans that they're doing with Jon though...

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Doesn't he have something of a kid now in Justice League? I have no idea how Martian aging works but I could see them picking him. I'd guess they'd have to do similar shenanigans that they're doing with Jon though...
    Or they could say that 5G happens X years after event Y

It'd be simpler that way and allow for the introduction of new characters DC is clearly wanting to use : Aquaman and Mera's still unborn kid, the probable daughter of Bruce and Selina, that sort of things.

Not really a kid but more of an odd feat of science that has gone on unexplained. Because if I recall it’s the son of Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but created from some fictional alternate reality future created by the Forger which was erased but somehow the kid survived it...talk about a mouthful.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Does MM even have a book for someone to replace?

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Not really a kid but more of an odd feat of science that has gone on unexplained. Because if I recall it’s the son of Martian Manhunter and Hawkgirl, but created from some fictional alternate reality future created by the Forger which was erased but somehow the kid survived it...talk about a mouthful.
    Hmm. Alright then.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Does MM even have a book for someone to replace?
    Yeah, I would expect DC to focus on the big 6 A listers. Martian Manhunter isn't really a book that can sell itself for long. Whereas I can see people following Flash, GL, and Aquaman based on the title alone.

Hmm. Alright then.

Yeah, I would expect DC to focus on the big 6 A listers. Martian Manhunter isn't really a book that can sell itself for long. Whereas I can see people following Flash, GL, and Aquaman based on the title alone.
    Agree, but there would still probably be a Justice League with members that might not have their own books...
    Superman: Jon
    Batman: Luke
    Wonder Woman: ????
    Green Lantern: Teen Lantern grown up (?)
    Aquaman: Current unborn child of Arthur/Mera
    Flash: Wallace? Unborn child of Barry/Iris?
    Martian Manhunter: M'gann or the other-dimensional child of Kendra/J'onn?
    Cyborg: No idea who would succeed Vic...or maybe he's ageless due to his Cyborg attributes?

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Agree, but there would still probably be a Justice League with members that might not have their own books...
    Superman: Jon
    Batman: Luke
    Wonder Woman: ????
    Green Lantern: Teen Lantern grown up (?)
    Aquaman: Current unborn child of Arthur/Mera
    Flash: Wallace? Unborn child of Barry/Iris?
    Martian Manhunter: M'gann or the other-dimensional child of Kendra/J'onn?
    Cyborg: No idea who would succeed Vic...or maybe he's ageless due to his Cyborg attributes?
    I'm wondering how much they mean by not being the "obvious choices."

Like, sidekicks and kids seem too obvious but the Jon as Superman thing seems like it might happen.

I don't think they'll replace Cyborg.

BANNED

Because he created Miles by putting his own personal experience with his adopted kid into Miles, so I think he felt he had a lot vested into the character even after he left the book. He was allegedly told by Marvel that Peter would be in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN while Miles would be in SPIDER-MAN, only for Marvel to add MILES MORALES to the title, which Bendis allegedly felt was diminishing Miles in the role.
    That's an interesting story. I would have tried to reach a compromise by calling the book Miles Morales: The Spectacular Spider-Man. No one can say that would be diminishing him because one of Peter Parker's most classic comic series is called Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm wondering how much they mean by not being the "obvious choices."

Like, sidekicks and kids seem too obvious but the Jon as Superman thing seems like it might happen.

I don't think they'll replace Cyborg.
    Same. I think it would be interesting if he were to become the mentor to the young heroes. Since Cyborg was previously the youngest member, it would be cool to see them switch the dynamic where this time he's the experienced hero guiding the youngsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Same. I think it would be interesting if he were to become the mentor to the young heroes. Since Cyborg was previously the youngest member, it would be cool to see them switch the dynamic where this time he's the experienced hero guiding the youngsters.
    I mean, but based on the new timeline Cyborg isn't even a founding member anymore, right? What would he have to teach.

Also, I think that it Aquaman's child would be both too obvious, done before with Superman, and WAY too young. I would say the same for any other child. I think they're going with Jon because who else could replace Superman but a half human/half Kryptonian son?

For the other I think what they mean by "less obvious" are characters in the periphery who's backstories don't depend on the current Leaguers. They *might* be going with Luke Fox for Batman cause he mostly does his own thing and isn't one of his adopted robins. I think.