Page 134 of 283 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 1,996 to 2,010 of 4237

Thread: Wandavision

Quote Originally Posted by MaximoffTrash View Post
    Like how? Her dad is former Dark Dimension royality. It's not like Dark Dimension and Earth has free passage or else Dorm will invade any time.
    Also Clea being a Dark Dimension dweller is kinda essential to her character, her relationship with Stephen also has the dilemma of both them having to take care of their own people. Making her a random sorceress unware of her own nature will undermine her basic character premise.
    Okay, pay attention to the context of that statement.

It's also based on an assumption that given the changes to Dormamu and the dark dimension, they'd probably reinterpret Clea as a more Antichrist like figure, born into the mortal world and oblivious to her own nature to begin with, and is currently just seen as another of the wizards.
    A straight up comic identical interpretation of Clea is not happening.
    It's at odds at with everything they've established about Dormamu and the dark dimension in the MCU; he's a more an all consuming lovecraftian like entity there and the dark dimension is not hospitable to anything not him or a mindless one, so you can't have normal people just living there.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 02-28-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I'm not talking about necromancy, though, which is why I mentioned how they brought Loki and Gamora back. They could pluck ATJ's Pietro from a timeline where his life was basically the same up until the events of AOU, but he survived instead. It was a death that everybody agreed was unnecessary and a waste of the character, so I doubt anyone would actually complain about it being undone. If they don't wanna do it, fine, but they shouldn't try to replace him with someone who is a completely different person either, because I just don't see how that adds anything to the story. 'Cause like... that world is not Peter's. He doesn't have his family. He doesn't have the X-Men. Mutants aren't even a thing yet. Wanda and the Avengers mean nothing to him. He can't relate to Wanda's trauma or backstory. Why should he care about them to the point he would just give up on his home world to be there? It's not something that has any justification to exist beyond a temporary fanservice.
    Oh yeah, I understand where you're coming from and I absolutely agree with you. I was never a big fan of putting in a "fake" Quicksilver into WandaVision. I really like Peters, don't get me wrong, and I think he's more suited to play the weird uncle than ATJ was. But all it has done is increased speculation about mutants and the X-Men. It takes the focus away from Wanda overcoming her emotional problems. I think a lot of people are now more interested in figuring out who Fietro is as opposed to what's going on with Wanda and Vision. And that's a shame. Because the series is doing some solid character work with both of them. If Peters is the Fox Quicksilver, I think he'll want to return home once the mind control has been lifted off of him. I don't think ATJ will come back because WandaVision is all about Wanda moving on from losing the people she loved in her life. If ATJ returned, I think that would diminish that storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    I kind of suspect Dottie's an agent of that group.
    I thought that Dottie was actually Wong in disguise!

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I kind of wish they'd drop the telepathy...
    If she's a true magic wielder, and a high level one at that, it only makes sense that Wanda has telepathy (at least thought projection), illusion casting, the ability to manipulate the minds of lesser developed individuals, etc. That's the basic tool kit of practitioners of magic in the Marvel Universe. But I agree that being able to read someone's mind should either require a specific magic spell, or a mystical artifact like the Eye of Agamotto. I don't think any magic-based telepath should be able to walk into a room and automatically know what everyone is thinking without casting a spell, like mutant telepaths can. It's just my preference, but I prefer it when spellcasting is required to accomplish 99% of what a magic wielder does. The spells are what makes them cool, not just the effects.

The only confusing part is that I don't know what is Wanda's core powerset any more. I thought probability warping was her base power, with magic thrown in as a side hustle, but now it sounds like she's won some kind of mysticism lottery and was born with the powers of a "Scarlet" sorcerer, whatever that means, with the implication being that all of her powers from reality warping to telepathy and beyond are her "core" abilities. That's one hell of a tool kit. Guess I'll find out more in the next episode.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-28-2021 at 01:07 PM.

spoilers:
    I gave this episode 10/10, but it doesn't mean I liked ALL of it. Some of Agatha's "therapy session" was gratuitous in my opinion. Here is a comment I found which I LARGELY agree with:

"Felt like a bunch of flashbacks that were painstakingly telling me **** I already knew. Also, trying to tell me about someone's horrible trauma 5 minutes after they literally showed a coven of witches in the 1600s shooting magic lasers at each others comes off as comical. A so-called dark and gritty eastern European cold war drama doesn't mix with magic runes and witch hexes. And I say so-called dark and gritty because the way Pietro and Wanda were just calmly hiding under the bed, without panicking or crying and STILL talking English for no reason with pretty CG sparks flying around seemed comical to me. And then huge bomb just chunks into the room without exploding with the company Logo and for extra on the noise imagery, the TV is still running in the rubble??? Come on man. That entire scene scene was so incredibly clinical, so stilted and "clean' that it comes off as comedic. I really liked the episode overall but that scene especially was ill-conceived, terribly staged (literally, that apartment couldn't have looked more like a sound stage if they tried) and badly written."

