Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default How would YOU have rebooted Superman in 2011?

Inspired by the thread about the 1986 reboot of course.

I'll go first:

First of, I would make sure that Superman had been around unequivocally longer than the New 52 five-year timeline. I'd have him debut about seven or eight years ago.

I would mostly have pretty much stuck to what Morrison did with his run in terms of establishing the new backstory. I would have perhaps leaned more heavily into the idea that Vyndyktv had tampered with Superman's history, orchestrating the deaths of the Kents. I'd actually have it strongly implied, if not revealed, that Vyndyktv had subtly changed things such that Lois and Clark didn't get involved.

I'd try keep the 'broad strokes' of Silver Age, Bronze Age and Post-COIE stories intact - including Doomsday, and the Death and Return. In the present-day, Superman would wear a suit akin to either of the two Rebirth suits, but I'd reveal that he wore the classic suit, trunks and all, for a major chunk of his career, and it would show up in flashbacks.

Superman would have 'outgrown' his early vigilante self, and I'd have him be a lot closer to Post-COIE Superman personality-wise, but he would still be a tough customer. He's one of the few heroes who has good relations with the authorities and there is some degree of mutual respect, but it'll be made clear that he answers to no one. I'd lean more heavily into the idea of Superman being the unofficial leader of the superhero community, being the first real superhero in this particular timeline. He has a friendly equation with Batman, despite some initial friction with the Dark Knight early in his career.

I would keep the angle of Lois Lane having become a TV reporter and news anchor for WGBS, with Clark now being the Daily Planet's top reporter. The way I'd play it is that Lois tends to focus more on Superman and stuff pertaining to the superhero side of things, while Clark focuses more on stories concerning the common man and 'ordinary' stuff like crime, corruption and politics. In this way, they are both equals in different domains. Clark and Lois would be close friends, and they may have dated briefly in the past but they don't really have a relationship as such. Superman and Lois sorta 'dated' years ago, but now their equation is more 'professional'. Clark is aware that in another timeline, he and Lois get together and he sometimes wonders about pursuing that relationship. I would reveal that Superman and Wonder Woman were briefly involved during their early Justice League days.

Lex Luthor in the past ran LexCorp and pretty much was the corrupt corporate mogul of the Post-COIE era. He later became a public villain, green armored suit and all. In the present-day, Luthor has been parolled and is trying to give the impression of having reformed, with Clark unsure of whether that's true or not.

And that's pretty much the basics of my approach.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

First off, I would have fired Eddie Berganza

Next, I would allow Grant Morrison to do his own thing, but made his run a special mini-series that came out bimonthly or more so that Rags Morales was able to do the art for the whole run, rather than sporadically and with various levels of quality.

Then, I would have Morrison sit down with George Perez (on the Superman monthly) and Greg Pak (on the Action Comics) and have them hash out the particulars of Superman's new history so that everyone is on the same page, but with the general mandate that, like Batman & Green Lantern, the broad strokes of all his prior history (Pre & Post-Crisis) is relatively intact (minus some $#!++* stories nobody liked anyways).

After the T-shirt and jeans era, establish that he adopted the classic suit before adopting his modern suit. However, this time, toss the Jim Lee-designed in the garbage can and use the Reborn suit instead.

BANNED

First, no romance with Wonder Woman. Build to Lois being "the one" ultimately, and go the Smallville route of making Lana the long-term love interest in the meantime, and possibly involve him in a triangle with her eventual endgame Pete Ross. To spice up the love life further, eventually bring in Lori Lemeries by giving Clark more of an undersea connection to Atlantis and Arthur Curry than Bruce Wayne. I'd even make Arthur part of a new "trinity" that still consists of Clark and Diana, just not with Bruce. Batman can be a mountain range that Clark sees in the distance, but can't get close to, Bruce is an enigma for a time, and is uneasy playing with others. Clark, Arthur and Diana have to work at getting him to earn their trust more.

I'd make Lex aware Clark and Superman are the same person fairly early on, and like all Machiavellian plotters, uses this knowledge at times where it's convenient to his purposes and it's the true trump card he uses to keep Clark's mits off of him wherever he starts crossing lines. Whenever Clark tries to defy Lex, Lex doesn't simply attempt to out him, but just sort of strings things along to meddle with his relationships, such as firing his friends, or making it appear Clark snitched up the Daily Planet's exposes on him to his international criminal backers, which send agents off against people he cares about. We could also borrow plot elements from the Smallville series where Johnathan is running for a congressional office and Lex offers to back him.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 11-09-2018 at 01:13 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'd have taken Action Comics #1 from 1938 as a starting point and built backwards from there with the idea that Action #1 now needs to be set in 2011.

