Page 89 of 133 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,335 of 1989

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    what story is this from?
    New 52 JLD #35

Do most of Zatannas stories revolve around her dad a lot? I read this was a really annoying thing with her? I'm in the middle of reading some of her old stuff and I thought of this. Also I LOVED her in Seven Soldiers but I also remembered that he was in it to (I forgot this I guess? I mostly remembered how it humanized her and showed her powers being really trippy, Its been a while.). So is this a sexist thing still that she can't be important without him somehow? (And somehow me forgetting this being kinda sexist?) Seven Soldiers is my FAVORITE story with her in it (I haven't read everything of her in it, just a few and whatever I feel like. :x ) and I feel bad liking it and knowing this. xD;;; *screams into the void*

Quote Originally Posted by comic_creechur View Post
    Do most of Zatannas stories revolve around her dad a lot? I read this was a really annoying thing with her? I'm in the middle of reading some of her old stuff and I thought of this. Also I LOVED her in Seven Soldiers but I also remembered that he was in it to (I forgot this I guess? I mostly remembered how it humanized her and showed her powers being really trippy, Its been a while.). So is this a sexist thing still that she can't be important without him somehow? (And somehow me forgetting this being kinda sexist?) Seven Soldiers is my FAVORITE story with her in it (I haven't read everything of her in it, just a few and whatever I feel like. :x ) and I feel bad liking it and knowing this. xD;;; *screams into the void*
    It’s definitely her most re-occurring plot beat.

Well, I'm not saying Zatanna should revolve around her dad butttttt...he is an important figure in her life and she's basically his legacy, so I feel like it just depends on how you approach it.

I wish they brought up her mom more.

Astonishing Member

Zatanna's dad is why she got into this whole business in the first place (like Bruce Wayne's parents?), so it's seminal to her story as a super.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Zatanna's dad is why she got into this whole business in the first place (like Bruce Wayne's parents?), so it's seminal to her story as a super.
    Yeah, like her iconic costume is her basically wearing a feminized version of his look, partially to honor him.

Seven Soldiers is one of my favorite Zatanna stories as well. I don't think her father's presence is sexist at all, he is an important part of her life.

I do think it's tiring when there is multiple consecutive stories where she meets her fathers ghost (Seven Soldiers, Reign In Hell, first arc in her ongoing, the end of the most recent JLD arc) and then has to let him go even if each individual story is fun on it's own.

Yaaaaaas. In her SS mini story I think everything else about it was so good its why I forgot he shows up near the end, I only thought about him while reading some of her older stories. xD;

So is she forever stagnant in growth because of that? How could they fix this? Just lightly mention him... no ghost/closure bit?

Also, just wanted to ask about this. This page always kind of confused me (Yes I'm in the minority I think she should wear pants or at least modesty shorts, no boob slingshots, SS Zee mixes magic with sexy well so I'm ok with it): https://i.imgur.com/dly7ZXU.jpg (From SS Zatanna #4 page 1)
    Zatanna sounds like shes being sarcastic about enjoying wearing her provocative clothes, then in the last panel she talks about riding the big flying horse like a car jokingly almost. When I first read this I assumed it was being meta about superheroes dressing up sexy because comics are about escapism and fun, it doesn't have to be realistic. So that's what I assumed the line was about. But rereading it, Is that really what its referring to, or does Zee lowkey like dressing up like this? In a feminist way, not getting shit for it and probably understands not everyone in her audience gets it. This has always bugged me sorta. Thoughts?

Yaaaaaas. In her SS mini story I think everything else about it was so good its why I forgot he shows up near the end, I only thought about him while reading some of her older stories. xD;

So is she forever stagnant in growth because of that? How could they fix this? Just lightly mention him... no ghost/closure bit?

Also, just wanted to ask about this. This page always kind of confused me (Yes I'm in the minority I think she should wear pants or at least modesty shorts, no boob slingshots, SS Zee mixes magic with sexy well so I'm ok with it): https://i.imgur.com/dly7ZXU.jpg (From SS Zatanna #4 page 1)
    Zatanna sounds like shes being sarcastic about enjoying wearing her provocative clothes, then in the last panel she talks about riding the big flying horse like a car jokingly almost. When I first read this I assumed it was being meta about superheroes dressing up sexy because comics are about escapism and fun, it doesn't have to be realistic. So that's what I assumed the line was about. But rereading it, Is that really what its referring to, or does Zee lowkey like dressing up like this? In a feminist way, not getting shit for it and probably understands not everyone in her audience gets it. This has always bugged me sorta. Thoughts?
    I don't think her dad makes her stagnant per se...it depends on how he's used in the story.

Zatanna being kinky wouldn't be all that outlandish .

I think she likes flamboyant and attention-grabbing outfits. She's a showwoman, at the end of the day.

I don't like to read JLD anymore. The pages every month have been halved. The art is no longer the quality we had before and Ram V seems to be focusing on new characters .
    I love to see Zatanna but do something more with her than giving her more power. I just want stories that tell me she's someone unique, someone with her own style and not just another generic magic user.

Right now I feel Ram V only know two thing about her-
    Backward talking and Constantine's girlfriend.

I don't think she is stagnant because of her father. I don't like her talking to his ghost because that takes away from the tragedy of his death but I like flashbacks which shows us how he helped shape her into the person she is today. Zatara is cool. I think the relationship with Constantine, anchoring to JLD and trying to turn her into a generic goth girl does her more harm than mentioning her father.

I think writers just need to look deeper into her history and relationships so they can explore new possibilities with her character. For instance, Zatanna's mother comes from the Hidden City, is a powerful sorceress herself and was held hostage for her power. There has to be an interesting story there. There is also her relationship with Zachary, Mickey (her stage manager from her ongoing), Misty, Batman, Barry Allen and Raven which could make for an interesting story. There also villains from her older stories like Allura, King Inferno, the Druid, who could all use some dusting up and modernizing.

As for her clothing, I would say she dresses up for her own amusement and because it's part of her act. Like all performers she likes the attention. Plus she's a powerful mage so she doesn't need body armor and can have fun with her powers.

Maria Laura Sanapo

Did they even mention her father in the JLD animated movie? I know 90% of her character there was her relationship with Constantine .

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Tom Derenick

Kind of realizing that while I don't have many strong opinions on Giovani, I definitely prefer him with his moustache.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Kind of realizing that while I don't have many strong opinions on Giovani, I definitely prefer him with his moustache.
    Wait, that's supposed to be Zatara? No wonder I didn't recognized him .