I thought the writing for Wanda and Vision was unbelievably strong, as it has been throughout the entire series. The highlight of Episode 8 was unquestionably the conversation between Wanda and Vision at the Avengers HQ. Many folks online have stated that it was one of their favorites in the entire history of the MCU. Definitely made a lot of people think and reflect. That's why I thought it was a shame that Wanda and Vision barely interacted in that episode. Wanda gains SO MUCH from her relationship from Vision EMOTIONALLY. I like Peters and Hahn, but their talks with Olsen just don't have the same dynamic.
    end of spoilers

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Any word on whether or not a second season has been confirmed?

If next week's episode is the very last one, what would you like to see?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Any word on whether or not a second season has been confirmed?

If next week's episode is the very last one, what would you like to see?
    They said nothing yet. Could eventually happen but the show was made to be one season.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

If she's a true magic wielder, and a high level one at that, it only makes sense that Wanda has telepathy (at least thought projection), illusion casting, the ability to manipulate the minds of lesser developed individuals, etc. That's the basic tool kit of practitioners of magic in the Marvel Universe. But I agree that being able to read someone's mind should either require a specific magic spell, or a mystical artifact like the Eye of Agamotto. I don't think any magic-based telepath should be able to walk into a room and automatically know what everyone is thinking without casting a spell, like mutant telepaths can. It's just my preference, but I prefer it when spellcasting is required to accomplish 99% of what a magic wielder does. The spells are what makes them cool, not just the effects.

The only confusing part is that I don't know what is Wanda's core powerset any more. I thought probability warping was her base power, with magic thrown in as a side hustle, but now it sounds like she's won some kind of mysticism lottery and was born with the powers of a "Scarlet" sorcerer, whatever that means, with the implication being that all of her powers from reality warping to telepathy and beyond are her "core" abilities. That's one hell of a tool kit. Guess I'll find out more in the next episode.
    It's all under the banner of chaos magic and it's really been that way for the character since the 70s. It just wasn't called chaos magic then. And it's normally tied to Chthon. In the movies, the mind stone likely gave her telepathy. Chaos magic does the rest.

In comics I think she starts out with bad luck beams and then learns it was chaos magic all along which then gets revealed to really be reality warping. nowadays I think she has chaos magic that can warp reality sometimes. I think her movie version is the same just that instead of making bad luck she had Jean's powers. I do wonder what will be of Wamda's powerset after this, will she just keep the tp/tk and it will be acknowledged as magic or will she do other things

Quote Originally Posted by Albert1981 View Post
    spoilers:
    I gave this episode 10/10, but it doesn't mean I liked ALL of it. Some of Agatha's "therapy session" was gratuitous in my opinion. Here is a comment I found which I LARGELY agree with:

"Felt like a bunch of flashbacks that were painstakingly telling me **** I already knew. Also, trying to tell me about someone's horrible trauma 5 minutes after they literally showed a coven of witches in the 1600s shooting magic lasers at each others comes off as comical. A so-called dark and gritty eastern European cold war drama doesn't mix with magic runes and witch hexes. And I say so-called dark and gritty because the way Pietro and Wanda were just calmly hiding under the bed, without panicking or crying and STILL talking English for no reason with pretty CG sparks flying around seemed comical to me. And then huge bomb just chunks into the room without exploding with the company Logo and for extra on the noise imagery, the TV is still running in the rubble??? Come on man. That entire scene scene was so incredibly clinical, so stilted and "clean' that it comes off as comedic. I really liked the episode overall but that scene especially was ill-conceived, terribly staged (literally, that apartment couldn't have looked more like a sound stage if they tried) and badly written."