Start the story off with Clark Kent arriving in Metropolis. He's about 25 years of age. Graduated from a midwestern college a few years back with a journalism degree. And he's got referral letters from a few teachers and small town editors that he hopes will get him an interview with Perry White at the Daily Planet. Clark's resume doesn't get him that interview, but while in the building he does overhear enough to get a lead on a story Perry wants his reporter's to land. And between some old contacts and some careful uses of his powers Clark lands a tentative job at the Planet.

At the same time we'd see the birth of Superman. He'd start out sort of like Morrison's T-shirt and jeans guy but without the cape or insignia. It would be more of Clark simply intervening with random street crime or trying to track leads looking "unClark-like". Other than using flight or speed to aid with getting from place to place or making a fast exit, he'd mainly rely on being a strong guy who is hard to hurt. Eventually he'd encounter something that called for him to use his powers in a more prominent manner (maybe a fire where he has to fly up to make a rescue or a need to chase a vehicle. That would lead to the Superman label and the costume would follow (maybe the cape is a way of helping him be more precise with flying) similar to Byrne's take or the one in the Lois & Clark show.

Lois is a TV journalist and a former protégé of Perry. She is not on the best of terms with him after leaving the Planet in the last year for her television gig. There would be rumors around her that she used sex to get stories. While they are untrue they would make her leery around Superman since her attraction to him would be warring with her efforts to keep it businesslike with "the story of the millennium". Her relationship with Clark would also be a bit complex. He's a professional rival, so she doesn't want him on HER stories. But she does like him (in a lost puppy way) and sees helping him out as a way of making amends with Perry.

Lex Luthor is not a politician and he is not a businessman. Both jobs involve dealing with stuff that bores the hell out of Lex. Sure if he set his mind to it he could account for every penny he's ever made, but that is what his AI is for. And his company has more contracts with governments than almost anyone this side of Ferris Air or Wayne Industries, but he has no patience for explaining things to bureaucrats and blowhards. As long as the checks keep clearing to pay for his private lab, those rare DaVinci sketches, that expedition looking into an island of dinosaurs and stuff like that; Lex is happy. Just so the local officials he's paid off keep anyone from looking into those missing persons cases until Lex cracks the problem that is killing his test subjects.

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    First, no romance with Wonder Woman. Build to Lois being "the one" ultimately, and go the Smallville route of making Lana the long-term love interest in the meantime, and possibly involve him in a triangle with her eventual endgame Pete Ross. To spice up the love life further, eventually bring in Lori Lemeries by giving Clark more of an undersea connection to Atlantis and Arthur Curry than Bruce Wayne. I'd even make Arthur part of a new "trinity" that still consists of Clark and Diana, just not with Bruce. Batman can be a mountain range that Clark sees in the distance, but can't get close to, Bruce is an enigma for a time, and is uneasy playing with others. Clark, Arthur and Diana have to work at getting him to earn their trust more.

I'd make Lex aware Clark and Superman are the same person fairly early on, and like all Machiavellian plotters, uses this knowledge at times where it's convenient to his purposes and it's the true trump card he uses to keep Clark's mits off of him wherever he starts crossing lines. Whenever Clark tries to defy Lex, Lex doesn't simply attempt to out him, but just sort of strings things along to meddle with his relationships, such as firing his friends, or making it appear Clark snitched up the Daily Planet's exposes on him to his international criminal backers, which send agents off against people he cares about. We could also borrow plot elements from the Smallville series where Johnathan is running for a congressional office and Lex offers to back him.
    See, because Nupes doesn't have to be the mainstream incarnation. I believe a few liberties can be taken, like say: he doesn't get together with Lois anymore. and as you've said, the Trinity being Superman, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. Lana being a Homo Magi who moved to Gotham from Smallville when she was 8 years old, where she discovered her ability to use magic when her parents were threatened by a Joe Chill-type low level criminal similar to the Waynes. where she was trained by John Zatara alongside his daughter, after completing her training as an adult. Lana departed from Gotham to Metropolis, saying goodbye to her parents. where she discovered a now-22 year-old Clark Kent, who's working for the Daily Star. one of the changes being that because she left with her parents when she was so young she never became childhood friends with Kent, and never fell in love with him either. so they have only a distant memory of each other from their youth. they slowly start becoming closer, first as friends and ultimately lovers.
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

It depends on how it's approached.

If we're talking "DC wants a reboot not a merger and that's that" then:

EVERYBODY starts from square one. No "time jump" between books. Let every bit of it play out in a whole new universe. Yes, that means no Robin, no Steel, no lots of characters we care about (at least, not as we know them). Clark stays in the T-shirt and jeans for awhile and Batman (and everyone) is still finding their way. You want to have a young universe, then have one - but unlike what DC did, it wouldn't be trying to have it both ways. Everybody starts fresh in a shared universe, and we see it all unfold "as if for the first time". (this is what I expected originally in 2011 before they spoiled it, lol)

If we're talking "do what you want", then:

I'd do something like Reborn did, but across DC - merge all time together so everybody has an "it kinda-sorta fits if you squint" history like Batman has. In addition, start an "Ultimate"-style universe and let all young/fresh/edgy writers just run crazy however they want. At times, have the two universes meet, but largely keep them separate. A lot of the ideas on this thread already show very well how this could go, and I love a lot of them.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    It depends on how it's approached.

If we're talking "DC wants a reboot not a merger and that's that" then:

EVERYBODY starts from square one. No "time jump" between books. Let every bit of it play out in a whole new universe. Yes, that means no Robin, no Steel, no lots of characters we care about (at least, not as we know them). Clark stays in the T-shirt and jeans for awhile and Batman (and everyone) is still finding their way. You want to have a young universe, then have one - but unlike what DC did, it wouldn't be trying to have it both ways. Everybody starts fresh in a shared universe, and we see it all unfold "as if for the first time". (this is what I expected originally in 2011 before they spoiled it, lol)

If we're talking "do what you want", then:

I'd do something like Reborn did, but across DC - merge all time together so everybody has an "it kinda-sorta fits if you squint" history like Batman has. In addition, start an "Ultimate"-style universe and let all young/fresh/edgy writers just run crazy however they want. At times, have the two universes meet, but largely keep them separate. A lot of the ideas on this thread already show very well how this could go, and I love a lot of them.
    I was talking from the point of view of the New 52 reboot, as it happened. What would you have done if you had to reboot Superman in that context?

A reboot starting from square one will never actually happen. Its just not feasible for DC to do that - unless they start it as an Ultimates-style universe that runs concurrently with the 'mainstream' earth before there is a 'passing of the torch', so to speak, to the new universe.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I was talking from the point of view of the New 52 reboot, as it happened. What would you have done if you had to reboot Superman in that context?

A reboot starting from square one will never actually happen. Its just not feasible for DC to do that - unless they start it as an Ultimates-style universe that runs concurrently with the 'mainstream' earth before there is a 'passing of the torch', so to speak, to the new universe.
    Oh, I know they'd never do it (now, anyway, lol) - I'm just saying it's the only true way to do a "reboot" the way they were pitching it. My preference would have been for the 2nd one, it's kind of a purer way to do what they did around "Infinite Crisis" (plus adding the New52 universe in). Honestly, I think DC can handle two universes worth of stories running at the same time. They'll always be a multiversal company, they may as well start running with it.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

I'm fine with what happened in Action comics. The bigger issue is the legacy characters how were handled and not just Supes's. Supergirl and Superboy started out well enough but Superboy got too messy for his own good.

I was a fan of Max Landis's Superman Doomsday pitch so I'd probably just do as the next arc.

I'd probably avoid the traditional JL lineup for a while and spotlight a bunch of B/C listers as his "League".

He'd date a superheroine but it wont be WW.

I might have made the distance between Action Comics and superman longer than 5 and I'd probably just make him a dad from the get go.

If i could do what i want, I'd probably folllow bruce timm's advice and go farther with the changes. Or just try writing one of the multiverse superman.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 11-09-2018 at 08:38 AM.

I loved everything that Morrison did in his Action run. It’s what came afterwards that turned me off. So I wouldn’t put Lobdell on the book after Morrison that’s for damn sure.