I thought the writing for Wanda and Vision was unbelievably strong, as it has been throughout the entire series. The highlight of Episode 8 was unquestionably the conversation between Wanda and Vision at the Avengers HQ. Many folks online have stated that it was one of their favorites in the entire history of the MCU. Definitely made a lot of people think and reflect. That's why I thought it was a shame that Wanda and Vision barely interacted in that episode. Wanda gains SO MUCH from her relationship from Vision EMOTIONALLY. I like Peters and Hahn, but their talks with Olsen just don't have the same dynamic.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    The purpose of the flashbacks are to fill in necessary blanks in Wanda's origin and to go through her traumas as a sort of therapy and to knock her out of her dream state. We did not know what her parents looked like, that she used her powers on the bomb, that she had a chance to grieve for Pietro or spend more time with Vision. These things were all useful. Dark and gritty anything mixes very well with magic runes and hexes. Especially for a character that wields a dark magic from an elder god in comics. The war is likely to reflect the Yugoslav wars of the 90s. The still speaking English thing while not being in America or talking to English speakers is a common Hollywood thing. They don't do subtitles a lot. Mainly indies do that.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    In comics I think she starts out with bad luck beams and then learns it was chaos magic all along which then gets revealed to really be reality warping. nowadays I think she has chaos magic that can warp reality sometimes. I think her movie version is the same just that instead of making bad luck she had Jean's powers. I do wonder what will be of Wamda's powerset after this, will she just keep the tp/tk and it will be acknowledged as magic or will she do other things
    Not really. She had hex spheres and bolts, probability altering powers, and several explanations before the Chaos magic stuff. But reality warping falls under the chaos magic. These things aren't separate. The confusion of that comes from Bendis' depiction of chaos magic where he said it didn't exist. Which it did. Doctor Strange had even used it to an extent. So they had to retcon chaos magic back in while having Pietro possessed by Chthon. All the ability explanations for her fall under chaos magic in comics.

Ultimate Member

New here. I have a theory as to what might be happening in Episode 9.

Does anyone think Kang is directly connected to this. Apologies if this has already been brought up, but he's connected to scarlet Witch by being a Nexus being, as well as Vision being reassembled in the Young Avengers, right? What if he's infiltrated SWORD and is using Hayward to get to Vision or Scarlet Witch?

On the whole mutant thing, I really don't see that happening. I know casting Evan Peters makes things questionable, but has Scarlet Witch ever really cared about the X-Men outside of HoM and No More Mutants? Plus, why introduce mutants here if she manifested her abilities as a child and mutants only do that when they hit puberty?

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    spoilers:
    The purpose of the flashbacks are to fill in necessary blanks in Wanda's origin and to go through her traumas as a sort of therapy and to knock her out of her dream state. We did not know what her parents looked like, that she used her powers on the bomb, that she had a chance to grieve for Pietro or spend more time with Vision. These things were all useful. Dark and gritty anything mixes very well with magic runes and hexes. Especially for a character that wields a dark magic from an elder god in comics. The war is likely to reflect the Yugoslav wars of the 90s. The still speaking English thing while not being in America or talking to English speakers is a common Hollywood thing. They don't do subtitles a lot. Mainly indies do that.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Well, now that you put it that way, I can see why the episode went the way it did. But hell, to watch the Dick Van Dyke show while a gun battle is raging outside is really weird to me!
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

The first (and to this date clearest) explanation of "chaos magic" was in the issue that introduced it, issue #10 of the 1998 Avengers relaunch (volume 3). Agatha Harkness explains to Wanda that she has energy-wielding mutant powers like her father Magneto, but the energy she can manipulate is chaos magic. When she's not tapping very deeply into this magic, her powers manifest the way they did in most comics: as hex bolts that can alter probabilities to make unlikely things happen. If she actually consciously taps into the magic and has the time and training to do a real spell, she can do bigger things.

But the point of the retcon is that everything she did in comics from her first appearance is a manifestation of her chaos magic, because that's the energy that powers her hexes.

Speaking of Agatha Harkness, spoilers:
    I'm becoming resigned that they probably won't have time to make her not an antagonist. She might be like Loki in the first Avengers movie, someone who doesn't always have to be an antagonist, but I don't think there's time to introduce another villain to the characters, if not the audience.

But at least this last episode did sort of give us Agatha as Wanda's mentor, since she was the one who revealed the true nature of Wanda's powers to her, and she was the one who finally broke Wanda out of her state of denial to face up to what she's gone through and how she got into this. So even if her motives were selfish she did help Wanda, and Westview, more than anyone in this series except Monica.
    end of spoilers

Ultimate Member

So how does chaos magic change matter?