Honestly, I would had ressurected the idea of making an DC Ultimate universe. Yes, I know there are already different takes on the idea, but if you are going to reboot your universe, you reboot everything and not parts making everything confusing.
    You want to make a young Superman? ok, but make him in a different universe, building slowy. In the silver/bronze ages there were sotires of earth 2 and earth 1 Superman at the same time. I can't se why in the 2010s can't be different.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The ideal situation would be to hard restart the entire universe without the "five year" time line. That would require having control of more than just Superman. Start from the beginning. And stay there. First thing I would do is get rid of the body armor. The collar was hideous and everyone hated it. I don't mind him getting a Kryptonian suit, but why does Superman need armor? That's defeats the whole purpose of Superman. Having his suit be a Kryptonian one was one of the few good ideas from the DCEU. No Wonder Woman relationship. That was one of the things that turned people against the New 52 Superman. The idea that he and Lois won't be getting back together. Yes, I know that they planned to eventually end up together but go back to 2014-15 and tell everyone that. The timeline problems was one of the main things that also killed the New 52. Either it's a hard restart or it isn't. And, as controversial as it would be, I'd keep the Kents alive. If we were talking about an older Superman, I could understand why he would no longer need them. But we're talking about a 20 year old man. Who needs some sort of emotional support system. If there's one thing about the early New 52 that I didn't like, it was that he didn't have any outside support system.

The primary influence would be the GA Superman. Fewer aliens and monsters, and more gangsters and mobsters. Since people loved the "defender of the little guy" Superman why not go back to those same concepts in the stories? Stopping the sale of super-weapons and using his journalism skills to expose mobsters running the city. Go in a different direction.
    Assassinate Putin!

To be frank if I'd been asked at the time how I would do it, I just wouldn't have done it. There was nothing so broken about the pre-Flashpoint Superman that it absolutely needed a reboot to fix. I'd 100% have advocated for bringing back Chris and doing, basically, stuff in the same vein as the stuff they were doing with Jon-as-Superboy during Rebirth, except calling Chris Superlad instead of Superboy, so as to avoid conflict with Conner's name. That and just... editorially mandate that Superman's got to be a decisive and passionate figure instead of a sad sack. Maybe add some more grassroots politics to Clark's experience.

I don't have to imagine it very much because I distinctly remember the kinds of stories I was thinking I wanted for the DCU going forward at the time, and that was basically what I wanted. Meanwhile, Supergirl would have moved in with the Legion permanently, married Brainiac Five, and had a kid of her own. Also, DickBats would have stayed on a two-man-team with Damian forever. This is what I wanted at the time. I never would have come up with the New 52 or any variation on it.

In retrospect, asking what I'd do if I went back in time now with a time machine and had a gun to my head that I have to reboot the Superman line, I basically think that Bored at 3:00AM has the right idea. Give Morrison the same basic free reign he had, keep the other writers (Johns, Perez, etc.) on the same page as him so they can't misinterpret the Man of Tomorrow as "a moody, lonely weirdo who didn’t consider himself human at all and is mistrusted by the very world he seeks to protect" as Davidmann95 pointed out that some of them did. And also fire Berganza, and also use the excellent, beautiful Reborn suit instead of Jim Lee's hot mess of extremely variable quality. I'd also have them use either the Man of Steel "S" logo or the unused All-Star logo with just the two pieces of yellow instead of five, just out of personal preference, but that's less of a real idea and more of a design choice.

I'd also limit the failed Wonder Woman romance to maybe a six month arc and then have him date someone else in a romance equally doomed to failure, like Mayson Drake or Brainiac Five, just to show that romance doesn't have to mean soulmates. And I guess rush Supergirl into her Rebirth state instead of going through her New 52 state first. She just works better as a sweetheart.
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Took me a while, I'm back Netherman14's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Honestly, I would had ressurected the idea of making an DC Ultimate universe. Yes, I know there are already different takes on the idea, but if you are going to reboot your universe, you reboot everything and not parts making everything confusing.
    You want to make a young Superman? ok, but make him in a different universe, building slowy. In the silver/bronze ages there were sotires of earth 2 and earth 1 Superman at the same time. I can't se why in the 2010s can't be different.
    We did have two Superman, during the New 52 and DC You eras. I'm personally focusing only on the Kal-Els of Prime Earth and Earth 2.

Two Superman of Two Earths.jpg
    Pull-List:

DC: Batman: Damned, The Green Lantern. Young Justice. Wonder Twins

Boom!: Ronin Samurai.

I don't think I would have done much differently. Morrison's Action Comics was a great start for the new Superman, it is what came after it that was a problem.

So I would have made all the writers that were working on Superman books sit down with Morrison so that Morrison could tell them what he was doing so they could follow his lead. And if Morrison did not know, he would have had to figure it out quickly.

I would have also not used Jim Lee's costume and I would not have put Superman in a relationship with Wonder Woman.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman